Is there such thing as True fight finshing GNP? UFC 73 makes me wonder..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is there such thing as True fight finshing GNP? UFC 73 makes me wonder..
NatedawgThaM
7/8/07 3:24:03AM
UFC 73 was the worst GNP display I've ever seen!!! What the hells wrong with Tito, Rashad & Sean Sherk? Has Sean Sherk ever heard of winning by stopping his opponet? His training is beastly but he should focus on training on finishing fights. He does have 8 TKO's on his record but most of them are from Corners throwing in the towels or TKO cuts. He needs to use that beastly strength, speed and endurance and pound fighters into submission or TKOs.

Rashad and Tito was a disapointing match up. I thought they would go all out because of their so called "hatred" for each other but it just looked light another boring decision from each. They both need to stop doing boring takedowns and throwing only one or 2 elbows here and there to keep the ref from standing it up. Tito shold have done more of what he did the first 20 seconds fake a high kick or combo and slam Rashad down. Only problem was he didn't go all out with his trademark elbows. MMA's starting to become a boring sport because of Gameplans. Just taking people down and laying in preying. Who cares about not letting the guy up? Slam him down and don't keep him contained, unleash hell and if he stands up look for openings.

Another reason UFC 73 was boring. If you want a stacked card you need fights finshed, not easy called decisions. I actually would rather see a boring old boxing fight between 2 boring counterpunchers then see a horrible lay and prey PPV like this ever again. Only good fights were Silva's 1st title defense and 1st round of Big Nog & HH in which HH should have stopped Big Nog off that vicous huge head kick....

Bottom line. Quit laying and preying MMA!!!!! take them down and unleash hell on opponets faces!!!!
CWall33
7/8/07 4:36:11AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM
... and 1st round of Big Nog & HH in which HH should have stopped Big Nog off that vicous huge head kick....

Speaking of that, what was up with Herring not finishing the fight? He was in a perfect position to pound Nog into a referee stoppage, but he decided to lay off him, and bring it back to the feet? Why the hell would he do that?
ncordless
7/8/07 4:54:52AM
First off, regarding the question of ... to put it simply is wrestling an effective way of ending a fight and should proving that you can take someone down and control them be a reason for a judges decision?

I had an interesting conversation with my buddy tonight about the Hermes/Sherk fight. What we came up with was this:

Sherk controlled the fight all night and completely owned Hermes in position... at the same time, and you may not agree with me, Hermes was the only one who we ever thought had a chance of finishing the fight with his knees or his guillotines. So then what becomes more important, putting your opponent in danger or putting yourself in a dominating position? Yes, Sherk outpointed Hermes in takedowns... but the final minute and a half of the 5th round says it all. What kind of threat does pulling double legs and releasing and repeating like you are trying to pull a technical fall?

Keep in mind, I am from Iowa, and my background is wrestling. I think that the scoring system should be weighted towards putting your opponent in danger, over keeping control over your opponent.
veritas
7/8/07 6:27:12AM
As far as Herring not finishing the fight, ya what the hell was up with that? My friend said he thought the fight was rigged to confirm the hype and money spent on nogueira, and that he couldn't finish the fight with a victory. I dont necessarily agree, but what was Herring thinking!?! He had that fight ended if he would have jumped on the opportunity.

And I agree about Sherk needing to work on his ground n pound. Then again, as seen by Tito and Rashad, Tito is the best at ground and pound and couldn't get it done to Rashad, theres such thing as ground n pound defense. These guys just seem to neutralize each other or something on the ground. But come the fight with BJ/Sherk if it happens, Sherks gonna need some way to work a better offense, because BJ will probably find a way to submit him otherwise, I mean, he did Hughes, almost twice, and Hughes is like a better version of Sherk IMO.
Trapt1nw0nder
7/8/07 11:21:17AM
Sherk fights just like Manvel Gamburyan(or however you spell it)....He's just strong,and has amazing conditioning,but he just smothers fighters and doesnt even try to land powerful shots nor submissions

He cant keep this up for much longer before people start hating on him more than Tim Sylvia

I really wanted Franca to pull of a miracle,but i knew Sherk was gonna win exactly how he did....and i even told everyone that Franca's only shot was a knee while Sherk was shooting.........Instead of Franca trying to land shots on sherk after he hurt him in the 2nd,he should of gotten Sherks back and got the hooks in and should of gone for the choke.......lol......for fights like this i wish they would allow kicks and knees to a grounded opponent
zephead
7/8/07 12:08:48PM
Understand the fight game first. Styles make fights. When you have an accomplished BJJ player in Franca and a great wrestler like Sherk, they neutralize each other. It was a chess match. A great fight IMO.

To ground wizards going at it. Great transitions. Sherk proved just how good is chin is. Sherk proved what conditioning is all about.
iwannabesedated
7/8/07 12:31:56PM
I thought 73 was pretty good...other than Big John standing Nate and Silva up when both were busy on the ground..Kinda makes me think..they like to see the Ko....also i think Herring didnt finish NOG cause he was scared he would get caught.I cant say everyone but most MMA people know that NOG has a head like a brick..and Herring for the third time definitily knows that.But Heath did impress me in that fight.He lost his Debut then annihilated Imes...and had a nice fight with nog...I like the Ref who did their fight..Lavigne?? Maybe...but Dean and Big John seem to stop fights sometimes too early IMHO.Yeah im sure herring was shocked when he cracked nog...like us all...but props to the ref...for letting it go on...more fights should be that way.
DJDark41
7/8/07 1:45:29PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

UFC 73 was the worst GNP display I've ever seen!!! What the hells wrong with Tito, Rashad & Sean Sherk? Has Sean Sherk ever heard of winning by stopping his opponet? His training is beastly but he should focus on training on finishing fights. He does have 8 TKO's on his record but most of them are from Corners throwing in the towels or TKO cuts. He needs to use that beastly strength, speed and endurance and pound fighters into submission or TKOs.

When you start training to finish a 5 round fight, your in bad shape. You can never train to finish a 5 round fight, because if you go into it thinking, "this fight is gonna take 2 minutes," then you have to fight for 25 minutes and your exhausted. Rashad Evans/Tito Ortiz was dumb, shouldn't have been a draw. And I honestly don't understand why Herring let off Big Nog, he probably could've finished it.
cmill21
7/8/07 2:33:38PM
I think the reason he didn't pounce was because Nog has a rep of being a monster when it comes to taking punishment. When he wen't down he wanted him to stand up so he could make sure he woulden't get trapped in a submission.
kimoron
7/8/07 3:25:05PM
its pretty obvious that herring was afraid to go to the canvas after he landed the head kick. herring should have pursued him to the ground to try and pound him out but when it comes down to it he was afraid of nogs guard. rocked or not thats still the most dangerous guard in the hw division. tito and rashad was a wrestling match that had tito ahead but rashads wrestling and titos fence grabbing gave rashad a chance. if rashad can compose himself a little more standing up i think he takes their next encounter. sherk displayed great takedowns and control but his cautious approach when he was clearly in a dominant position shows me that he isnt willing to take a risk, no matter how small, even if it means ending the fight. franca fought his heart out and im sure most people didnt think that he could go the five rounds. sherk is an animal but i am anything but a fan when it comes to his ways of winning. the sooner he losses the belt the better.
warglory
7/8/07 3:48:31PM

Posted by ncordless

First off, regarding the question of ... to put it simply is wrestling an effective way of ending a fight and should proving that you can take someone down and control them be a reason for a judges decision?

I had an interesting conversation with my buddy tonight about the Hermes/Sherk fight. What we came up with was this:

Sherk controlled the fight all night and completely owned Hermes in position... at the same time, and you may not agree with me, Hermes was the only one who we ever thought had a chance of finishing the fight with his knees or his guillotines. So then what becomes more important, putting your opponent in danger or putting yourself in a dominating position? Yes, Sherk outpointed Hermes in takedowns... but the final minute and a half of the 5th round says it all. What kind of threat does pulling double legs and releasing and repeating like you are trying to pull a technical fall?

Keep in mind, I am from Iowa, and my background is wrestling. I think that the scoring system should be weighted towards putting your opponent in danger, over keeping control over your opponent.

I completely agree.
TheRealClayman
7/8/07 4:26:10PM
I don't think that the Sherk fight was as bad as it is being made out to be. Sherk did his job. Why not give Franca the credit he deserves for being able to survive the pounding he took? You can't hide in the turtle positon as much as Franca did last night and get a victory because you landed a couple knees here and there. I am by no means a Sherk fan , but he earned the victory last night. I do however agree that finishling off an opponent should be something he works on.