what are some thing ufc needs to do in 2008?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » what are some thing ufc needs to do in 2008?
ricoj3323
12/17/07 1:40:47PM
well i think some of things the ufc needs to do for the new year is not have anymore ppvs like ufc 76 or ufc 72 or ufc 78, the ufc needs to have more notable headliners no more wannabe main events. the ufc needs to secure more notable free agents and i even think they should purchase a couple of organizatons like TKO, WCO Fighting , HCF to add some more talent and make the wec and ufc alot more bigger. the ufc can't have no key free agent losses, they can't afford to lose top name guys and i think they should work with m-1 just once to put on fedor vs randy. the ufc needs to always have marquee matchups which would attract big draws. and the ultimate fighter needs to get alot better. well i think the ufc will always be number 1 no matter what

give me ur opinion on what the ufc should do in the upcoming year
mrsmiley
12/17/07 1:43:05PM
Have a grand Prix.Even though the fighters could only fight once in a night,span it out over the course of several PPV's and fight night lives.You could make a good case to do this in any weight division in the UFC.
cowcatcher
12/17/07 1:47:53PM
hire a new ref or two so they can get rid of yves levigne
make nice with randy and do a cross promo show with m-1 so we can see that damn fedor fight
put out a memo to their fighters that they will be drug tested when they fight so these guys quit doing them
get dana white a thesaurus so he can learn another adjective besides the f-bomb
give me a cushy job with little to no responsibility and a high wage
start publicating their own top 10 rankings in each class
take a closer look at how they are treating their fighters, and work on improving some of the relationships that have been strained(randy, tito, barnett, lindland,etc)
and last but not least, send the ring girls to my house after each event so i can work out some aggression from the night of fights beforehand
bullettdodger
12/17/07 1:53:36PM

Posted by cowcatcher

hire a new ref or two so they can get rid of yves levigne
make nice with randy and do a cross promo show with m-1 so we can see that damn fedor fight
put out a memo to their fighters that they will be drug tested when they fight so these guys quit doing them
get dana white a thesaurus so he can learn another adjective besides the f-bomb
give me a cushy job with little to no responsibility and a high wage
start publicating their own top 10 rankings in each class
take a closer look at how they are treating their fighters, and work on improving some of the relationships that have been strained(randy, tito, barnett, lindland,etc)
and last but not least, send the ring girls to my house after each event so i can work out some aggression from the night of fights beforehand

but ya gotta sub you for me when it comes to the cushy job and the ring girls
woodmo
12/17/07 3:02:14PM
1 title defense pay per view per month, 1 free show ( NOT TUF) every month- 45 days. Probably not possible on the title defense, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

They also need to convince Spike that unless they show something other than CSI for 8 hours a day they will leave the station.
juanez13
12/17/07 4:18:13PM

Posted by ricoj3323

well i think some of things the ufc needs to do for the new year is not have anymore ppvs like ufc 76 or ufc 72 or ufc 78, the ufc needs to have more notable headliners no more wannabe main events. the ufc needs to secure more notable free agents and i even think they should purchase a couple of organizatons like TKO, WCO Fighting , HCF to add some more talent and make the wec and ufc alot more bigger. the ufc can't have no key free agent losses, they can't afford to lose top name guys and i think they should work with m-1 just once to put on fedor vs randy. the ufc needs to always have marquee matchups which would attract big draws. and the ultimate fighter needs to get alot better. well i think the ufc will always be number 1 no matter what

give me ur opinion on what the ufc should do in the upcoming year

The ufc would never work with M-1 to make a fight, fact is they will never work with another org to do anything other than WEC because they own them, and this is a smart move by the UFC, because by making this fight, all they are doing is promoting another org other than themselves...UFC doesnt work or want to work with anybody else, they dont let their fighters fight anywhere else either, and thats why they are at the top
JBatch
12/17/07 7:35:09PM
1. They need each title defended twice a year.
2. They need to acquire the services of Paulo Filho, Aleks Emelianenko, Mayhem, Denis Kang and Takanori Gomi.
3. They could implement the knee's on the ground rule.
CactusBob
12/17/07 9:41:54PM
The UFC has to work on a more reliable judging system. The one they have now is not working. No qualm with the 10 point less scoring, but rather the people they have doing the actual scoring.
g_t_12
12/17/07 9:50:05PM
If you wanted the wildest, craziest fight ever, make this an annual event:

Put four fighters in the octagon at once. Teamed up or not, doesn't matter. That'd sure raise some eyebrows in the general public.

Come on, picture the carnage and mayhem! You could even mix up the weight classes.

BJ Penn vs Tim Silvia vs Rashad Evans vs Rich Franklin

Winner becomes Grand Czar of the UFC

prozacnation1978
12/17/07 9:53:43PM
i say mandate title defenses you have to defend no less than 3 times a year,
and a official top 10 in each weight classfrom the ufc would be nice, make legit title contenders matches from the number 1 and number 2 and add more punch to heavyweight and middleweight division, maybe add a featherweight division, or if a tittle is vacant have a grand prix tournament like pride did for the light weight and welter weight divisions in bushido .
better judging would also be good,
texuspete00
12/17/07 10:33:49PM
The no knees to the head on grounded opponents really makes me cry into my jack and coke when I see the combat being nerfed by it live and on screen.
SmileR
12/17/07 10:55:44PM

Posted by texuspete00

The no knees to the head on grounded opponents really makes me cry into my jack and coke when I see the combat being nerfed by it live and on screen.

Haha i loved the jack an coke bit! But agree completely with you man. Knees to the head should be allowed!

They NEED to keep Arlovski!!
2 title defense a year min.
Stomps and soccer kicks should be allowed also.

Ultimate_fighter
12/18/07 3:09:56PM
1. Only have Champions, Former Champions, or a fighter that just recently fought a champion on PPV. (Have at least 1 Title Bout a PPV)

2. Put all of the contenders on Ultimate Fight Nights.

3.Have at least 2 PPV's and 1 Ultimate Fight Night a month.

4. Get Fedor, Gomi, Barnnet, etc. (Need tons of more fighters)

5. Show more than 4-5 fights a PPV. (Possibly 7)

6. Knees to the head on a downed opponent. (No Soccer Head Kicks though)

Here are some of my oppinions of what they should do for 2008.
tepid55
12/18/07 3:44:33PM
They need to bring back Ricco Rodriguez, Trevor Prangley, Matt Lindland, Carlos Newton, and Caol Uno.
gartface
12/18/07 8:55:11PM
They definitely need to change the judging system, and I wouldn't mind seeing knees to the head of a downed opponent implemented.

As far as the fighters I want to see, The Emelienanko brothers (even though Aleks has a criminal record and probably would have problems getting a visa) , Barnett, Gil Melendez, Matt Lindland, Lawler, and Gomi.
mk1630
12/18/07 9:19:54PM
pretty much agree with most of you...

1. Add knees to a grounded opponent
2. Champion has to defend at least 3 times a year.
3. Try harder to sign more top talent especially for the middle weight divison.
4. If a belt is vacated, do a multi ppv tourney so the winners of the first round face each other in the 2nd ppv and so on until the finalists face each other in a 5 rounder for the belt.
5. Stop using champs for TUF.
Lay_N_Pray
12/19/07 2:54:36AM
Knees to the head of a downed opponent is more of a change the state athletic commissions will have to change. They would have to get recertified everywhere so that could be a pain.

More UFN type shows on TV to show the younger guys.

New format to TUF

New overall presentation at PPVs to keep things fresh

And replace Mike Goldberg if at all possible.
Mayhem13
12/19/07 12:47:39PM
they need to add yellow cards
add knees to the head of a downed opponent
make the Couture/Fedor fight happen
add a 145lb weightclass
add depth to the MW division by bringing in Lindland, Filho, Lawler, Ninja, and Kang, and Jason Miller..just to spice things up a bit..haha
other fighters I'd like to see them aquire (reasonable pick-ups..no fedors etc.)
Ben Rothwell
Jake Shields
Nick DIaz
Chris Horedecki
Wagney Fabiano
Vitor Belfort
Gilbert Melendez
Josh Thompson
d_block07
12/20/07 3:49:53AM
Fire Dana White
fullerene
12/20/07 7:27:52AM

Posted by d_block07

Fire Dana White

Is this an attempt to bring them back to the profitable pre-Dana White era?
tepid55
12/20/07 11:30:08AM
Mark Coleman might be a good addition to the heavyweight division.
pv3Hpv3p
12/20/07 5:02:59PM
ttt
Cobbs666
12/20/07 8:32:44PM

Posted by woodmo

1 title defense pay per view per month, 1 free show ( NOT TUF) every month- 45 days. Probably not possible on the title defense, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

They also need to convince Spike that unless they show something other than CSI for 8 hours a day they will leave the station.

ya CSI is the reason i miss alot of ufc on spike, like who honestly watches that much CSI it is ridiculous, or repeats of when animals attack
d_block07
12/20/07 11:00:52PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by d_block07

Fire Dana White

this is an attempt to bring them into the more enjoyable post Dana White era, where fans see the matchups they want and fighters get treated better

i do appreciate eveyrhting dana has done and im not saying that the ufc dosent provide entertaining fights i jsut think danas head has gotten way too big
fullerene
12/21/07 8:24:47AM

Posted by d_block07

Posted by fullerene

Posted by d_block07

Fire Dana White

this is an attempt to bring them into the more enjoyable post Dana White era, where fans see the matchups they want and fighters get treated better

i do appreciate eveyrhting dana has done and im not saying that the ufc dosent provide entertaining fights i jsut think danas head has gotten way too big

That's fair enough. I'm still not sure his head is as big as the most successful pro wrestling promoter of all time (Vince McMahon) or the most successful boxing promoter of all time (Don King), but it's on it's way. Maybe he's joining the other two because that's the type of personality that's needed to promote a combat sport or maybe it will be a liability. I've said in other threads that I think Dana White will have a hard time keeping his position and influence in the UFC goes public because business types won't like dealing with him.

I think he's on the fighter's side BTW. He relates to them, understands what they do to train, what they need to do to win, etc. That's different than most CEOs. It's doubtful the CEO of General Motors visits the assembly line or a service station for anything but PR photos. As far as pay goes, I think it's in the UFC's interest to bring it up to a "living wage" so that it's roster of fighters can fight full time instead of compromising their abilities by working 2nd jobs. But the reality is that fighters are still making more money now than they did when the Fertitias bought the UFC.
Diamondback2
12/22/07 2:22:24PM
yeah most of the changes you guys want are out of the ufc's hands. most of that is athletic comission. as for getting more fighters, alot of the ones you want wont sign with the ufc. it's not the ufc's fault.
i think gomi said he wants to stay in japan (correct me if im wrong),
fedor won't sign to the ufc cause he can't do his sambo compitions. i can't blame the ufc for making a change just for fedor, he may be #1 in the world, but kudos to zuffa for sticking to thier guns. a professional fighter is a full time job, and i can understand the ufc not wanting to get thier fighters hurt. imagine a week b4 the randy/fedor fight fedor got hurt in a sambo compition. how pissed would all you guys be? you would all curse the ufc for letting fedor change that clause in his contract.
filiho, why bring him in? he won't fight Anderson. and there inst a whole lot of people otherwise, let him rule the wec for a while, till (if) Anderson loses his belt.
nick diaz is a great fighter, but i think he might be too much of a loose cannon. after the noons fight (i personally thought the middle finger's were hilarious) i saw he might be a little too immature to represent the ufc again, as i think he could become a champion.
someone said ricco... i haven't seen his recent fights, but inst that who fought bill on human weapon in the mma episode, its on my DVR but i don't feel like checking it. if that was ricco tho, not a good idea, he looked slow, and coudnt even take bill out.
linland, cmon do we need another LNP fighter?

i think the ufc's roster is amazing right now. it just dosent look like it because all the top fighters are losing to fighters we may have not taken serious enough. Chuck (Jardine), Shogun (Forrest),

give it some more time and then i think you'll start to see all these pride guys shine...

please god no yellow cards, although it would make sean sherk lose his whole payday this is not a nonstop sport. there is breaks needed mid-round. i know when i roll in BJJ and establish a mount i will pause for 10 secs or so and try and catch my breath. and no GP's for the love of god, worst idea ever, plus no athletic commission would allow it. and if you did it across multiple PPV's too many things could go wrong, training injuries, etc..

4 me tho, i would love to see at least 2 title defenses a year for champions, and no w8ing for the end of TUF, that shit is gay (unless one or both the fighters are hurt ala Rampage/Forrest).

Knees to the head of a downed opponent would make amazing changes to MMA. the double leg just got more dangerous, and would make standing up alot more of a risk. i think it would b nice, but athletic commissions suck.

a 145 division would be nice, but that division is not deep enough yet. its all faber and pulver. thats about all lol.

i would like to see them start getting the full websites for each event up earlier. the fact that ufc 80 website is up is a good start, but i rl love watching those interviews and highlight clips. i have not seen every single fight ever, not even close to it. but sometimes you see a clip that makes you find out which fight that was and watch it.

i would love to see a little less focus on the back of the head when the opponent is curled up with their arms at the side of the head. i fully understand why hitting the back of the head is illegal. but if thats all ur going to leave open, so be it. thats a pipe dream though, it would never happen because that is a way legit rule, just with some shades of grey.

on a unrelated note in the privews for the shogun/griffin fight you see shogun going the flying roundhouse kick, who was that against, i would love to see that fight!
Pinkalicous
12/23/07 9:06:42AM
1. 1 PPV a month with a title fight, no more bull $h!t cards.

2. Knees to a grounded opponent.

3. Keep big name free agents (Andre)

4. Sign big name free agents.

5. Work their a$$es off to get the Randy/Fedor fight.

6. Nude ring girls

7. Wrestlemania type PPV. (card filled with nothing but title fights and great match-ups).

I also liked the one about getting Dana a Thesaurus. But all-n-all the nude Ring girls would make a heck of a year in 2008!
ncordless
12/23/07 1:15:54PM
1. Knees to the head of a grounded opponent.

2. Keep signing the best fighters out there, including Fedor.

3. Work out an appropriate system of pay for professional athletes.

4. Get a weekly live fight night on network TV.

HMA123
12/23/07 8:31:26PM
Like a guy said on the last page, 4 dudes in the cage teamed up or not, that would be pretty sick .
Purge
12/24/07 10:00:56AM
They need to broaden the middleweight and heavyweight divisions