The Thin Line Between “Elusive” And Boring

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Thin Line Between “Elusive” And Boring
SmileR
5/27/08 5:49:05PM
In case you missed it somehow on Saturday night, Joe Rogan wants you to know that Lyoto Machida is elusive. And because he doesn’t trust your ability to pick up on this right away, he relies on repetition to get the point across. Conveniently, this viewpoint — the one that deems Machida elusive and Tito Ortiz hopelessly confounded by that elusiveness — is right in line with the plans of the UFC brass. Funny how that works, isn’t it?

I’m not saying that Rogan doesn’t truly feel this way about Machida. For all I know, he does. But the mere fact that the UFC was looking toward a future with one of the fighters in the Ortiz-Machida bout and probably not counting on any such future with the other really makes it difficult to take what we hear at face value.

If it had been Ortiz circling cautiously away for most of the fight, relying on a few sporadic fits of action to win a decision, would Rogan have praised him for being so elusive? Or would he have suggested, in some roundabout way, that Ortiz was avoiding the fight?

Link
teddythetuna
5/27/08 8:02:05PM
Ortiz is not a counterpuncher so if he was doing it during the Machida fight then he probably would have been running away. However, Machida does this in every fight and frustrates his opponents beyond belief so we all know he is an elusive fighter.
bigbubbano23
5/27/08 9:27:37PM
i guess thats how he wins fights. he runs then strikes. he kind of plays a kalib then when you chase him he goes whaaaaaaaaa leg kick head kick repeat= decsion victory.
JimiMak
5/27/08 9:27:52PM
Obviously written by a moron. The funny thing is I think there's gonna be a lot of mmahaters throwing out the boring card, however they're often the boxing lovers who tell us how non technical our matches are. you can't have it both ways.
mkiv9secsupra
5/27/08 9:28:23PM

Posted by teddythetuna

Ortiz is not a counterpuncher so if he was doing it during the Machida fight then he probably would have been running away. However, Machida does this in every fight and frustrates his opponents beyond belief so we all know he is an elusive fighter.

SO even if Ortiz's gameplan was to counterpunch then he would still have been running......This is completely a double standard and just a way to hype the fighter.
gartface
5/27/08 9:48:30PM

Posted by JimiMak

Obviously written by a moron. The funny thing is I think there's gonna be a lot of mmahaters throwing out the boring card, however they're often the boxing lovers who tell us how non technical our matches are. you can't have it both ways.

Couldn't say it better myself. Machida is very smart...and he's not running away, he's eluding. Just because a guy doesn't stand and bang blow for blow with someone, that makes him boring? WTF?
mkiv9secsupra
5/27/08 10:15:48PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by JimiMak

:thumpsup:
Couldn't say it better myself. Machida is very smart...and he's not running away, he's eluding. Just because a guy doesn't stand and bang blow for blow with someone, that makes him boring? WTF?

no no Chuck and Forrest both evade until a shot is available but somehow they seem to finish and not be boring. Machida STAYS out of range almost the entire fight. Yet other guys step into range to use their skill and still win. Machida is scared of being KO'ed so he stays away
Raykill
5/27/08 10:28:44PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by JimiMak

I agree with your agreement. I didnt think much about him before this fight. The guy is a smart fighter. Call it what you want. He gets the win and stays healthy doing it.
Its the other fighters job to do whatever he can to shut him down. If you cant , oh well train harder next time and figure out what you can do to stop him. I am sure Tito knew going into this fight what he was going to be dealing with and didnt do anything to change his style to counteract it.
seanfu
5/27/08 10:55:16PM
Welcome to a guy that has talent. And on top of that it is talent that has potential to finish fights if better developed for the UFC fanbase.

I'm sorry that some guys have supremely technical styles that the American audience wouldn't understand.

If Machidas fight was boring then Penn vs Sherk was boring. They just stood up and boxed for 3 rounds with a stunning finish to round 3 as well.

I'm sure if we bring kimbo to the UFC you'll feel much better
king_katool
5/28/08 9:05:51AM
ive seen every1 talking about this and its been a HUGE debate at work but IMHO machida is boring. yes i know he is techicnal and smarts fights i do agree he is probly the smartest guy in the UFC, i believe machida is very afraid to get KO'd and will probly end up like a vitor belfort, who? ye that guy back in the day every1 thought was the new god of MMA, smart effective yes, boring, HELL YES
gartface
5/28/08 9:44:27AM

Posted by Raykill

I agree with your agreement. I didnt think much about him before this fight. The guy is a smart fighter. Call it what you want. He gets the win and stays healthy doing it.
Its the other fighters job to do whatever he can to shut him down. If you cant , oh well train harder next time and figure out what you can do to stop him. I am sure Tito knew going into this fight what he was going to be dealing with and didnt do anything to change his style to counteract it.

Good stuff. Why should Machida be bashed on because he fought smart and Tito didn't?
fullerene
5/28/08 9:45:55AM

Posted by seanfu

Welcome to a guy that has talent. And on top of that it is talent that has potential to finish fights if better developed for the UFC fanbase.

I'm sorry that some guys have supremely technical styles that the American audience wouldn't understand.

This is the difficult to swallow truth. Machida isn't boring for lack of offense. He almost finished Ortiz with a shot on his feet and he took him down and controlled him at the end of 2 of 3 rounds. He also finished a fighter many had in their top 10 (Soku) in his last fight.

The reason people think he is boring is because his defense and movement is so good that nobody else can get their offense in. Ortiz, Nak, Soku--they were all supposed to take him down and GnP him into submission but it didn't happen. Guys like Bonnar, White and Franklin tried to strike with him and couldn't land anything cleanly. Is that something he should be criticized for? What fighter would choose to be hit if he could avoid it or would let himself get taken down by a guy he was beating on his feet? He is able to do what very few other fighters can do. That may make the fight boring if you're rooting for the other guy, but I don't think the blame should fall on him--at least not when he's landing offense of his own.
mrsmiley
5/28/08 10:50:46PM

Posted by Raykill

Posted by gartface

Posted by JimiMak

Thumbs up to all of you.