Thiago Silva could win.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thiago Silva could win.
Next Page »
POLL: Who wins? Silva or Machida?
Silva KO 24% (18)
Silva sub. 3% (2)
Silva dec. 3% (2)
Machida KO 30% (22)
Machida sub. 1% (1)
Machida dec. 39% (29)
hughesfan1
1/26/09 3:24:29PM
Does anyone else think Silva has any chance of beating Machida? I know alot of ppl think Machidas wins are of more notable opponents but its been a long time since he beat BJ or Rich & Soko never ammounted to anything after Pride & his dec. win over Ortiz wasnt anyhting impressive imo. Thiago has good KO power & I believe he has a very good shot at a KO or TKo victory. Thiagos TKOs over Irvin Mendes & Alexander were very good imo. WAR SILVA !
Bowen50
1/26/09 3:52:30PM
Thiago's agressive striking style fits right into what Machida does. he's a counter-striker. i think he's going to obliterate Thiago in the first round with a KO.
Twenty20Dollars
1/26/09 4:02:12PM
Silva TKO. Could saturday be any farther away?
cowcatcher
1/26/09 4:07:57PM
bowens got a great point about the style matchup here, and im hoping this one stays on the feet because it could end up being really exciting, but the little voice in my head that lead me to a 6-4 mark last event tells me this one is going to hit the ground and be a grinder the machida will get the nod on.

NOTE: probably not a good idea for anyone else to listen to that little voice in my head
grappler0000
1/26/09 4:09:31PM

Posted by hughesfan1

Does anyone else think Silva has any chance of beating Machida? I know alot of ppl think Machidas wins are of more notable opponents but its been a long time since he beat BJ or Rich & Soko never ammounted to anything after Pride & his dec. win over Ortiz wasnt anyhting impressive imo. Thiago has good KO power & I believe he has a very good shot at a KO or TKo victory. Thiagos TKOs over Irvin Mendes & Alexander were very good imo. WAR SILVA !

I think it will be another day in the office for Machida.

As for Thiago's victories that you mentioned...The TKO over Irvin was due to injury and if I remember correctly, Irvin was doing really well before the injury. Thiago didn't want any of Houston's standup and took the easy route controlling him on the ground. And considering Mendes doesn't have much of name in the sport, he gave Silva all he could handle until it hit the mat. Either way, all 3 have no ground game...there won't be a Plan B when he fights Machida.
Gipper
1/26/09 4:11:55PM
your damn rites thiago silva can win............he will win.
aaa9erh8er
1/26/09 6:12:11PM
i think he has a really good shot at the win
nickcuc547
1/26/09 6:43:33PM
i'm picking machida but silva absolutely has a shot, the guy is a great fighter and I expect a very close fight.
EvenFlow
1/26/09 6:53:17PM

Posted by Bowen50

Thiago's agressive striking style fits right into what Machida does. he's a counter-striker. i think he's going to obliterate Thiago in the first round with a KO.

Couldnt have said it better, cant prop you yet.
casey64
1/26/09 7:03:09PM
Dude,I would love to see Thiago win, Machida has skills,but he is a very boring fighter.
higdon10
1/26/09 7:10:21PM
WAR THIAGO!!!
Aether
1/26/09 7:38:09PM
I think the harder you push Machida the worse you get beat up and Thiago is going to push hard. I see Machida actually potentially finishing this fight inside of 3 rounds. I'm really not sure who the best style of fighter to beat Machida is... I'm thinking maybe a great submission artist with good takedowns who can eat a few punches on the way in without taking too much damage would be the kind of fighter to beat Machida.
State_Champ
1/26/09 9:38:16PM

Posted by hughesfan1

I thought Lyoto Machida's fight against Tito was very impressive. I was impressed that Machida managed to take almost no damage at all for 15 minutes.

I hope Silva KOs Machida but I doubt it will happen (I'm picking Lyoto).
gimmper
1/26/09 9:51:33PM
Someone's 0 has to go...Machida is so technical it's hard to go against him...But I love Silva, hope he clips Machida and spikes his head off the mat
copcopps
1/26/09 10:14:00PM
I'm placing money on Thiago but Machida's the smart pick IMO
Ordep
1/26/09 10:59:20PM
Thiago is my fav and I really want to see him winning this one.

However, IMO I can only think of him winning on the ground with a sub or dominating and keeping it there. This of course will be very difficult against Machida but hey, it is a possibility.
so based on my favoritism to Thiago.... Silva 2nd Sub.

Actual pick: Machida UD

War Thiago!!!
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/26/09 11:18:15PM
Anyone can win. Will he? Don't bet your house on it!!!
PolishPride
1/26/09 11:50:53PM
Silvas style plays into Machidas usual game plan and counter-punch style. That being said I think Silva has a killer instinct and aggresiveness that will finally overwhelm the dragon. I would like to see Silva beat Machida and take Machida out of the contender spot. I dont think he is boring but he is definitely not as exciting as most other fighters in his division. He can be very methodical which is a good thing but it just seems like he lacks that killer instinct to finish fights.
fizzle
1/27/09 2:29:25PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Anyone can win. Will he? Don't bet your house on it!!!

My thoughts exactly, Thiago has just as good a shot as everyone else... but i don't think his fights were any more impressive that Machida's. At least all of his opponants you listed were/are top tier fighters. Nothing against Thiago, but I just was never that impressed with him. Thaigo has put some impressive finishes, but there were almost always extenuating circumstances involved that led to them. Thiago has a shot, but I don't see Machida's 0 going anywhere this weekend.
jiujitsufreak74
1/27/09 2:46:25PM
Thiago Silva has to be one of the most overrated fighters out there right now since Kang and Filho both lost. Thiago has 0...count 'em...0 wins over top 10 competition. do you know how many wins i have over top 10 competition? the same as Thiago Silva, yet i am not considered to be a top 10 fighter. hmmmm, maybe there is a reason for that
mkiv9secsupra
1/27/09 3:09:45PM
Machida isnt going to lose until his title shot against Evans, after he UDs Silva!!!!
loller90278
1/27/09 4:59:32PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Thiago Silva has to be one of the most overrated fighters out there right now since Kang and Filho both lost. Thiago has 0...count 'em...0 wins over top 10 competition. do you know how many wins i have over top 10 competition? the same as Thiago Silva, yet i am not considered to be a top 10 fighter. hmmmm, maybe there is a reason for that

i dont think kang is overrated at all.. hes very well rounded and an amazing fighter but he always makes a mistake and pays for it
haggiswashere
1/27/09 5:05:03PM

do you know how many wins i have over top 10 competition? the same as Thiago Silva, yet i am not considered to be a top 10 fighter. hmmmm, maybe there is a reason for that

I should probably take you off my top ten list then
EvenFlow
1/27/09 6:09:15PM

do you know how many wins i have over top 10 competition? the same as Thiago Silva, yet i am not considered to be a top 10 fighter. hmmmm, maybe there is a reason for that

stop fighting cans ya bum
burialchamber
1/27/09 8:20:31PM
you people crack me up
JimiMak
1/27/09 11:10:05PM
Of course he COULD win, are his chances better than (let's say around) 2/10? NO. Thiago could fight a conservative fight and lose a dec, or he could be aggressive and lose by dec or ko/tko, or he could take it to the ground where he's not garunteed the advantage he's had over other competition, or he could land a superman ko.... that's about it. Thiago has not much shot at winning this. I might reconsider the way I feel if he dominates for a bit and wins how he wants and doesn't win in a sudden fashion (if he were to win which is unlikely)
Jackelope
1/27/09 11:11:40PM

Posted by JimiMak

Of course he COULD win, are his chances better than (let's say around) 2/10? NO. Thiago could fight a conservative fight and lose a dec, or he could be aggressive and lose by dec or ko/tko, or he could take it to the ground where he's not garunteed the advantage he's had over other competition, or he could land a superman ko.... that's about it. Thiago has not much shot at winning this. I might reconsider the way I feel if he dominates for a bit and wins how he wants and doesn't win in a sudden fashion (if he were to win which is unlikely)

You know.. you could reduce that fraction to 1/5!
Pookie
1/27/09 11:45:35PM

Posted by cowcatcher

NOTE: probably not a good idea for anyone else to listen to that little voice in my head

The voice in my head tells me to burn things.
fly24hops
1/28/09 12:58:48PM
Silva By KO... I hope Machida's fight are Boring
jawbreaker517
1/28/09 3:09:15PM
Personally, I think Machida's win over Tito was very impressive. Machida will rip through Thiago and pick him apart with technicality. Thiago is very heavy-handed, but his footwork is pretty sloppy, though. On the other hand, Lyoto's footwork is excellent. I say Lyoto wins via 2nd rd. KO.
Pages: [1] 2