Thiago Silva VS Lyoto Machida

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thiago Silva VS Lyoto Machida
« Previous Page
haggiswashere
11/20/08 3:39:34AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

well ya he is good but i was making the point that if you use the same logic to rule thiago out of the top ten then you have to do the same to machida. If thiago doesn't deserve to be top ten then neither should lyoto.

I disagree, lets look at their 3 most notable opponents.

Thiago - Tomasz Drwal, Houston Alexander, Antonio Mendes,

Lyoto - Rich Franklin, Sokoudjou, Tito Ortiz.

None of Thiago's opponents are even top 50.

Lyoto is different all of his opponents have been top 20's at the time of the fight unarguably.
Franklin - This fight was after Franklin defeated evan tanner and IMO established that he was a top tier fighter... Easily a top 20 at the time.
Sokoudjou - Sokoudjou was the favorite going into this fight might i add... Easily top ten at the time of the fight and unarguable still a top 20 today.
Tito Ortiz - Top ten talent, just happened to be top 15 at the time. He fought Rashad to a draw and Rashad is the #1 contender 1 year later, remember that.

Another thing of note - Silva has been hurt in every one of his Ufc fights except against houston alexander. Machida still hasnt been hit with a solid strike yet, winning every round of every fight and doing so with ease.

Objectively speaking, if you look beyond there W/L Records, these two arent even in the same ballpark in terms of skill.

ok so like i said.....you could only name one top ten AT THE time he fought him. Im not saying thiago is miles ahead of machida. i was just saying BY THAT LOGIC NEITHER SHOULD BE TOP TEN. i didn't say machida shouldn't be top ten i just saud using the logic used in the post before neither should be.
Pookie
11/20/08 3:53:09AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

well ya he is good but i was making the point that if you use the same logic to rule thiago out of the top ten then you have to do the same to machida. If thiago doesn't deserve to be top ten then neither should lyoto.

Lyoto is different all of his opponents have been top 20's at the time of the fight unarguably.
Franklin - This fight was after Franklin defeated evan tanner and IMO established that he was a top tier fighter... Easily a top 20 at the time.
Sokoudjou - Sokoudjou was the favorite going into this fight might i add... Easily top ten at the time of the fight and unarguable still a top 20 today.
Tito Ortiz - Top ten talent, just happened to be top 15 at the time. He fought Rashad to a draw and Rashad is the #1 contender 1 year later, remember that.

Another thing of note - Silva has been hurt in every one of his Ufc fights except against houston alexander. Machida still hasnt been hit with a solid strike yet, winning every round of every fight and doing so with ease.

Objectively speaking, if you look beyond there W/L Records, these two arent even in the same ballpark in terms of skill.

ok so like i said.....you could only name one top ten AT THE time he fought him. Im not saying thiago is miles ahead of machida. i was just saying BY THAT LOGIC NEITHER SHOULD BE TOP TEN. i didn't say machida shouldn't be top ten i just saud using the logic used in the post before neither should be.

Beating who Lyoto has been matched-up against warrants a top ten shot, beating who Thiago Silva has beat does not.

Theres a big difference in the skill level of the opponents they have faced. Huge.
haggiswashere
11/20/08 4:01:42AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

Beating who Lyoto has been matched-up against warrants a top ten shot, beating who Thiago Silva has beat does not.

Theres a big difference in the skill level of the opponents they have faced. Huge.

haha i had a hunch and i checked and i was right... you have lyoto ranked as number 1?! you can't be serious about number 1. i could see maybe 4-10 but not 1. what about forrest, and rashad!?

i agree they are on a whole different level though.
Pookie
11/20/08 4:10:13AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

haha i had a hunch and i checked and i was right... you have lyoto ranked as number 1?! you can't be serious about number 1. i could see maybe 4-10 but not 1. what about forrest, and rashad!?

I think he beats both easily.
haggiswashere
11/20/08 4:29:17AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

maybe but he hasn't..........
Pookie
11/20/08 4:33:25AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Pookie

Posted by haggiswashere

maybe but he hasn't..........

Thus the paradox of rankings, people tend to rank based on different criteria.
Franklinfan47
11/20/08 10:02:20AM
Lyoto should take this by another decision. Should be a good fight though
Pages: 1 [2]