Thiago Silva VS Lyoto Machida

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thiago Silva VS Lyoto Machida
Next Page »
RedCloud
11/16/08 7:39:10PM
Its on the Card for UFC 94.

The UFC is Killing it right now with these fantastic cards.
The December card looks like something from a dream.

What do you guys think of this intense match up?!
Kracker_Jap
11/16/08 7:40:24PM
Who freakin knows

But man what a fight card
JoeySteel
11/16/08 7:42:05PM
UFC has been putting together some sweet cards. But this fight is unfair.

Lyoto deserves a shot at the winner of evans vs. griffin.

but every time I call JOe Silva he doesn't take my calls. huh? strange right.
jae_1833
11/17/08 1:13:26AM

More deserving than Rashad IMO.... but I want to see Thiago v Machida soo bad that I wont answer your calls!!!
JoeySteel
11/17/08 12:01:49PM
funny, but seriously Rashad deserves his shot.

He has beaten everything they have thrown at him.

He, Machida, and Silva are the only LHW who have not lost in the last two years. Unless I am missing something.

Silva just has not fought a real big name yet.

rampage.
wandy.
chuck
vera
jardine
rua
hendo

gartface
11/17/08 12:30:38PM
I think Machida can take him on the feet and on the ground. This is Machida's fight to lose, and I don't see him making any mistakes with Thiago.
gsquat
11/17/08 1:44:58PM
Machida will thoroughly embarrass Thiago in this fight and could win any number of ways. Thiago's skill level is nowhere near that of Machida's.
The_Metal_Maniac
11/17/08 2:57:20PM
Machida by decision. Machida will put his elusiveness to good use against and overly aggressive Silva. He will in the end score more in typical Machida fashion and win by UD. I think in every fans view he has already done more than enough to be worthy of the current number one contender spot. Whoever has the title Rashad or Forest will simply be keeping it until Machida gets his shot.
nickcuc547
11/17/08 4:53:36PM
i think lyoto stays out of harms way enough to get a decision. silva is very good but better fighters haven't been able to solve lyoto.
higdon10
11/17/08 5:26:27PM
Thiago will run Lyoto down and score a mid-round knockout.
gartface
11/17/08 5:32:48PM

Posted by higdon10

That's wishful thinking. Thiago has shown to be too aggressive in his past few fights, and even a little cocky. (I.E. Antonio Mendes) You can't be too aggressive with Machida, though he's elusive, he'll capitalize on any kind of mistake made in the octagon, just ask Sokoudjou.
I think that in all honesty Thiago will feel the need to try and chase Machida down and will end up getting taken down and submitted.
gsquat
11/17/08 5:49:13PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by higdon10

That's wishful thinking. Thiago has shown to be too aggressive in his past few fights, and even a little cocky. (I.E. Antonio Mendes) You can't be too aggressive with Machida, though he's elusive, he'll capitalize on any kind of mistake made in the octagon, just ask Sokoudjou.
I think that in all honesty Thiago will feel the need to try and chase Machida down and will end up getting taken down and submitted.

Or if you want cocky, how about when he did his stupid throat slit after the guy blew his knee out.
gartface
11/17/08 6:19:46PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by gartface

Posted by higdon10

Or if you want cocky, how about when he did his stupid throat slit after the guy blew his knee out.

Props.
bls1919
11/17/08 9:50:53PM
I have been itching for this fight like a crack ho right before she scores. Seriously. Machida is the best counterpuncher in the UFC. His Feints are like no other. Silva on the other hand is very heavy handed, with great accuracy and a relentless attack. I really like both of these guys, but have to go with Machida. Silva will get caught coming in and go down TKO victory for Machida in the 2nd. I think he will be LHW champ before mid way through 09'.
higdon10
11/17/08 9:53:37PM

Posted by bls1919
I think he will be LHW champ before mid way through 09'.

Not if Wand has anything to say about it.
jiujitsufreak74
11/17/08 9:56:14PM
i don't understand why people think Thiago is so talented. who has he beaten in the top 10? top 20? the answer is nobody. he is overrated, and Machida will prove it when they fight.
chickmagnet
11/17/08 11:18:22PM
Thiago is talented fighter but no where near Lyoto machida. Machida will make him miss and counter him all night.

Lyoto by UD
gsquat
11/18/08 10:24:11AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i don't understand why people think Thiago is so talented. who has he beaten in the top 10? top 20? the answer is nobody. he is overrated, and Machida will prove it when they fight.

It's not that people think he is that talented. They're just so taken by his image that they want him to be something he's not (a top ten fighter). Its the badass demeanor, with the throat slashing, and the undefeated (but very padded) record, his name is an awesome combo of two awesome fighters so he must be awesome. People are easily affected. Its ok. I hope the percentages are close to 50/50 so I can get good money on Machida.
State_Champ
11/18/08 8:46:15PM
Machid is gonna win, it won't even be a close fight.
That's all.
breakdown5
11/18/08 11:27:43PM
I see Silva being frustrated by Machida's style and attempting to wade into him aggressively and recklessly. When this happens, Machida will put him down. I think that Silva will come in a little too aggressively and Machida is just the type of fighter to take advantage of that.
higdon10
11/18/08 11:56:21PM
I look for Silva to chase Machida all night. If he doesnt KO him, he will take a decision
mkiv9secsupra
11/19/08 12:01:48AM
Unfortunately for silva its going to be a real top ten fighter that is going to give machida his first loss..... T. Silva = not top ten by far
haggiswashere
11/19/08 12:10:57AM

Who did Lyoto beat that is top 10 though? other than a 40 pound overweight BJ Penn and Rich Franklin 5 years ago, and a tito ortiz past his prime who has he beat that is top ten?
The_Italian_Stallion
11/19/08 10:58:47AM
Let me start off by saying that Machida is good and all but holy crap is he overrated! I don't even care if you like him or not you absolutely have to admit he is overrated!

Sokodjou almost knocked Lyoto out like three times in their fight, almost equally overrated Sokodjou for crying out loud!

I mean every single one of Lyoto's opponents have been so dumbfounded of his style they are timid when even an untrained fight fan like myself can see that aggressiveness is going to be his downfall! If Thiago is smart at all he will come out like a bat out of hell and knock Lyoto out by the end of the first beginning of the second at the latest!

I mean Lyoto's chin hasn't ever really been tested that I know of because he's always getting out of the way and dodging. I bet you if Quinton or Chuck or Thiago land one on him he's going to be gone!

Thiago all the way in this one! (Except if he hurts his back again in the fight like a Manny vs Diaz thing, then by all means Lyoto will win, but only that way in my opinion).
bjj1605
11/19/08 2:38:22PM
I want to say Machida by UD but thiago is so agressive Machida might actually knock him out. Which would be a nice change of pace. Machida is the next LHW champ
bjj1605
11/19/08 2:40:49PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Who did Lyoto beat that is top 10 though? other than a 40 pound overweight BJ Penn and Rich Franklin 5 years ago, and a tito ortiz past his prime who has he beat that is top ten?

Machida's striking and foot work are at a much higher level than Thiago. He's good too, but its sort of a brawling style. Against a technical fighter like Machida that will get him in trouble. I thiago getting frustrated and picked apart for 3 rounds or mayber a lackluster TKO.
haggiswashere
11/20/08 12:31:29AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by haggiswashere

Machida's striking and foot work are at a much higher level than Thiago. He's good too, but its sort of a brawling style. Against a technical fighter like Machida that will get him in trouble. I thiago getting frustrated and picked apart for 3 rounds or mayber a lackluster TKO.

well ya he is good but i was making the point that if you use the same logic to rule thiago out of the top ten then you have to do the same to machida. If thiago doesn't deserve to be top ten then neither should lyoto.
EvenFlow
11/20/08 2:57:32AM
Lyoto will stop Thiago, TKO from mount.
Pookie
11/20/08 3:00:43AM

Posted by The_Italian_Stallion

Sokodjou almost knocked Lyoto out like three times in their fight, almost equally overrated Sokodjou for crying out loud!

You know Sokoudjou didnt actually land 3 meaningful blows in that fight.
Pookie
11/20/08 3:17:01AM

Posted by haggiswashere

well ya he is good but i was making the point that if you use the same logic to rule thiago out of the top ten then you have to do the same to machida. If thiago doesn't deserve to be top ten then neither should lyoto.

I disagree, lets look at their 3 most notable opponents.

Thiago - Tomasz Drwal, Houston Alexander, Antonio Mendes,

Lyoto - Rich Franklin, Sokoudjou, Tito Ortiz.

None of Thiago's opponents are even top 50.

Lyoto is different all of his opponents have been top 20's at the time of the fight unarguably.
Franklin - This fight was after Franklin defeated evan tanner and IMO established that he was a top tier fighter... Easily a top 20 at the time.
Sokoudjou - Sokoudjou was the favorite going into this fight might i add... Easily top ten at the time of the fight and unarguable still a top 20 today.
Tito Ortiz - Top ten talent, just happened to be top 15 at the time. He fought Rashad to a draw and Rashad is the #1 contender 1 year later, remember that.

Another thing of note - Silva has been hurt in every one of his Ufc fights except against houston alexander. Machida still hasnt been hit with a solid strike yet, winning every round of every fight and doing so with ease.

Objectively speaking, if you look beyond there W/L Records, these two arent even in the same ballpark in terms of skill.
Pages: [1] 2