Thiago Silva out of UFC 149: Glover Teixeira Possible as Replacement!

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Thiago Silva out of UFC 149: Glover Teixeira Possible as Replacement!
Franklinfan47
6/1/12 1:27:07PM
The UFC's injury woes continue as Brazilian light heavyweight Thiago Silva has been forced to pull out of July's UFC 149 event in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Luckily for UFC president Dana White, promotional newcomer Glover Teixeira (18-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) is both healthy and hungry for a big fight after a scintillating win over Kyle Kingsbury at this past weekend's UFC 146 event.

There's just one problem: According to White, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (20-6 MMA, 4-4 UFC) – Silva's original opponent – won't take the fight.

"With Thiago hurt, we turned to Glover and asked him to go right back in to fight 'Shogun' at UFC 149," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "But 'Shogun's' people are adamantly refusing to take the fight. They want nothing to do with Glover."

link
Franklinfan47
6/1/12 1:31:02PM
Hopefully Shogun nuts up and takes this fight
Budgellism
6/1/12 1:37:54PM
Woah, that would be a crazy fight
Chael_Sonnen
6/1/12 1:57:14PM
Wow....another brahzilian injured and pulling out of a fight
Twenty20Dollars
6/1/12 2:00:07PM
Kinda don't want to see this fight this early, Glover just got here. Don't want to see him potentially lose or Shogun lose, but if he did to Glover, I guess it would be okay.
FastKnockout
6/1/12 2:09:11PM
"They want nothing to do with Glover."

Wonder what this is about.
Shawn91111
6/1/12 2:09:22PM
That's a big step down in name and a very dangerous fight that he very well could lose. From a business perspective, there is little upside to taking this fight. He needs a win, and that was the Silva fight, not from someone like Glover.
frizzzlecake
6/1/12 2:27:14PM
Lil Nog should step up for Shogun and we should let Shogun fight Rashad.

Everyone's happy.

Lil Nog really doesn't care who he fights, we just have to make sure he stays healthy.
bjj1605
6/1/12 3:08:24PM
I get the points Shawn made.

Its a high risk/low reward fight.

Still though....

Shogun should be confident enough in his abilities to accept this fight.
FastKnockout
6/1/12 3:14:55PM
I'm not sure about the risk/reward. Most hardcore fans have known about Glover for a while now and Dana himself said he's glad to finally have Glover under the Zuffa banner. To me, I don't see much difference when it comes to Silva and Glover except for name value, and even then Silva doesn't have the highest name value.
scoozna
6/1/12 3:16:17PM

Posted by FastKnockout

He wanted Anderson Silva money.
In all seriousness, I think it's the high risk/low reward thing already mentioned. But Uncle Dana *hates* that. He wants people who want to fight. I'd hate to see Shogun get on Dana's list of guys who don't step up.
Chael_Sonnen
6/1/12 3:31:14PM

Posted by scoozna

Posted by FastKnockout

He wanted Anderson Silva money.
In all seriousness, I think it's the high risk/low reward thing already mentioned. But Uncle Dana *hates* that. He wants people who want to fight. I'd hate to see Shogun get on Dana's list of guys who don't step up.

Anderson Silva money you say?

Burger King wage = $8.50 (sounds about right for Andy's worth)
jjeans
6/1/12 3:32:26PM
Stepping out of my dirty blue/Thiago silva nut hugging persona.... In all honesty i thought Silva/Shogun was a high risk/low reward fight
Shawn91111
6/1/12 3:52:00PM
Shoguns manager just replied with this

"Rua’s manager, Julio Heller, who guaranteed they never turned down a fight with Teixeira. In fact, Silva’s injury is not official to them yet.

“I just sent a message to the UFC. I’m waiting for their call”, Heller said. “(Turning down a fight with Glover) it’s not true at all”.

Julio said they’ll wait for the UFC before making further comments, and the decision to fight Glover, or any other opponent, is in Shogun and his coach Andre Dida’s hands.

“We have to wait for the names whey’ll offer, and then we’ll see what we do”.

This is not the first time this has happened. As with Dan Henderson when he said he was never even offered Machida and Dana said he had turned it down.
Pookie
6/1/12 3:52:37PM

Posted by FastKnockout

my guess is it's Dana trying to pressure Shogun into taking the fight.
Poor_Franklin
6/1/12 4:14:57PM

Posted by jjeans

Stepping out of my dirty blue/Thiago silva nut hugging persona.... In all honesty i thought Silva/Shogun was a high risk/low reward fight

agreed
ncordless
6/1/12 4:37:41PM

Posted by jjeans

Maybe, but it is a question of degrees. If Thiago Silva was high risk/low reward, then Glover is probably just as high if not a higher risk with even less reward.
BeeR
6/1/12 4:38:53PM

Posted by FastKnockout

shogun getting ktfo
jjeans
6/1/12 4:56:42PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by jjeans

Maybe, but it is a question of degrees. If Thiago Silva was high risk/low reward, then Glover is probably just as high if not a higher risk with even less reward.

Again stepping out of my persona, maybe to the hardcore fan however in my mind I think stylistically a win over Glover is a better in terms of reward, although I do agree that the risk is higher, if you look at it Glover he has done everything Thiago has done, just in a less exposed way whereas Thiagos had the benefit of the UFC Limelight