Thiago Silva Out of UFC 130 - Rashad Evans In (Update)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Thiago Silva Out of UFC 130 - Rashad Evans In (Update)
FastKnockout
2/9/11 4:31:55PM
Hearing the news, we contacted Thiago Silva by phone, and the fighter was surprised. "Injured? Me? I’m very healthy and looking forward to fighting Rampage. That’s not true."

"Nobody called us about anything, the fight is on" said Conan Silveira, one of the leaders of American Top Team.

Multiple sources confirmed with MMAjunkie.com that preliminary discussions with Rashad Evans to replace Silva are underway.

Of significant potential interest, the Nevada State Athletic Commission has yet to release the drug screens from the night of Silva's most recent fight, a UFC 125 win over Brandon Vera that took place Jan. 1 in Las Vegas.

Nevada State Athletic Commision executive director Keith Kizer confirmed with MMAjunkie.com that the commission is still investigating at least one sample from the event. While Kizer could not confirm whether or not one of those samples belonged to Silva, the NSAC executive did confirm that Silva was among the UFC 125 fighters who submitted a pre-fight screen.

LINK
FastKnockout
2/9/11 4:33:37PM
Uh-oh. Sounds like something fishy is going on. Hopefully it isn't what it sounds like.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/9/11 4:46:34PM
I really wish these journalists would wait until they actually have a story before they write one.
Makaveli158
2/9/11 5:53:38PM
If Silva was roided up - I wonder if Vera gets another match in the UFC. probably not.
sbulldavid
2/9/11 6:59:02PM
I don't want to hear anymore Brandon Vera excuses.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/9/11 7:12:27PM
This is now the third time in two days that these MMA websites have written a story that doesn't yet exist.

The title of their article is EXTREMELY inaccurate because Rashad hasn't signed anything yet. Thiago doesn't even KNOW if he's out.

Sports journalism is seriously in the toilet right now. People are writing articles as fast as they can before they've actually got a story so that, JUST IN CASE it turns out to be true, they can be the one who broke it.

FastKnockout, I'm not giving you grief, FYI. This is directed at the people who wrote the article. Please don't think I'm jumping all over you for putting it up.
FastKnockout
2/9/11 7:25:34PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

This is now the third time in two days that these MMA websites have written a story that doesn't yet exist.

The title of their article is EXTREMELY inaccurate because Rashad hasn't signed anything yet. Thiago doesn't even KNOW if he's out.

Sports journalism is seriously in the toilet right now. People are writing articles as fast as they can before they've actually got a story so that, JUST IN CASE it turns out to be true, they can be the one who broke it.

FastKnockout, I'm not giving you grief, FYI. This is directed at the people who wrote the article. Please don't think I'm jumping all over you for putting it up.

It's no problem. I understand your frustration.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/9/11 7:28:56PM

Posted by FastKnockout

It's no problem. I understand your frustration.

Appreciate it, man.

Here's an update to the story written by a journalist who actually gives a damn about getting it right
BigMattZeus
2/9/11 7:34:42PM
It bothers me that so many of these guys want to take a shortcut, and drop or gain such a significant amount of weight. If you train hard and walk around at 215, you should be able to fight at 205, not try and jump to 185 or worse, bulk up to 245+

In other news... Silva is still the MIddleweight Champ
Kpro
2/9/11 9:29:40PM
I knew there was something fishy when I saw Vera's nose after the fight.

His nose was bent to the side that usually means the guy throwing the elbows may have been on something.

NSAC probably noticed the same thing.
prozacnation1978
2/9/11 10:28:01PM
Looks like I am seeing another page vs evans match
telnights
2/9/11 11:49:00PM

Posted by Kpro

I knew there was something fishy when I saw Vera's nose after the fight.

His nose was bent to the side that usually means the guy throwing the elbows may have been on something.

NSAC probably noticed the same thing.

jay98107
2/10/11 11:27:58AM

Posted by sbulldavid

I don't want to hear anymore Brandon Vera excuses.

If Silva did steroids I'm afraid you'll have to. If we don't discount Veras loss to Silva, what's the point of testing in the first place?
icantthinkofanything
2/10/11 12:24:23PM
I was hoping that was Thiago in true form when beating Vera. Thiago and Vera both kick butt,
JJipp03
2/11/11 7:15:20PM
Im glad rashad isnt going to have to fight Rampage again, but I think Rampage deserves somebody better then Matt Hamill
TS92turbo
2/22/11 4:09:32PM
I'm up for Rampage Rashad 2. I'd put my avatar on Rampage.