Thiago Alves walking weight is about 200 lbs!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thiago Alves walking weight is about 200 lbs!
jae_1833
8/24/08 6:19:36PM
With his past problems of making weight should Thiago be walking around 30 lbs over his fighting weight? I don't think so. A weight cut of more than 20 lbs can seriously mess with anyone who is excerting himself physically for any long period of time. Although this match is only 15 minutes long, cutting that amount of weight has me wondering what his diet is like when he not in a training camp. The only thing still making me pick him over Diego now is that diego states that he would like to stand and bang with Thiago....which I think we should all see as a mistake!
Video Link
balack_o-bama
8/24/08 6:31:46PM
Thats alot of weight to cut. He will probally try to drop ATLEAST 10-12 pounds gradually. Leaving himself around 184-188 1 month before the fight.
jocka
8/24/08 6:35:42PM

Posted by jae_1833

With his past problems of making weight should Thiago be walking around 30 lbs over his fighting weight? I don't think so. A weight cut of more than 20 lbs can seriously mess with anyone who is excerting himself physically for any long period of time. Although this match is only 15 minutes long, cutting that amount of weight has me wondering what his diet is like when he not in a training camp. The only thing still making me pick him over Diego now is that diego states that he would like to stand and bang with Thiago....which I think we should all see as a mistake!
Video Link

Yeah i knew that before he said in at the press conference and yes it is a huge cut but like you said i would be curious to see what he looks like when his isn't training for a fight, He must not be that shredded when no training.
SpiderSilva
8/24/08 7:21:05PM
I think Sanchez has more power behind those fist than people think maybe not as much as Alves but a lot anyway if he stands its over in rd cause hes gonna be KOed Sanchez that is
MikeyG
8/24/08 7:47:55PM
I think Fitch cuts from around 185-195 as well but not sure. I'm not giving Sanchez much of a chance here, hes not much different that Karo and we all saw Alves own Karo and Hughes. I see Diego being overconfident from the Luigi fight and look at how much trouble Luigi gave him, just imagine what Alves is going to do to him, hes gonna do what Sanchez did to Riggs, except a big knee on the way in for a takedown / flying knee or a vicious right hand KO for Thiago and he will be next in line for the BJ / GSP winner.
nickcuc547
8/24/08 8:01:39PM
ya he's an animal, the guy has improved so much over the last couple of years and i think he will get his title shot soon enough. his power and striking could give gsp problems, i think alves is the only guy at 170 that can stand with gsp.
Pitbull09
8/24/08 8:09:28PM
Silva walks at 210 or 220 I think so its not uncommon. He prob could fight at MW but not with title contention so close.
grappler0000
8/24/08 8:11:27PM

Posted by MikeyG

I think Fitch cuts from around 185-195 as well but not sure. I'm not giving Sanchez much of a chance here, hes not much different that Karo and we all saw Alves own Karo and Hughes. I see Diego being overconfident from the Luigi fight and look at how much trouble Luigi gave him, just imagine what Alves is going to do to him, hes gonna do what Sanchez did to Riggs, except a big knee on the way in for a takedown / flying knee or a vicious right hand KO for Thiago and he will be next in line for the BJ / GSP winner.

I agree that Diego's TD attempts didn't look all that impressive in his last fight, but his striking was drastically improved. Alves may have knocked Karo out, but he wasn't owning him by any means...in fact, I'd say that Karo was winning the standup until he ate the knee. I'll probably pick Alves to win this one, but I wouldn't count Diego out just yet.
seanfu
8/24/08 9:25:43PM
I see Sanchez winning the fight. As long he doesn't end up on his back he should win a close standup fight. Thiago probably won't make weight. When he finally gets to an accepted mark it'll show in the fight.

Also this matchup is one of the most exciting physical matchup possible. You have a guy who is undersized but never stops coming and shows trememdous cardio vs a hulking powerfull oversized guy who is known to have moments where the gas is gone.

Seeing as Diego won't get knocked out (most likely) It should be close. Thiago wins the first hands down imo. I think Thiago will be overwhelmed by the intensity and pace toward the end.

Diego wins 2-1
bojangalz
8/24/08 9:30:27PM
A lot of guys walk around 25-30 above their fighting weight. They drop the first 15-20 simply through working out. Then, when they intensify their dieting they shed even more. Most guys only drop around 5 pounds of actual water weight in the sauna.

I'm sure Alves is right on track. I think the only reason people are so worried about Alves is because of the diaretic suspension. That is a blemish that will never come off his record. But the fact is, he's been professional ever since. If the diaretic test hadn't clouded his past, no one would have thought twice about the sprained ankle.

He deserved the title shot after Hughes, but in true Pitbull fashion- he took the next guy the UFC put in front of him. He's going to destroy Diego. And frankly, his striking will probably put a scare into GSP when that day comes.
Jackelope
8/24/08 10:38:49PM
It's not uncommon for fighters to walk that much above their weight. Most guys stay around 20 lbs over but 30 is do-able
Kracker_Jap
8/24/08 11:04:53PM
I wlak around at 200lbs but if I was to fight I could easily make 170.....

I wrestled at 135 and the most I have weighed is 225
MikeyG
8/25/08 12:09:51AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by MikeyG

I agree that Diego's TD attempts didn't look all that impressive in his last fight, but his striking was drastically improved. Alves may have knocked Karo out, but he wasn't owning him by any means...in fact, I'd say that Karo was winning the standup until he ate the knee. I'll probably pick Alves to win this one, but I wouldn't count Diego out just yet.

His striking might be improved but its nowhere near Thiago's, and if he tries to stand with him its going to be a short night. I think we watched a different fight because Alves to me was winning the standup slightly in the 1st (but that was just a feeling out process) and Karo couldnt do anything to Alves when he could get him down, Alves is the first guy really that could counter his judo since he had been working with Ferguson before that fight. And yeah I'm counting Diego out, because Thiago's improved with every fight since Fitch beat him and it would not shock me if he won the WW belt within 2009.
Believe-in-judo81
8/25/08 5:16:38AM
Yeah, him, Mach, GSP, Gomi, Matt Hughes and lot of other guys that have fought at 170 or 163. Cutting weight to compete with a size, strength, and explosiveness advantage is a part of what makes them such a chore to defeat.
jocka
8/25/08 10:51:34AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Are you prtty fit are do you have a lot of fat at 200lbs?

I walk arround 195 or so about 8-9% body fat, i ve been training for a while and thinking about fighting at 170 lbs. The thing that am wondering how fat they are before starting to drop weight. With diet alone i went down to 178 but i did feel a lot weaker.
gartface
8/25/08 11:14:38AM
I think I heard something during the Affliction broadcast that Mike Whitehead drops from 260 or so to fight at 205.
jocka
8/25/08 12:17:33PM

Posted by gartface

I think I heard something during the Affliction broadcast that Mike Whitehead drops from 260 or so to fight at 205.

I heard the same thing but Mike Whitehead is fat a 260 even at 205 he could of still lost weigh
Kracker_Jap
8/27/08 12:34:57AM

Posted by jocka

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Are you prtty fit are do you have a lot of fat at 200lbs?

I walk arround 195 or so about 8-9% body fat, i ve been training for a while and thinking about fighting at 170 lbs. The thing that am wondering how fat they are before starting to drop weight. With diet alone i went down to 178 but i did feel a lot weaker.

I like to eat alot...

I'm a 7-8.5% body at 195-200lbs All I would have to do is lower my calorie intake to make 170lbs

My guess is I eat about 5000-7000 calries a day (I love food) my wife buys everything organic and none of my 7 meals aday come from a can or a box unless you count my protein