THIAGO ALVES GETS NEXT SHOT AT UFC 170 TITLE

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » THIAGO ALVES GETS NEXT SHOT AT UFC 170 TITLE
Wolfenstein
12/9/08 8:05:07PM
When asked if St. Pierre would face Anderson Silva if he got past Penn at UFC 94, White answered, "No. If he beats B.J. Penn, he'll fight Thiago Alves. And then, if he beats Thiago, maybe we'll start talking about (St. Pierre and Silva) meeting at a catch weight fight or GSP going right to 185 and fighting."

White later clarified that Alves will get the shot, not only if St. Pierre wins, but even if it is Penn that wins the UFC 94 mega-fight. "He's next in line for a title shot. If GSP beats B.J. Penn, then (Alves) fights GSP. If B.J. Penn wins, then he fights B.J. And then he'd have to defend that title for a while before I let him move up and try to fight Anderson."

link
prozacnation1978
12/9/08 8:09:49PM
i think alves gets it win or lose

rumor is that thales leites will fight silva for the belt in feb
not to get off topic
HumanTarget
12/9/08 9:07:57PM
How does Alves get the title shot win or lose? That doesnt make sense. He either gets the win and the title shot or not.

Anyways, GSP will spank Alves and send him back to Brazil.
ohiostate1016
12/9/08 9:13:52PM

Posted by HumanTarget

How does Alves get the title shot win or lose? That doesnt make sense. He either gets the win and the title shot or not.

Anyways, GSP will spank Alves and send him back to Brazil.

I think that he meant that Alves gets the title shot wheter GSP wins or loses. If B.J. wins, then Alves will face B.J. instead of GSP.

I don't think that Alves has a shot to beat either one, but he has definitely earned a title fight.
bojangalz
12/9/08 9:24:50PM
I actually think that Alves has a better shot against BJ then GSP. GSP's cardio and explosive takedowns will wear on Alves as the waters deepen. He's not going to be easy to get to the ground early, but persistance would eventually pay off.

BJ on the other hand doesn't have the explosive shot that GSP does. He's best chance to get it to the ground would be a sweep from the clinch. Alves has got pretty good footwork and doesn't get backed into a corner often. I'd also question BJ's cardio in a five rounder where he may not get it to the ground. BJ also likes to fall in love with his striking, that would be a big mistake against Thiago.

Thaigo is a clear underdog in both circumstances. But there isn't a single other WW who deserves the title shot before him. Doesn't matter who has the belt at the time- my foolish pride will probably find me throwing $$$ in Pitbull's direction regardless.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
12/9/08 10:29:58PM
either way, any scenerio and its an explosive fight
Jackelope
12/9/08 10:38:51PM
Alves will definitely pose a bigger threat to BJ, IMO.

BJ doesn't hardly ever rely on his own takedowns. Normally his boxing is so good that other people are forced to take him down. Alves may just be able to out strike BJ, and if BJ decides he needs to take it to the ground then I don't know if BJ can get it there.
StorminYourman
12/9/08 10:58:34PM
Alves deserves the next shot with his recent string of wins over top tier fighters.
Twenty20Dollars
12/9/08 11:41:37PM
I dont think it was a matter of Alves not getting or getting the title shot. The matter is more of when that title shot is going to be.

I see it like this.

If GSP wins, thiago will get a faster title shot. But I think GSP poses a bigger threat to Alves
If BJ wins, have to wait prolly after Florian gets a LW shot. Alves would have to wait longer but I think he has a better shot of beating BJ.
MMAcca
12/10/08 12:45:55AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I see it like this.

If GSP wins, thiago will get a faster title shot. But I think GSP poses a bigger threat to Alves
If BJ wins, have to wait prolly after Florian gets a LW shot. Alves would have to wait longer but I think he has a better shot of beating BJ.

Good point. Makes Sense. Thta's probably how it will pan out imo
Boo_Radley21
12/10/08 1:52:37AM
Good news

I definitely think GSP beats Thiago and Thiago beats BJ.

But GSP is going to beat Penn, so Alves won't be winning the title anytime soon.
xAcidburNx
12/10/08 3:36:29AM
i really hope bj loses. 1 person holding 2 titles is stupid. too many people have to wait in line and we have to wait so long to see a belt get defended. that and goin up and down in weight constantly is just too hard on the body. wonderin when henderson will make up his mind already. not to mention if bj defends both belts then he gets to fight anderson. wtf dana.
Wallass
12/10/08 8:59:04AM
As good as GSP and Penn are I dont see either being able to steal a win from Alves. Pitbull will be the Welterweigth Champion in 2009.
ohiostate1016
12/10/08 9:32:03AM

Posted by MMAcca

I see it like this.

If B.J. wins then B.J. will most likely have to face BOTH Florian and Alves at UFC 100 in July to defend both belts. Dana and the UFC want all of the belts on the line that night, and I've already heard a quote where Dana said that B.J. understands that if he beats GSP, he defends both titles at 100.
jocka
12/10/08 9:54:55AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by MMAcca

I see it like this.

If B.J. wins then B.J. will most likely have to face BOTH Florian and Alves at UFC 100 in July to defend both belts. Dana and the UFC want all of the belts on the line that night, and I've already heard a quote where Dana said that B.J. understands that if he beats GSP, he defends both titles at 100.

lol that's hilarious there is nopw way in hell what would happen. The athletic commission would never allow it.
wiggum
12/10/08 10:15:13AM
i think alves is the underdog in both fights.....with that said tho, i think alves deserves a little more props than hes getting in the fight with gsp.....tho my money would be on gsp, i think alves has the best shot of anybody right now or in the past couple years of taking out gsp (other than penn)....the recipe is simple, alves is a top notch striker with excellent takedown defesene, scrambling abilites, and a bjj black belt that uses those skills perfectly to get back to his feet.......i think that gsp will were him down more and more as the fight goes on...but in every single alves fight (win or lose) he catches them at some point.. and at that point they either go down or they weather the storm...i think and in shape penn can weather the storm...i think gsp goes down and has a harder time regaining himself and alves has such a killer instiinct that gsp might not get up.....gsp's chin is a good one, despite the serra fight, but obviously its touchable.....penns chin is granite, never even been dropped.....gsp has top notch stand up too, but he's never faced a striker like alves, and never faced one that can keep it on the feet like alves.......to sum up (ha) i think alves isnt as big of an underdog as people make him out to be.....i see a decision loss (not as bad as fitches tho) or a late fight submission
Gipper
12/10/08 3:34:56PM
i don't think anybody can ever say thiago alves didn't deserve to get a shot at the ww championship. it kind of reminds me of how gsp had to beat 3 or 4 top 170's to get his second shot at the title.
higdon10
12/10/08 5:09:18PM
I cant wait to see GSP/Alves. Possible FOTY.
JackHammerXXX
12/10/08 6:00:40PM
Poor Kenny! Sherk rematch in the works probably, why? because what the h#$% else is he going to do?
Wait for GSP and BJ, a scenario a) is that BJ has a good chance at winning, so if/when he does, he'll be fighting...Thiago Alves, first. Sometime in late spring, mid-summer-ish. Lord knows BJ won't be jumping right back into a fight until later '09, I mean GSP and Alves in 3 months, 4 maybe time. Florian would fight at least 2,3 times regularly in that span. Thiago as well, so Alves doesn't benefit from all this either. He won't fight for at least 7 months, after 3x in under 7 months up til recently. b)GSP wins, fights Thiago in the said time, and BJ can go about fighting Florian, that it is if...he doesn't fight Sherk and...lose. Then, we'll have a Sherk/Penn 2, wamp wamp!
I got GSP over Penn, and I would pick Florian over Sherk if that fight were to happen, again.