Alves - T(KO) 35% (19)
Hughes - T(KO) 22% (12)
Alves - Submission 0% (0)
Hughes - Submission 17% (9)
Alves - Decision 4% (2)
Hughes - Decision 22% (12)
chickmagnet
5/2/08 9:45:13PM
I think Thiago takes this one, YES i am predicting an upset. Thiago is more well rounded I believe and the fight is going to play out kind of like the Parisyan fight accept i think its gonna happen a bit later when Hughes is a little more tired. Thiago has excellent td defense and I think he will pick Hughes apart on the feet all night until he lands one big knee or kick, or maybe a punch, or a flurry of viscious knees in the thai clinch.

WAR THIAGO!!
hotrodttt
5/2/08 10:05:06PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Thiago has excellent td defense and I think he will pick Hughes apart on the feet all night until he lands one big knee or kick, or maybe a punch, or a flurry of viscious knees in the thai clinch.

Those are the Key Words, Thiago really worked on his Takedown Defence and has nearly perfected it. He'll do exactly what he did to Karo.

Props !
Twenty20Dollars
5/2/08 10:45:37PM
Thiago TKO!!!! BOOM left hook.
seanfu
5/2/08 10:50:31PM
I think Hughes is going to take him down a couple times. IMO close 3 rd decision Alves. But Close. It's weird thinking of Hughes as an underdog to me. GSP is the only guy that felt right for.
DevonFoxy
5/2/08 11:12:33PM
Rodney Dangerfield got no respect and apparently Matt Hughes isn't getting any either.

I know Thiago has great stand up but Fitch was able to take him down and hes the only wrestler he has fought. I don't understand where people are saying he has great take down defense. He hasn't been put against a pure wrestle who goes for double legs other than Fitch and he lost that fight.

So perhaps I'm missing something here but I think people are perhaps underrating Matt Hughes in this fight which is shocking. I mean all Alves needs to do is defend the take down and he will win this fight but how many people have been able to do this? It's still Matt Hughes everyone. He looked like crap against GSP but GSP makes everyone look bad. He is tailor made to fight in this division as he is also a great wrestler with better stand up then the rest of the wrestlers in the division. Thiago is going to be great but in this fight it really irks me that people are picking against Hughes especially by TKO!!!! I agree that Hughes is past his prime and not going to get the title any time soon but he is still Matt Hughes. Just think about the pick before you do it is all I ask.
Mchubb316
5/2/08 11:24:24PM
Hughes is on the downside of his career and Alves is an up and comer. I do think Alves will be shocked when he feels how strong hughes is. Hughes is still a dangerous WW and can beat anyone in that division. Alves has a chance with a KO but Matt's superior wresting will overwhelm Alves and Matt will win a decision. Just my opinion.
juanez13
5/2/08 11:27:35PM
i want thiago to win, but i think Hughes will beat him, just have a gut feeling, its think it'll go something like alves vs fitch.
NatedawgThaM
5/3/08 12:12:03AM
Thiago is going to absolutely destroy Hughes.

It will look similar to Tito-Chuck 2 except quicker since Alves has more technique with that power and Tito has above average stand up and Hughes does not. You just can't be just a wrestler anymore. LNP or light GNP barely works anymore unless your huge for your division like GSP and Tito. But their's tons of guys bigger then Hughes at 170. Hughes had his time but now the sport has passed him by and he needs to fight Serra and go in all honesty. Their is no way he's even top 5 IMHO anymore since their are several better wrestlers then him. He hasn't developed at all while Alves is still young, his striking is like 10 years beyond Hughes and training at an amazing camp in ATT is really improving his ground game as you saw in the Karo fight.

Thiago will stuff and KHTFO on the feet all in the 2nd!!!
ohiostate1016
5/3/08 12:32:44AM
1- If you think Alves beating Huges is an upset, you should look at your calendar. It's not 2004 anymore, pal.

2- If you are picking Hughes in this fight, you should be banned from MMA Playground. I don't care if he wins or not.
wolfman
5/3/08 2:21:31AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

1- If you think Alves beating Huges is an upset, you should look at your calendar. It's not 2004 anymore, pal.

2- If you are picking Hughes in this fight, you should be banned from MMA Playground. I don't care if he wins or not.

DevonFoxy
5/3/08 9:09:04AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Thiago is going to absolutely destroy Hughes.

It will look similar to Tito-Chuck 2 except quicker since Alves has more technique with that power and Tito has above average stand up and Hughes does not. You just can't be just a wrestler anymore. LNP or light GNP barely works anymore unless your huge for your division like GSP and Tito. But their's tons of guys bigger then Hughes at 170. Hughes had his time but now the sport has passed him by and he needs to fight Serra and go in all honesty. Their is no way he's even top 5 IMHO anymore since their are several better wrestlers then him. He hasn't developed at all while Alves is still young, his striking is like 10 years beyond Hughes and training at an amazing camp in ATT is really improving his ground game as you saw in the Karo fight.

Thiago will stuff and KHTFO on the feet all in the 2nd!!!

How is this fight like that at all???? Im not trying to be mean dude but...

A.) Matt Hughes wrestling is much MUCH better than Tito's wrestling
B.)Chucks Takedown Defense is much MUCH better than Alves's
C.) The only fighter that has even close to the wrestling that Alves has fought is Fitch and guess what happened in that fight.

Hey I think ALves is great and should be a great fighter of the future. With that said hes just the flavor of the month. Karo was beating Alves pretty bad in that fight until that knee if I remember and since he threw that knee......we have OH MAN SNAP he could hang with GSP. HEs going to stop Matt Hughes!!!!!

Well if you feel that way ask yourself how many people have stopped Matt Hughes? A select few and no one thinks that nerves might get to Thiago fighting Matt Freaken Hughes in the Main event of a PPV fight? Thats kinda a step up from being on the undercard and being on Fight Night.
JoeySteel
5/3/08 2:08:41PM
I hate Matt Hughes, luckily I have no love for Alves either. But, that said, i have incredible amount of respect for Hughes ability and think Alves is overrated. Hughes will DOMINATE THIS MOTHA.

it won't be the most exciting fight, Hughes will dominate, however, and Alves while he will have a few close calls will end up on his back 3/4ths of the match, avoiding blows and trying to get in a few from the bottom elbows.

Unan. Decision Hughes.

it's too bad they can't both lose huh?

PS. Fitch would beat em both.

chickmagnet
5/3/08 2:12:17PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

To the average MMA fan, Thiago beating Hughes is an upset, but ya ur right, Thiago's odds are very good
jae_1833
5/3/08 2:16:48PM
Karo and Matt's take downs are very different, I don't think Thiago will have the same kind of success with Hughes that he had with Karo....I wish he would but I am taking Hughes on this one and by sub no less!!
NatedawgThaM
5/3/08 2:26:35PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

How is this fight like that at all???? Im not trying to be mean dude but...

A.) Matt Hughes wrestling is much MUCH better than Tito's wrestling
B.)Chucks Takedown Defense is much MUCH better than Alves's
C.) The only fighter that has even close to the wrestling that Alves has fought is Fitch and guess what happened in that fight.

Hey I think ALves is great and should be a great fighter of the future. With that said hes just the flavor of the month. Karo was beating Alves pretty bad in that fight until that knee if I remember and since he threw that knee......we have OH MAN SNAP he could hang with GSP. HEs going to stop Matt Hughes!!!!!

Well if you feel that way ask yourself how many people have stopped Matt Hughes? A select few and no one thinks that nerves might get to Thiago fighting Matt Freaken Hughes in the Main event of a PPV fight? Thats kinda a step up from being on the undercard and being on Fight Night.

A. is wrong. Tito beat Matt Hughes in ADCC plus Matt Hughes is nothing but power. Every wrestler in the division would dominate him. Tito actually HAS wrestling skill with that great power. Tito is a better all-around wrestler then Hughes. Tito has taken down EVERYBODY he's ever fought at least once in the fight. Hughes can't say that.

B. i agree only maybe BJ Penn's could match Chucks but Alves has improved his sprawl greatly. Nick Diaz does not have the caliber sprawl of Chuck either but he was able to stuff Sean Sherk for a whole fight and Sherk took it to Hughes in a full five round fight. Hughes only won because he was bigger. Lesser fighters have sprawled against better wrestlers. An Alves trains at a great camp so he will be ready for the one dimensional Hughes.

C. The fitch fight was one of his very first fights. He's improved greatly since and of course Karo makes everyone he fights look bad. He makes everybody fight his fight. he uses that judo pedigree to use everyones aggressiveness against them. Only Diego was able to look good against him because he was relentless and Karo couldn't keep up with that pace. Karo is a whole different fighter then Hughes and would probably dominate Hughes too.

And Karo was in no way dominating that fight against Alves. Alves picked him apart on the feet and Karo did absolutely nothing on the ground but control where the fight was. No damage was inflicted. Matt Hughes will be exposed. His wrestling isn't even as good anymore as it once was because he's older, not as strong and over powering as he once was, and he's fighting quicker and more explosive and key words more well rounded fighters.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/3/08 2:42:27PM
well i got alves by tko, but its gonna be a close fight
DevonFoxy
5/3/08 5:02:31PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM
A. is wrong. Tito beat Matt Hughes in ADCC plus Matt Hughes is nothing but power. Every wrestler in the division would dominate him. Tito actually HAS wrestling skill with that great power. Tito is a better all-around wrestler then Hughes. Tito has taken down EVERYBODY he's ever fought at least once in the fight. Hughes can't say that.

So your saying because a 205 pound wrestler beating a wrestler who probably at that time was around 170 perhaps even less in a submission wrestling fight he has better wrestling that him?

Sorry but I have to disagree. Hughes is a two-time Division I All-American wrestler Tito won a junior college title and went to a regular college and did nothing. Sorry but when we talk about wrestling Matt Hughes has much better wrestling than Tito's. Dont get me wrong I like Tito and he has pretty good wrestling but Hughes is really in a different league.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/3/08 5:28:23PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Rodney Dangerfield got no respect and apparently Matt Hughes isn't getting any either.

I know Thiago has great stand up but Fitch was able to take him down and hes the only wrestler he has fought. I don't understand where people are saying he has great take down defense. He hasn't been put against a pure wrestle who goes for double legs other than Fitch and he lost that fight.

So perhaps I'm missing something here but I think people are perhaps underrating Matt Hughes in this fight which is shocking. I mean all Alves needs to do is defend the take down and he will win this fight but how many people have been able to do this? It's still Matt Hughes everyone. He looked like crap against GSP but GSP makes everyone look bad. He is tailor made to fight in this division as he is also a great wrestler with better stand up then the rest of the wrestlers in the division. Thiago is going to be great but in this fight it really irks me that people are picking against Hughes especially by TKO!!!! I agree that Hughes is past his prime and not going to get the title any time soon but he is still Matt Hughes. Just think about the pick before you do it is all I ask.

right now, 18 picked hughes, 9 picked alves

looks like respect to me
JBatch
5/3/08 5:58:04PM
I am not sure why but I still think Hughes has got it in him to win this fight. The guy is a warrior, the greatest WW if not UFC champion thus far in the organization. I got to go with the farm boy I have never liked him but can not deny he is a great fighter.

Alves is dirty tho and an excellent striker if he does manage to pick Hughes apart and drop him I would not be sad.

Hughes is a stud and SHOULD be able to control this fight on the ground, possibly even submit Alves.
FredThaGR8
5/3/08 8:38:52PM
I went with my heart and picked Hughes, I know Hughes is on his way out and wouldn't be surprised when Thiago stalls on the ground considering he is from ATT and knocks my boy out late in the 3rd.
DevonFoxy
5/3/08 10:36:31PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by DevonFoxy

right now, 18 picked hughes, 9 picked alves

looks like respect to me

When posted it though the amounts where much worse for Hughes and the post before mine mostly were not favoring Hughes
GSPCanada
5/4/08 2:51:45AM
It's a fairly even fight typical grappler vs striker so anhing can happen. If you think Hughes has no chance you should not comment on mma. My pick is Alves but I wouldn't bet the house on him. Hughes has taken just about everyone down, who hasn't he taken down st. pierre in the 2nd 3rd figth? ya but who has taken st.pierre down. He was even able to take Penn down a few times the 2nd fight. The guy is still matt hughes and i'm a little surprised that so many people still recognize that. Hughes is on his way down and Alves is on his way up but Hughes can still be better.

I know its a little ridiculous for me to pick Alves and defend Hughes. I understand if Hughes is an underdog but people can't count him out completely thats just ridiculous
tylerlee123
5/4/08 4:11:13PM
I would love to see Alves take it but man it would be sweet if hughes won
mrkennedy
5/4/08 4:20:38PM
i got hughes by decision,but if alves can keep it standing that will be easy for him to win
kaskd
5/5/08 4:36:23PM
I won't even talk about the Fitch fight because that was a while ago, and Alves has matured. But looking at the recent Karo fight Alves can be taken down (I know that Karo uses a completely different style of takedown). My point is Hughes only has to get him down once (per round) because he has such great body control. Karo couldn't hold Alves down, but Hughes will and LnP for a UD.

btw all this bs that Hughes can't wrestle... wtf? Where is this all coming from? Have we that easily forgotten how dominant Hughes was? The only guys that beat him recently are freakin BJ Penn, the guy is insanely difficult to takedown, and GSP. Are we really putting Alves at that level?
JWils
5/5/08 4:55:44PM
The keys to this fight are easy to identify. If it stays on the feet, Alves wins, if it is a ground fight, Hughes wins.

I think this fight will really show the MMA world what Hughes has left and if the game is passing him by. I understand why people are sort of overlooking Hughes' skills since he has got dismantled by GSP twice. But, look as GSP's most recent fights. The man has made everyone look like an amateur.

After thinking about this fight, this is really a perfect matchup for the welterweight division. If Alves wins this fight, the UFC instantly has another young stud contender to work with, if Hughes wins, the UFC still has one of their biggest names near the top of his division.

Very, very interesting matchup and I'm hoping Hughes shows that he still has "it".
vanillavick9
5/8/08 12:06:00PM
Hughes will take him down. Conrol the first round. Get an early takedown in the 2nd. Will attempt and fail submissions. Fight will stand up. Alves cracks his jaw.
keith-hackney1
5/8/08 5:18:35PM
Matt hughes will win via destructive ground and pound, i see hughes trapping the arm like he did against penn, when it gets to that point, fights over.