Thiago Alves Fighter of the Year

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Thiago Alves Fighter of the Year
SpiderSilva
1/9/09 11:38:20AM
He beat some top level guys this year

LINK

I would have to say Rashad might be up there as well
DCRage
1/9/09 12:01:10PM
Sherdog picked Rashad.

Article
Wallass
1/9/09 12:53:55PM
It should be Rashad. No offense to Thiago but he didnt even make weight for his fight with Hughes so I think Rashad should take this one. Or maybe even Ken Flo.
wiggum
1/9/09 1:17:56PM
weight issues aside, i think alves deserves it....he was over, 4 lbs, if hughes cant handle that difference, then he shouldnt have agreed to stay with the fight.....thiago beat 3 top 10 guys in arguably the most competive division, who was the last guy to do that?...rashad is close, but i think the only reason you could give it to him cuz he got the belt, which is valid......you could argue rashad ko'd his guys, but so did thiago except koscheck (who did take it on short notice, but was already in shape and still had 4 weeks! not that short notice)...karo had never been stopped before....thiago all day
ncordless
1/9/09 1:24:41PM
Alves fought great this year, but so did Rashad and IMO not making weight is serious enough to drop him down and out of the competition.
EvenFlow
1/9/09 2:03:06PM
Ugh with the missing weight thing again, Thiago Alves is fighter of the year.
Pookie
1/9/09 5:44:00PM
Thiago dominated in every performance while rashad did not, i think its Thiago all the way.
JuggaloWarrior878
1/9/09 6:29:58PM
My vote is 4 thiago this year he climbed the ranks so fast he beat karo to be in the top 10 he beat hughes to be in the top 5 and then he beat kos to be in the top 2. what a run
Wallass
1/10/09 12:57:20PM
It is very close guys but Florian beat Lauzon, Huerta and Stevenson. All three are top Lightweight contenders, maybe not Lauzon, but Florian beat Stevenson easily and pulled out an upset, according to a lot of people, with his win over Huerta.

Thiago beat three top Welterweight contenders, even tougher opponents then Ken Flo but like I said, not making weight for one of those fight does cost him in my books and fighting Koscheck on short notice is another reason why I say Florian is fighter of the year. Im sure Thiago would have beat Koscheck anyways if it was a scheduled fight from the get go but we wont know until that day comes. Im sticking with Ken Flo being fighter of the year with Thiago a close second follwed by Rashad.
bls1919
1/10/09 9:06:39PM
WAR ALVES!!! This guy is definatly FOTY. Cant wait to watch him fight again. IMO Cain Velasquez, Shane Carwin and Brock are at the top of this list as well. Then there is Lyuiz Cane who is my favorite Up and Comer.
Pitbull09
1/11/09 1:36:22AM
Rashad Evans
Thaigo Alves
Anderson Silva

They are all winners this year
Pitbull09
1/11/09 1:40:41AM

Posted by Wallass

It is very close guys but Florian beat Lauzon, Huerta and Stevenson. All three are top Lightweight contenders, maybe not Lauzon, but Florian beat Stevenson easily and pulled out an upset, according to a lot of people, with his win over Huerta.

Ken Flo is good but Lauzon def wasnt a contender and imo Huerta had a very VERY padded UFC record going into that fight and it showed by how Florian ran over him. He is a high caliber fight but his fights this year almost make it impossible to credit him FOTY compared to the other three I mentioned above
casey64
1/11/09 1:59:54PM
Rashad deserves it more I think.
jiujitsufreak74
1/11/09 2:25:58PM
i can't pick Rashad for this honor, he only fought 2 times this year. now, he had 2 big wins, but it just isn't enough quantity for me to feel good about it (and don't even bring up the old adage quality over quantity )

Alves gets it from me; he missed weight because of an ankle injury he sustained during training which for anyone that has ever cut weight knows an ankle injury will seriously affect your weight cut. i am strongly against missing weight, but in Thiago's case i felt it was justified.