Thiago Alves going the extra mile to make Georges St. Pierre pay at UFC 100

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Thiago Alves going the extra mile to make Georges St. Pierre pay at UFC 100
MMAcca
5/6/09 2:22:33PM
“It’s going to be a good camp [in Colorado]. It’s going to be five weeks. We’ve got our house and everything, and all we are going to do is train and sleep and train…. It’s a title shot … I’m going to do everything I can to get there, and Colorado is just another thing that I have to do…. I’m going to look for the knockout. I’m going to make him pay for every mistake. I know he doesn’t make many mistakes, but … I’m going to make him make those mistakes, and he is going to pay for everything.”

LINK
KaibaThedon
5/6/09 4:41:39PM
I still have Jon Fitch as the no 2 man at 170lbs

But should be a good fight
slapshot
5/6/09 8:20:08PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

I still have Jon Fitch as the no 2 man at 170lbs

But should be a good fight

Personally I dont see how anyone can have Alves ahead of Fitch in any ranking but Fitch has already lost to GSP recently and in that regard it's logical.
cloud301336
5/6/09 10:41:18PM
Ture Fitch is nmber two, but i BET Thiago Alves would kick the s*** out of Fitch if they had a rematch.. BET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if Thiago can stop the take down i BET hes going to win against GSP considering Kos was able to take down GSP but not Alves

WAR ALVES

P.S. i don't care if I'm nut huggin
TimW001
5/7/09 12:06:14AM

Posted by cloud301336

considering Kos was able to take down GSP

Pardon me?

cloud301336
5/7/09 1:16:08AM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by cloud301336

Pardon me?

Umm..... what are you talking about, have you even watched the fight Josh Koscheck clearly takes him down in the first round.
EvenFlow
5/7/09 2:36:21AM

Posted by cloud301336

Posted by TimW001

Posted by cloud301336

Pardon me?

Umm..... what are you talking about, have you even watched the fight Josh Koscheck clearly takes him down in the first round.

owned
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ncordless
5/7/09 8:19:09PM

Posted by cloud301336

Posted by TimW001

Posted by cloud301336

Pardon me?

For the record, Kos was 1 for 4 in takedown attempts. He was only able to land 6 punches after that takedown. GSP also took Kos down that round and landed 19 punches. Kos did get that first TD, but he was stuffed badly the rest of the fight in a tremendous display of TD D which for me still to this day stands as a highwater mark of TD D in MMA.

And I do not understand why people think Fitch is ahead of Alves? Alves has won his last seven fights, the last three of which were against top ten fighters. Fitch did beat Alves two years ago, but that was kind of a freak KO. Fitch lost badly to GSP and has not looked that great since his fight with Sanchez. Speaking of Diego, that is his only other top ten opponent and he has since moved to LW.
cloud301336
5/7/09 9:38:05PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by cloud301336

Posted by TimW001

Posted by cloud301336

Pardon me?

For the record, Kos was 1 for 4 in takedown attempts. He was only able to land 6 punches after that takedown. GSP also took Kos down that round and landed 19 punches. Kos did get that first TD, but he was stuffed badly the rest of the fight in a tremendous display of TD D which for me still to this day stands as a highwater mark of TD D in MMA.

And I do not understand why people think Fitch is ahead of Alves? Alves has won his last seven fights, the last three of which were against top ten fighters. Fitch did beat Alves two years ago, but that was kind of a freak KO. Fitch lost badly to GSP and has not looked that great since his fight with Sanchez. Speaking of Diego, that is his only other top ten opponent and he has since moved to LW.

Alright then you tell me, whats better no take downs or one take down?, simple knowledge tells me no take down... and when were we ever talking about shots landed and what i don't understand is how you can't rank Fitch number two considering he's only lost once in that division (to the champ) and beat Alves. He also holds a win streak of 8, tied for second best win streak in the UFC

P.S. Did Fitch make Alves walk into his up kick or did he do it on his own free will. seems like a fair TKO to me. but rest assure Alves would kick his A**! in a rematch.
slapshot
5/8/09 3:20:57PM
Kos had a full camp for GSP and took the Alves fight on short notice, I really dont remember Kos making any attempt to take Alves to the ground, from what I remember he seemed like he wanted to stand and only went for takedowns when he got hurt.

I watched that fight again and Kos only had one td attempt in that fight, the other attempts where after he had been rocked, basic instinct for a wrestler.

If you put aside that Fitch ko'd him and that Hughes took him down and just look at the two fighters the major issue is that you just cant defend GSP's takedowns. I just have a hard time seeing this fight as a stand up war and even if it was I think GSP's striking is really not that far behind alves's.