Thiago Alves Vs Diego Sanchez

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thiago Alves Vs Diego Sanchez
Next Page »
POLL: Who Wins
Thiago Alves 58% (34)
Diego Sanchez 42% (25)
RandyCouture
7/2/08 11:38:59PM
Who are you guys taking in this fight. Personally I think thiago Alves will take this 1 I think he has better stand up and will be able to use his size to control the pace of this fight. Alot of people are prob gona say that winner get a title shot but i dont think Sanchez deserves one yet. He is coming of two impressive wins but hasn't beaten anybody of a great caliber on the other hand if Alves wins he deserves the next title shot for sure. I think diego needs at least 1 more win if he beats Alves.

Thoughts???
mkiv9secsupra
7/2/08 11:40:49PM
Diego pounds him out in the second round.....
chrismithers
7/2/08 11:45:59PM
I love diego and i like alves but im going to have to take diego. he looked pretty impressive in his last fight. i think diego is back and ready.
mrkennedy
7/2/08 11:54:01PM
im not agree whit this fightI IMO Sanchez dont deserve that fight
RandyCouture
7/3/08 12:03:16AM
Ya i think they should of put him against somebody like swick or davis or possibly winner of kos lytle fight. But not right into title contention
joshryanshepherd
7/3/08 12:16:27AM
i don't think its a matter of deserving a fight or not. its who you know are the best and who would make a good fight. i don't really like Diego as a person but love his fighting style. he may win a rematch with Kos or Fitch. and he would definitely beat Thiago. Diego would give GSP much more of a fight than Fitch, Kos, or Alves Guaranteed!!!
Pitbull09
7/3/08 12:32:06AM

Posted by mrkennedy

Exactly. If Diego wins this, #1 one contender will be hard to decide. How can Diego be #1 when Kos beat him and is on a win streak (if he beats Lytle.) And also, does this mean Thiago gets thrown back in line after a 7 fight wins streak? Good matchup but not good for the division. Dana doesnt seem to care about divisions though with the BJ fight announced
SmileR
7/3/08 7:08:42AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by mrkennedy

Exactly. If Diego wins this, #1 one contender will be hard to decide. How can Diego be #1 when Kos beat him and is on a win streak (if he beats Lytle.) And also, does this mean Thiago gets thrown back in line after a 7 fight wins streak? Good matchup but not good for the division. Dana doesnt seem to care about divisions though with the BJ fight announced

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but I think the winner of the Diego - Alves fight should fight Kos. When he fought Diego last it was a joke. I'm no fan of him by a long shot but Kos rubbed me the wrong way after he won.
I think a rematch between Kos and Diego would be great to decide the number 1 contender. I'd pick Diego to. No staph infection, no possibly HIV positive just a focused Sanchez and Kos. That would be a awesome match.
Kos couldn't even finish Diego when he was weak I'd love to see him try when hes at full strength.
jiujitsufreak74
7/3/08 10:12:53AM
Diego's fight with Luigi proved that he is extremely vulnerable to anyone with a sprawl. if Luigi could give Diego problems and even win a round (which i thought he did) i am 100% sure that Thiago will be able to win this fight. if Luigi can keep it standing and land punches, then Thiago can too. Diego has been exposed and Thiago will capitalize.

Thiago R2 KO
ToeZup
7/3/08 10:31:15AM
I have to go with Alves in this one. Diego throws a lot of umph into his shots which at times throws him off balance if he misses. Thiag is a world class striker with patience so I think Alves will take advantage of this. It's going to be a great stand up brawl i'm sure.
NatedawgThaM
7/3/08 10:37:25AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted By joshryanshepherd

i don't think its a matter of deserving a fight or not. its who you know are the best and who would make a good fight. i don't really like Diego as a person but love his fighting style. he may win a rematch with Kos or Fitch. and he would definitely beat Thiago. Diego would give GSP much more of a fight than Fitch, Kos, or Alves Guaranteed!!!

100%!!!!

All Thiago has on Diego is a little bit better stand up(after beating on Lugi on the feet Diego shortened that wide margin) and size. Diego is quicker, more explosive, better wrestling and BJJ, and probably better cardio. Diego will hang with Thiago on the feet until he's finally able to get him down in the 2nd and pound him out! And because of his extremely well roundedness, I think Diego would give GSP his toughest fight at 170.
jiujitsufreak74
7/3/08 10:44:09AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

All Thiago has on Diego is a little bit better stand up(after beating on Lugi on the feet Diego shortened that wide margin) and size. Diego is quicker, more explosive, better wrestling and BJJ, and probably better cardio. Diego will hang with Thiago on the feet until he's finally able to get him down in the 2nd and pound him out!

if he couldn't get Luigi down he won't get Thiago down. Luigi proved that anyone with a good sprawl will give Diego a lot of problems. Thiago will be able to keep this on the feet and expose Diego by scoring the KO in the second. i don't know why people take the Diego vs Luigi fight as an example of how Diego is back when in fact it shows just how vulnerable Diego is.
DangerousDjohn
7/3/08 10:50:49AM
I love both fighters and this should be exciting but Alves is the better fighter.
NatedawgThaM
7/3/08 10:52:00AM
Because everybody knew his stand up was his weakest area and he shocked everyone being able to out strike Lugi which proved he's back and better then ever. Plus Thiago is a better kicker then a puncher rather then when it's the other way with Lugi. His kicks will make him more vulnerable for a takedown and Diego is way better then Matt Hughes at this stage in their careers. I think Diego will catch a leg kick and eventually get him down.

Plus Diego is becoming more of a BJJ guy with explosive transitions rather then a wrestler and you of all people being a Shinya Aoki fan should know you don't need to shoot doubles or singles to get somebody down

Not comparing Diego or Shinya's BJJ levels by any means, just saying their's other ways to put this on the ground...
jiujitsufreak74
7/3/08 11:06:25AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Because everybody knew his stand up was his weakest area and he shocked everyone being able to out strike Lugi which proved he's back and better then ever. Plus Thiago is a better kicker then a puncher rather then when it's the other way with Lugi. His kicks will make him more vulnerable for a takedown and Diego is way better then Matt Hughes at this stage in their careers. I think Diego will catch a leg kick and eventually get him down.

Plus Diego is becoming more of a BJJ guy with explosive transitions rather then a wrestler and you of all people being a Shinya Aoki fan should know you don't need to shoot doubles or singles to get somebody down

Not comparing Diego or Shinya's BJJ levels by any means, just saying their's other ways to put this on the ground...

i understand but i was completely unimpressed with Diego. i expected him to have better stand-up than Luigi, who imo doesn't have amazing stand up to begin with, so i was shocked when it was close. Thiago has massive power in his hands, feet and knees so don't write off his punching power just yet. i just think Diego will have a hard time getting this to the ground and he will suffer on the feet.

and yes, as an Aoki fan i know there are other ways to get the fight to the ground...i just don't think Diego is capable of such ways
Rush
7/3/08 11:52:24AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

and yes, as an Aoki fan i know there are other ways to get the fight to the ground...i just don't think Diego is capable of such ways

If Diego wears stretchy pants for this fight, then I will pick Diego. Other than that, I agree with JJFK that Thiago will take this one.

I say Thiago by UD.
DevonFoxy
7/3/08 11:54:11AM
I agree with JJFreak I mean I would say Hughes has better take downs then Diego and Hughes only got him down if I remember once and when he got there he couldn't do anything. I think Diego could do better on top then Hughes but still getting it there is going to be hard and Diego's stand up has improved but not to the level of Thiago's. If he couldn't take down Lugi how is he gonna get Alves down when he just defended the take downs of the second best wrestler in the division?

Def. going to be the hot bout and a get fight all in all I wish Thiago was fighting Kos for the next title shot but meh what can ya do.
cowcatcher
7/3/08 11:59:16AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by mrkennedy

Exactly.

did you really just write exactly after reading that?????

ok back on topic, im not sure who i like in this one yet, but the luigi fight keeps coming up and i dont know why luigi got this rep as a good striker. joe rogan and goldie were saying it and i was like "why is he a good striker, because he KOd an aging menne(who IMO was never that good anyways, former UFC champ or not), and solomon hutcherson who got KOd by rory f'n singer?" i dunno, i guess i dont think luigi is that great of a measuring stick, but diego looked ok on his feet, and he has a time or two before, but alves has a really big advantage there so im just not sure who to pick yet.
Rush
7/3/08 12:39:44PM
I think Luigi has a lot of power with one of his hands, but I agree that doesn't make him a great striker.
Violence108
7/3/08 12:48:57PM
Thiago Alves KO's Diego Sanchez , Diego looked great in hes last fight but it was against a guy not even in the top 15 i think, and the fight before that was against so can, and Thiago last to fights were agaisnt Matt Hughes and Karo , who he KO'd both of them or TKO, Diego took Karo to a deision, Thiago KO'd him out. Alves wins KO
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Figsak
7/3/08 1:44:31PM
Diego has an iron chin my friend. I think Diego outwrestles Alves for the split decision.

If any1 gets K'dTFO here it's Alves.
Jlloyd
7/3/08 3:33:54PM
Interesting match up

i hope and think Diego will take it
mrkennedy
7/3/08 5:49:39PM

Posted by Figsak

Diego has an iron chin my friend. I think Diego outwrestles Alves for the split decision.

If any1 gets K'dTFO here it's Alves.

karo have a iron chin and Alves ko him

but i stil think diego dont deserved that fight

Alves by decision
GrizzlyChadams
7/3/08 6:18:58PM
I don't know how anyone is picking Sanchez for this fight. If luigi could defend his takendowns, do you really think Alves being the bigger stronger of the two is going to have any trouble? And Sanchez doesn't have anywhere near the power that Alves does. KO by RD 2 for Alves.
Franklinfan47
7/3/08 10:02:04PM
Tough one. I say Alves takes this but it could easily go either way.
NinjaCyborg
7/4/08 1:00:16AM
This fight is going to be awesome!! It is a perfect co-main event to Leben vs Bisping. I am definitley going to watch this one!
These should be two wicked fights.
I'm picking Thiago Alves to get the KO over Diego, I picked the 2nd round.
JBatch
7/4/08 10:30:55AM
Joe Silva is really stepping it up right now and throwing together solid match-ups. I am very conflicted in picking this one, Diego has been very solid lately but Thiago looks almost unstoppable on his feet. If Diego can weather the first round barrage I think he takes a UD. I could be wrong and Thiago could pick him apart the entire fight.

Won't make a pick on this one for a while. Heart says Diego UD (and I dont even lik him) but the brain is telling me Thiago 2nd rd KO.
Pitbull09
7/4/08 3:03:55PM
This seems like a hot bout for MMAplayground. Do you think the wagers odds will be gay where both fighter have negatives so you can't make as much money as you bet or more?

Thiago Alves 1st or 2nd Round KO
EON
7/4/08 3:12:50PM
Just look at their common opponent in Karo, Thiago did significantly better than Diego did, if Karo didnt gas he would have taken Diego to a decision. Thiago will use his superior striking, sprawl, technique, killer intinct and knock Diego out after a feeling out process.
Korsakov
7/4/08 8:09:25PM
thiago will brutally beat down diego. believe that.
Pages: [1] 2