Thiago Alves should be a contender

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Thiago Alves should be a contender
POLL: Where do you guys see Thiago Alves at?
Contender if he wins this fight 7% (3)
Top 5 WW in UFC if he wins this fight 5% (2)
Top 10 WW in UFC if he wins the fight 65% (28)
Not even close 12% (5)
Shouldn't be in the UFC 0% (0)
Where is the "I hate Don King" option? 12% (5)
Pitbull09
11/14/07 11:46:55PM
I know a lot of people would dismiss him early but if you look at the guys record, hes only lost to Spenser Fisher, Jon Fitch (that guy has a 14 win streak and is a probable contender) and derick nobel (who he has recently avenged and beat in a good fashion). So the guy has 3 wins in a row now and I think after this fight he should be considered in the mix with Fitch and the Ryo/Karo winner. He gets caught easily but it looks like he learning well and a jujitzu master like Karo would be a good fight for him.

What do you guys think?
Pitbull09
11/14/07 11:50:59PM
The way i see it, if he wins this fight he is in the top 10 no doubt. If he wins his next fight against a bigger name like Fitch, Karo, or even a rematch with Fisher he makes the 4-6 spot in the weight class. And then thats where he could get a title shot

The guy is far from meeting the potential of GSP or Hughes fight now but he seems like one of the up and comers for the UFCs future. Maybe him and Fitch will end up being a feud if he wins a rematch
Believe-in-judo81
11/15/07 12:39:08AM
I'd like to see him and Marcus Davis fight next, after that toss the winner in with whoever wins the Karo/Ryo fight for a shot behind Fitch. I like this because Davis and Alves have both looked good and would have a great fight, and in the case that Chonan wins it gives him one more tough fight before a title shot that legitimizes him in the eyes of casual fans. Hell, even if Karo wins he'll still being waiting a while for his shot so it's no real loss and sets up two great fights. (Alves v. s. Davis and winner v.s. Karo)
the_Advocate
11/15/07 1:50:11AM
a win here definitely gets him top 10 @ 170....lytle is a good experienced test for him....lest not forget that lytle has only been stopped once by joe riggs....not even the legendary matt hughes could stop him....lytle's got a good chin and solid ground game with the cardio to go the 3...i keep going back and forth on this one....if alves can stamp him out, I definitely think the WW division will be perkin their ears up on who their next opponent will be
stock
11/15/07 10:14:48AM
I voted top 10 (but I already have him as #10).
He still has not beaten anyone that I have ranked above him.
I think a good next fight for him (assuming he puts Lytle away) would be the winner of the Chonan/Parisyan fight.
If you are in Alves' shoes you also have to be thinking about guys like Kos, Sanchez and Fitch. Obviously Serra, Hughes, and GSP are at the very top of the WW food chain at this point.

That being said, I actually have more interest in this fight than the Parisyan fight and the main event this weekend.
Naturaldisaster
11/15/07 10:51:27AM
I'd say he's about number 7 if he wins his fight
atlas777
11/15/07 10:57:32AM
I say alves wins this fight by TKO in the second and then he should have to fight karo (becuase he is going to beat Chonan) for the #1 contender spot
JWils
11/15/07 11:15:46AM

Posted by atlas777

I say alves wins this fight by TKO in the second and then he should have to fight karo (becuase he is going to beat Chonan) for the #1 contender spot

I've got to disagree with you on this one. Alves is good but he needs to get in line behind Fitch, Karo, & Koscheck.

Fitch smashed Alves and has beaten better competition and is still waiting for his title shot. Alves probably has to win 2 or 3 more fights IF he beats Lytle to be in the discussion for a # 1 contender spot.

I agree with the poster that a fight with Marcus Davis would be a good matchup for the both of them in the near future.

As for the poll question, I would put him in the top 10 in the UFC WW if he beats Lytle.
atlas777
11/15/07 11:53:36AM

Sorry i got a little ahead of myself by competely forgetting about Jon Fitch and im not sure exactly how that happened but i see now that alves should have to wait a few more fights i think Fitch should fight Karo (after he beats Chonan) for a title shot then alves can get a few more fights and go for a title after that thanks for correcting me
fedorwins1
11/15/07 3:33:10PM
He's really young and he's constantly getting better, I don't think he'll ever be the champ though. He's in a really deep division in the UFC and as long as GSP, Hughes, etc. are around I don't think he'll beat them.
woodmo
11/15/07 4:14:43PM
I think it is a huge assumption to think he is gonna beat Lytle. If he does (which I don't think he will) he is still on the outside for a year or so.
pv3Hpv3p
11/15/07 5:05:05PM

Posted by atlas777

Sorry i got a little ahead of myself by competely forgetting about Jon Fitch and im not sure exactly how that happened but i see now that alves should have to wait a few more fights i think Fitch should fight Karo (after he beats Chonan) for a title shot then alves can get a few more fights and go for a title after that thanks for correcting me

I was gonna say.... What about Fitch!!!

But you're right, he's definitely heading in the right direction... I think believe-in-judo hit the nail on the head saying that the winner of this fight should get a fight w/ Davis for a #2 contender spot (if #2 contender spots exist)
Pitbull09
11/15/07 5:51:47PM

Posted by the_Advocate

a win here definitely gets him top 10 @ 170....lytle is a good experienced test for him....lest not forget that lytle has only been stopped once by joe riggs....not even the legendary matt hughes could stop him....lytle's got a good chin and solid ground game with the cardio to go the 3...i keep going back and forth on this one....if alves can stamp him out, I definitely think the WW division will be perkin their ears up on who their next opponent will be

Im worried a lot about the lytle fight. Alves let himself get caught so many times in the fisher fight though he was dominating and finally it led to him losing. Lytle has the same potential so this is the first test to see if he has improved on his submission defense this fight.

lol if you look at it though the last to guys who got title shots both beat lytle last to get it (Matt Serra and Matt Hughes)
Kastro
11/15/07 7:22:34PM
I liked Alves the first time I saw him fight in the UFC... the guy is very focused, he is in phenomenal shape, and he definitely posseses all the tools to become the champion one day...

On top of all that, he is very exciting to watch.. Besides GSP, he is my favorite fighter @ 170lbs and I see him having a very bright and exciting future in the UFC..
hippysmacker
11/16/07 12:11:14AM
I think you need to beat a guy in the top 10 , to be in the top 10. I don't know about everybody else, but Lytles not in my top 10 overall . More of a well rounded gatekeper IMO. Top 10 in the UFC welterweights I can agree, but I wanted to make sure that distinction is made.
CornishMMA
11/16/07 6:15:54AM
He is pretty even with Marcus Davis IMHO, they are both the solid WW sleepers but even then you have guys like Swick who could be immediate contenders and theres still guys like Diego and Koscheck who would need to fight Alves or Davis before they get legit contender status