Thiago Alves will be WW Champ in 2008

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Thiago Alves will be WW Champ in 2008
« Previous Page
Mattchoo
7/24/08 9:57:30AM
Alves is one of my favourite fighters in the WW division, although he has vastly improved his game and has phenomenal stand up. I dont think he could hack it in there with GSP.

Look at the callibre of fighters GSP has completely handled, most of them were in their prime or near abouts also.

At this point in Alves' career its almost a dead set GSP win.

Alves would beat Fitch in the rematch though definately.
Sir_Karl
7/29/08 4:50:11PM
As I mentioned in my Alves/Karo post.....Alves should be facing the winner of GSP vs. Fitch (I believe GSP will win that one).
Alves should get the shot then....and he could/may win.
I don't think the UFC wants Alves as the WW champ...that's one reason he is going to face Diego next.
Alves beats Karo...then Hughes...then he faces Diego?
Silly for sure.
2 rungs up the ladder...1 rung down?
Alves should not be facing Diego next...nope...no sir. Absolutely not.
I hope he (Alves) doesn't get screwed over like Karo did.
If a similar circumstance transpires it will be far worse in Alves's case than it was in Karo's case.
Manhandling Karo and Hughes alone should give him the title shot...don't forget Chris Lytle before them.
I don't understand the logic of the Diego/Alves fight...other than the UFC doesn't want Alves to be the champ....and they feel he is a huge threat to GSP...which he is.
GSP is a huge draw and is immensely popular...I think "they" want him at the top for a good bit of time.

Pitbull09
7/29/08 11:39:04PM
I agree with almost everything. I have liked Alves since the loss to Fitch too and Im amazed at how quickly he has come since. After beating Sanchez, he should be the best contender for 170lbs.

Only prob with what you said is he wont get a title shot til 2009
Pitbull09
7/29/08 11:44:00PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

GSP is a huge draw and is immensely popular...I think "they" want him at the top for a good bit of time.

Having him fight Fitch is pretty risky then
Pitbull09
7/29/08 11:50:47PM

Posted by Mattchoo

Alves is one of my favourite fighters in the WW division, although he has vastly improved his game and has phenomenal stand up. I dont think he could hack it in there with GSP.

Look at the callibre of fighters GSP has completely handled, most of them were in their prime or near abouts also.

At this point in Alves' career its almost a dead set GSP win.

The thing you are missing though is all the great competitors GSP has fought were wrestlers, not great strikers. I say Alves wins standing.
murphy_16
7/30/08 1:18:22AM
really alves beat GSP
Pages: 1 [2]