Thiago Alves will be WW Champ in 2008

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Thiago Alves will be WW Champ in 2008
Next Page »
EON
7/8/08 6:26:03PM
First of all, I'm a big fan of his, ever since I saw his fight with Fitch I knew this guy was gonna be great. Second of all, I dont care that Dana is making him fight another guy, I could care less about the making weight issue, even thought injuries arnt the best excuses in this case it was the only excuse...why would he show up to the biggest fight of his career unprepared if he didnt have a reason...exactly... Hughes himself could have said no to the matchup but he knew if Thiago won people would give him a hard time for it (like they already do, but even Hughes has missed weight) Third of all, look at how good Luigi did against Diego would was suppose to a shoe-in win for Diego, Luigi gave him all sorts of problems with good takedown defense however bad news for Luigi, Diego's standup was improved, but look at the common opponent between Alves and Diego...Karo, now watch both fights and tell me who did better...ok now that we've established that Alves did better so lets put this together, Diego is going to lose to Alves, he is more athletic, stronger, better striking, better TD than Luigi, more agile, and has better fighting / killer instincts.

Then, its my honest opinion he will beat the winner of Fitch / GSP which I see GSP beating Fitch, and then GSP either getting KO'd by Alves or him beating him to a decision, very good fight either way (my guess is GSP wants almost nothing to do with Alves' standup, if he didnt wanna fight Serra standing).... Alves vs GSP is the best fight at WW next to GSP / Penn or Alves / Penn.
tuvok500
7/8/08 6:28:31PM

Posted by EON

First of all, I'm a big fan of his, ever since I saw his fight with Fitch I knew this guy was gonna be great. Second of all, I dont care that Dana is making him fight another guy, I could care less about the making weight issue, even thought injuries arnt the best excuses in this case it was the only excuse...why would he show up to the biggest fight of his career unprepared if he didnt have a reason...exactly... Hughes himself could have said no to the matchup but he knew if Thiago won people would give him a hard time for it (like they already do, but even Hughes has missed weight) Third of all, look at how good Luigi did against Diego would was suppose to a shoe-in win for Diego, Luigi gave him all sorts of problems with good takedown defense however bad news for Luigi, Diego's standup was improved, but look at the common opponent between Alves and Diego...Karo, now watch both fights and tell me who did better...ok now that we've established that Alves did better so lets put this together, Diego is going to lose to Alves, he is more athletic, stronger, better striking, better TD than Luigi, more agile, and has better fighting / killer instincts.

Then, its my honest opinion he will beat the winner of Fitch / GSP which I see GSP beating Fitch, and then GSP either getting KO'd by Alves or him beating him to a decision, very good fight either way (my guess is GSP wants almost nothing to do with Alves' standup, if he didnt wanna fight Serra standing).... Alves vs GSP is the best fight at WW next to GSP / Penn or Alves / Penn.

LOL !!!

You can dream man , you can dream !!!

GSP my murder rd 2 !!!

EON
7/8/08 6:30:17PM

Posted by tuvok500
LOL !!!

You can dream man , you can dream !!!

GSP my murder rd 2 !!!

what a shock... your from canada, isnt it illigal to hate GSP there?
Matimus
7/8/08 6:35:11PM
Chris Lytle was whooping Alves's arse untill the retard doc stopped it.
Thats not taking anything away from Chris, he's my favourite fighter.

But Theres no way Alves would KO GSP.....or Fitch for that matter.
nickcuc547
7/8/08 6:36:56PM
i don't think alves will beat gsp, but i have to admit he's the only ww that has as good a standup as he does, the ground will be the difference, gsp is far superior to thiago. but a ko for alves is absolutely a possibility. btw i like the bold prediction.
EON
7/8/08 6:39:04PM
thats alright guys, keep doubtin'
JimiMak
7/8/08 6:56:05PM
1Thiago can't be champ if he can't make weight

2Matt has NEVER missed weight. Most professionals never do. Thiago is unprofessional.

3I'm known as not liking GSP, and Georges would KILL him.

Hope I'm not missing anything, like he misses weight.
EON
7/8/08 7:01:32PM

Posted by JimiMak

2Matt has NEVER missed weight. Most professionals never do. Thiago is unprofessional.

he missed weight against newton but later made the weight

its all good dude you can doubt Alves
grappler0000
7/8/08 7:15:35PM

Posted by EON

Posted by JimiMak

This has been discussed a dozen times on here...Hughes did not miss weight! He was over the first time he stepped on the scale, but made weight within the allotted timeframe...completely different from missing weight.
wolfman
7/8/08 7:18:03PM

Posted by EON

Posted by JimiMak

The key here is that Hughes did eventually make the weight, also Hughes has had WAY more fights than Alves and he only botched making weight ONCE(but as you mentioned he made the weight later, therefore he has never missed making weight). Whereas Alves has taken diuretics to lose weight illegally and then missed weight at UFC 85. He doesn't have nearly as many fights as Hughes and yet he has used an illegal substance to lose weight and then he did miss weight....Oh and GSP would beat Alves. Alves is an up and comer and has a lot of potential, but GSP is beyond him talent wise.
teddythetuna
7/8/08 7:18:50PM
I respect your opinion and agree that Alves would be a good matchup for GSP but i also believe GSP would win. And its not because im from Canada. Its because GSP has fought better competition and has a better all around game. Besides, Alves will never take the belt from anybody cause he cant make weight Oh and feel free to keep doubting GSP
grappler0000
7/8/08 7:32:52PM
I think Thiago has been very impressive lately, but has too many holes in his game to beat someone of GSP's caliber.

1. Fitch pounded Thiago out in the 2nd. GSP has better TDs and GnP than Fitch.

2. Thiago's striking is good, but...Karo was outstriking him until he got caught. And Lytle was going toe to toe with him until it was stopped. GSP has better striking that both of these guys.

3. Fisher was able to submit Alves...Fisher's JJ is decent but not nearly as good as GSP's.

You take all of those things into consideration on top of the fact that GSP has some of the best transitions in MMA, and it will be a long night for Thiago...err short night rather.
jiujitsufreak74
7/8/08 7:42:18PM
i honestly don't think GSP has better striking than Lytle, and i also think Thiago has immensely improved since the Fitch fight. i think he would make it entertaining against GSP but i would most likely pick GSP to win.

on the whole weight issue. you guys know how much i hate it when fighters can't make weight. it is disrespectful to both the fans and the sport and it is pretty much failing to do your job. however, i am not as mad at Thiago because of the ankle injury he sustained a week before the fight which would make it hard to miss weight. now, i am not going to say i completely forgive him but it isn't as bad imo as say Gina Carano missing weight for no apparent reason other than being a fat ass. i know the ankle might be a lame excuse, especially since he has tested positive for diuretics in the past, but i say if he makes weight 2 or 3 times in a row without a hitch then i won't really mind the fact he missed it against Hughes.
big_timmy
7/8/08 7:48:26PM
Not sure about 08, as he has a long way to come but i reckon he might come pretty fookin close in 09.
Gipper
7/8/08 8:26:44PM
we'll see if he can keep moving up the ww ladder. he's got his biggest test so far with diego sanchez. if he can get by diego then we will talk about a possible fight with gsp/fitch. if gsp can beat fitch there will probably be gsp/penn II. winner of diego/thiago might have to wait awhile unless winner fights kos.
DevonFoxy
7/8/08 8:34:48PM
GSP would def. loose a stand up war with Alves. But I think GSP would take Alves down and probably submit him there.
Alves showed good take down defense against Hughes but Hughes still got him there and I think GSP has shown he has better take downs at this point in his career than Hughes.

If it somehow stays standing I think Alves would beat GSP pretty handily I mean Penn ttore him apart in their match before he got gassed in that first round and Alves leg kicks would really hurt gsp's legs which is really the only thing that impresses people with GSP is his very technical kicks.

All in all I'd take GSP by 2nd rd. GnP or Submission based on GSP's take downs but GSP better get him there or else I think Gsp would be leaving with out a title.
Khaos
7/8/08 8:45:36PM
I'd think winner of Thiago /Sanchez would fight Koscheck, he'd beat either of them

so the topic name shoulb be changed to

Josh Koscheck will be WW Champ in 2008(2009)
EON
7/8/08 8:58:48PM

Posted by Khaos

I'd think winner of Thiago /Sanchez would fight Koscheck, he'd beat either of them

so the topic name shoulb be changed to

Josh Koscheck will be WW Champ in 2008(2009)

why would thiago have to fight another top 10 to get a title shot? thats asinine
EON
7/8/08 9:01:27PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by EON

Posted by JimiMak

The key here is that Hughes did eventually make the weight, also Hughes has had WAY more fights than Alves and he only botched making weight ONCE(but as you mentioned he made the weight later, therefore he has never missed making weight). Whereas Alves has taken diuretics to lose weight illegally and then missed weight at UFC 85. He doesn't have nearly as many fights as Hughes and yet he has used an illegal substance to lose weight and then he did miss weight....Oh and GSP would beat Alves. Alves is an up and comer and has a lot of potential, but GSP is beyond him talent wise.

doubters and haters beware

PS if Serra can do it anyone can, this is MMA
grappler0000
7/8/08 9:15:08PM

Posted by EON

So, you're banking on a longshot then?
Mchubb316
7/8/08 9:18:02PM
Alves is a solid fighter. GSP is leaps and bounds more advanced than him. GSP is on a different level. I don't think Alves could knock him out, or sub him. I also do not think Alves can go 5 rounds with a guy that pushes the pace as much as GSP. Rush would use his reach and kicks to set up takedowns, and finish it on the ground, whatever way he chooses.
EON
7/8/08 10:08:27PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by EON

So, you're banking on a longshot then?

i think hes a bad matchup for him, if you call that a longshot ok, doubters, GSP-huggers and haters beware
Copenhagen
7/8/08 10:28:19PM

Posted by EON

People always say that, "It's MMA, anyone can beat anyone," and it's true, but there is still a favorite in every fight.
The argument against you is not Alves cannot beat GSP. It is Alves is not the favorite against GSP.

wolfman
7/8/08 10:29:11PM

Posted by EON

Posted by wolfman

Posted by EON

Posted by JimiMak

So, because I disagree with you I am instantly considered a doubter, GSP nuthugger, or hater....Yeah, OK.
EON
7/8/08 10:30:47PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by EON

Posted by wolfman

Posted by EON

Posted by JimiMak

So, because I disagree with you I am instantly considered a doubter, GSP nuthugger, or hater....Yeah, OK.

thus a doubter, can you read?
wolfman
7/8/08 10:36:04PM

Posted by wolfman

I don't doubt Alves, I just KNOW and BELIEVE that GSP will beat him.
Pitbull09
7/8/08 11:39:51PM
I believe it man. Thiago is my favorite fighter in that division and will go all the way. GSP can;t hold back guys like Fitch, Alves, and Anthony Johnson who will eventually KO him.
EON
7/8/08 11:41:19PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by wolfman

which is perfectly ok... except alves will win
wolfman
7/8/08 11:46:51PM

Posted by EON

Posted by wolfman

Posted by wolfman

which is perfectly ok... except alves will win

Fair enough, as that is your opinion.
MMAFREAK89
7/24/08 7:41:49AM
Personally i don't think Thiago has a chance against GSP or Fitch we found out that he didn't with fitch, GSP submissions are great Alves would get caught and submit, So jon fitch has the really on chance at winning the titel against GSP.
Pages: [1] 2