Thiago Alves?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Thiago Alves?
TheNatural915
12/12/08 12:59:12PM
Who would have a better chance at beating Thiago Alves? B.J. Penn or Georges St.-Pierre?
aaa9erh8er
12/12/08 1:13:38PM
either fight would be a war.
on the subject i think the ufc payed alves a injustice 100% by skipping his title shot to make the "SUPERFIGHT"
Twenty20Dollars
12/12/08 1:43:22PM
gsp beats alves
alves beats bj

gsp beats bj
wiggum
12/12/08 1:52:26PM

Posted by TheNatural915

Who would have a better chance at beating Thiago Alves? B.J. Penn or Georges St.-Pierre?

This is gonna sound weird so bare with me.....i think gsp would just cuz of his size advantage over penn....penn is a 155'r and alves is huge for ww......as far as who alves has a better chance beating tho, i think he would beat gsp before he beat penn....i know, wtf, just negated what i said......the reason i say that tho, is that alves is a bad style matchup for gsp (as bad as it can get is a better way to put it)....great striker with ko power from everywhere, gsp has shown that he can get ko'd...plus alves has phenomonal takedown d and is a bjj black belt that uses it to perfection to get back up and not take damage......penn on the other hand cant be stopped unless he gases and hes got more ways to win than alves does
Gipper
12/12/08 2:00:13PM
i think they both beat alves. penn and st. pierre are on another level.
bojangalz
12/12/08 2:02:30PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

gsp beats alves
alves beats bj

gsp beats bj

SpiderSilva
12/12/08 2:57:14PM
lets see

BJ can pick apart both with his boxing

and better than both on the ground

the only way GSP can win is with LnP
HumanTarget
12/12/08 3:45:58PM
Penn has beaten bigger guys before and is used to fighting above his weight class. Im sure BJ would beat Alves, BJ has great take downs but would have to watch out for Alves's knees and leg kicks. BJ has to push the pace or else suffer the consequences.
higdon10
12/12/08 3:58:38PM
GSP is superior to Alves everywhere. I think he beats him 4 out of 5 times.
cj_striker
12/12/08 4:55:05PM
I'm just gonna throw some MMAth at everyone so all these Thiago Alves beating GSP questions will be answered. Fitch beat Alves, and GSP destroyed Fitch. Therefore GSP destroys Alves. People will say, well Alves is a much better fighter than when Fitch beat him, that's true, but Fitch is a much better fighter since he beat Alves and GSP still beat him. If their wasn't a GSP on this planet, Jon Fitch would be the WW champ and no one would take it from him for a long time, except maybe Penn. So my answer is Alves would lose to both.
dannyfrank
12/12/08 5:05:21PM

Posted by cj_striker

I'm just gonna throw some MMAth at everyone so all these Thiago Alves beating GSP questions will be answered. Fitch beat Alves, and GSP destroyed Fitch. Therefore GSP destroys Alves. People will say, well Alves is a much better fighter than when Fitch beat him, that's true, but Fitch is a much better fighter since he beat Alves and GSP still beat him. If their wasn't a GSP on this planet, Jon Fitch would be the WW champ and no one would take it from him for a long time, except maybe Penn. So my answer is Alves would lose to both.

i think that GSP would beat alves, but MMAth doesnt always work

Example:

liddell > wanderlei > rampage

however, rampage > liddell

king_katool
12/12/08 6:36:17PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by cj_striker

Example:

or how about jardine>liddell>wandy but wandy>jardine
dannyfrank
12/12/08 7:22:32PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by cj_striker

Example:

or how about jardine>liddell>wandy but wandy>jardine

exactly
EvenFlow
12/12/08 8:41:41PM

gsp beats alves
alves beats bj

gsp beats bj

backwards

alves beats gsp
bj beats both alves and gsp

if this is for both belts i have no doubt bj wins this even tho that makes no sense, i really dont like the penn vs gsp 2 match at the moment b/c i really wanted to see alves with the belt but it is what it is and even if penn loses alves is too much for gsp, no excuses for hughes or kos anymore they could barely do anything to thiago, kos couldnt get one takedown and hes pretty even with gsp
aaa9erh8er
12/12/08 11:20:18PM

Posted by HumanTarget

Penn has beaten bigger guys before and is used to fighting above his weight class. Im sure BJ would beat Alves, BJ has great take downs but would have to watch out for Alves's knees and leg kicks. BJ has to push the pace or else suffer the consequences.

who? rodrigo gracie was the only guy actualy taller then penn. but the only goy hes fought bigger by strength was hughes and there 1-1 id say it would be the bigest fighter of penns carrer. i may be missing something but not to hate on penn i think he should stay at 155 where no one can touch him why risk it tiagos a beast but i see gsp handeln him.
cmill21
12/12/08 11:23:39PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

who? rodrigo gracie was the only guy actualy taller then penn. but the only goy hes fought bigger by strength was hughes and there 1-1 id say it would be the bigest fighter of penns carrer. i may be missing something but not to hate on penn i think he should stay at 155 where no one can touch him why risk it tiagos a beast but i see gsp handeln him.

Lyoto Machida...Made it further then Rich did.
Pookie
12/12/08 11:34:54PM
I think GSP has a better chance at beating Thiago, as much as it may pain me to say it.

Thiago's Takedown defense will not be enough to keep it on the feet , and GSP has good enough mobility and footwork to get it when he wants too IMO. This leaves Thiago in his worst possible position against GSP's strongest, Thiago is competent on the ground but hes out classed here.

BJ Penn vs. Thiago Alves would be an absolute war, BJ comes forward continuosly and so does alves, I think BJ has the quicker hands, better chin and better stand-up defense, while Thiago has the power, the kicks, the size and the explosiveness.
BJ Penn is obviously the better of the two on the ground, but i dont know if his takedowns are good enough to take thiago down, he could certainly knock him down but he cant control where the fight takes place. I see it as 50/50.

Styles make match-ups, and gsp has the ability to take it to the ground while bj may not.
Pitbull09
12/13/08 12:24:57AM
Thiago would hurt BJ worse than he hurt Kos with those kicks. Every kick could sweep penn. GSp def is a harder fight for Alves
deezyo
12/14/08 8:40:51PM
gsp, he would match his strength
BigEvil
12/15/08 12:16:26PM
I think if all three fighters come in well prepared then GSP and Pen both beat Alves. However I think that GSP will have an easier time of it then BJ due to size and strength. I agree that right now both of these fighters are on another level then Alves, however we all know that can change in a second.
grimreaper
12/15/08 12:41:27PM
GSP vs Thiago would be a lot closer fight than people think Thiago's the only guy I've seen defend Koscheck's takedowns with ease even GSP got taken down by Koscheck plus I think you got to go back and look at the Matt Serra fight with GSP getting ko'd
MikeyG
12/15/08 3:47:06PM

Posted by grimreaper

GSP vs Thiago would be a lot closer fight than people think Thiago's the only guy I've seen defend Koscheck's takedowns with ease even GSP got taken down by Koscheck plus I think you got to go back and look at the Matt Serra fight with GSP getting ko'd

glad someone brought that up
MikeyG
12/15/08 3:48:35PM

Posted by Pookie

I think GSP has a better chance at beating Thiago, as much as it may pain me to say it.

Thiago's Takedown defense will not be enough to keep it on the feet , and GSP has good enough mobility and footwork to get it when he wants too IMO. This leaves Thiago in his worst possible position against GSP's strongest, Thiago is competent on the ground but hes out classed here.

lol we'll see about that
Aaronno9
12/15/08 3:55:30PM
If gsp wants this fight on the ground, its going to the ground. He has the best wrestling in MMA imo. I really think hes good enough to stand with alves and still win though. He looks better on the feet with every fight. People will always bring up the Serra fight, but thats history now. 2nd time around GSP dismantled serra standing.
MikeyG
12/15/08 4:08:34PM

Posted by Aaronno9

If gsp wants this fight on the ground, its going to the ground. He has the best wrestling in MMA imo. I really think hes good enough to stand with alves and still win though. He looks better on the feet with every fight. People will always bring up the Serra fight, but thats history now. 2nd time around GSP dismantled serra standing.

he cant stand with him and wont be able to take him down, i cant wait
HumanTarget
12/18/08 12:57:37PM
GSP, Lyoto are both bigger than Penn.
gsquat
12/18/08 2:08:59PM

gsp beats alves
alves beats bj

gsp beats bj

I think you got it right on. I think Alves's size advantage would be way too much for BJ. And I think GSP finds a way to get him to the ground.