And thats why GSP is #1 P4P fighter in the world

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » And thats why GSP is #1 P4P fighter in the world
Next Page »
Wallass
4/19/09 4:02:21PM
So, the top four used to be dangerously close with a case being able to be made for each Penn, GSP, Anderson and Fedor as to who the best is. I had GSP as 1 shortly after his fight with Penn because he demolished him and Penn was a legit threat. Fedor got his ass beat by Arlovski and nailed him with a well timed punch but due to the fact that he fights almost on a yearly basis and wasn`t impressive in his last fight he dropped and Anderson..... terrible fight with Cote and then an even worse fight with Leites months later. I mean is there really any question as to who should be considered the best? I know GSP may need to finish fights but seriously he beat down Fitch and Penn, two of the toughest for the entire fight convincingly and Anderson barely puts on a sparring session both times. This is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to there`s but after last night is there really any questioning who the real P4P best is?
DevonFoxy
4/19/09 4:08:50PM
I think after last night its only going to make the question harder to answer not confirm someone is in fact the best p4p fighter. Its a conversation that has no answer as far as I'm concerned and it's something I don't really think the fighters care that much about. But all in all I think last night left alot more questions then answers on who is the P4P king which is a crown that I think is non existing personally.
Ordep
4/19/09 4:21:45PM
Fedof fought Arlovski again?!?!?!?!
When??? I missed that "got his ass beat by Arlovski".
Wallass
4/19/09 4:24:19PM
Got his ass beat by Arlovski during the fight with the exception of the end is what I meant. Sorry about that.
Ordep
4/19/09 4:26:49PM
Take off your GSP glasses and watch that fight again, and tell me in which moments Arlovski was "beating Fedor's ass". He was looking sharp in the striking game for some of the FEW exchanges in that fight, but that way far from "beating" someones ass.
burialchamber
4/19/09 4:28:48PM

Posted by Ordep

Fedof fought Arlovski again?!?!?!?!
When??? I missed that "got his ass beat by Arlovski".

This. Fedor is #1 p4p, and was nowhere close to getting beat by AA.
Franklinfan47
4/19/09 4:37:37PM
Fedor is still #1 in my books, but I will say Silva vs GSP would be a good match to decide the #2 spot. I would give both fighters equal chance in that fight, seriously.
cmill21
4/19/09 5:02:15PM
Fedor has neverhad a blip on the radar, he's been as perfect as a fighter possibly can be. Only reason people don't give him his due is because he doesn't fight in the UFC.
Aether
4/19/09 5:11:13PM
GSP has been beaten, and beaten by a fighter not ranked in the top10 at the time. Since losing to Serra he has also looked really wary of standing with his opponents and fights long, grinding matches which often go to decisions or championship rounds. He almost always has a size advantage over his opponents.

Fedor got hit about 6 times by arlovski and knocked him out cold while he was flying through mid air in the first round. Fedor has never been beaten by anyone, and finishes the vast majority of his opponents in the first round while fighting with significant weight, reach and height disadvantages.

I still can never understand how people work the math out on this... When has anyone seen a fighter like Fedor? Until he loses I don't see how he can be ranked below #1.
C02
4/19/09 5:52:37PM
Fedor is #1 in the world by a big gap, Anderson is #2 by a small gap and GSP is #3 by a big gap. They are all dominating fighters. Give Anderson someone to fight. He dominates everyone he fights don't know why Anderson should slip he submitted Henderson, only other fighters to do that was the Nogs.

Anderson has always been #2 in my book just because Fedor fights outstanding and at points it doesn't even look like he has to try to win.
scobac
4/19/09 6:41:48PM
I say gsp is #1 without much question. Anderson hasnt really proved he is well rounded, and that to me is the biggest aspect of calling someone p4p best, gsp handles himself well in all positions and has fought more top notch comp than anderson, I know he lost to serra (he got caught), but I think that pushed him to be a much better fighter than he was, so in turn that was a good thing. as far as fedor, he dosent fight the best of the best on a regular, he isnt technical on his feet, but I cant argue that he pulls it out everytime. I put faber in the two or three spot (being up for grabs between anderson, fedor and faber). yes he suffered defeat, but the dude is sooo well rounded and has a warrior spirit that he may be unstopable after suffering that loss.
NatedawgThaM
4/19/09 9:36:42PM
That fight last night don't mean a damn thing IMO. At least not until GSP defends his title a few more times, I wouldn't be calling him the #1 P4P best. It's between Fedor and Anderson, Fedor just looks a little better since his last two fights weren't bad lin the crowds eyes like Andersons. I thought his last 2 fights were interesting though, just like real technical boxing matches. I enjoyed them.
Nitrus
4/19/09 10:22:22PM
Fedor > All

Simple like that
kaskd
4/19/09 10:48:44PM
What has GSP done to prove his the #1 P4P? He beat 2 LIGHTWEIGHT champs (BJ Penn and Sean Sherk). Beat Fitch, never held a belt (This actually earns GSP a lot of credit not trying to be sarcastic). Defeated Matt Hughes, former champ. Matt Serra, champ - whose fault was that?

Anderson Silva - 5 title defenses.Should be 6 if Lutter made weight. Against Rich Franklin (a guy who is now a weight class UP, champ. Dan Henderson, held 2 belts! (another guy who fights a weight class UP).

Fedor - Beat Arlovski, former champ. Sylvia, former champ. Crocop (in his prime!
), Grandprix winner. Big Nog in his prime

Just looking at that list, who honestly deserves to be the p4p? I see GSP fighting smaller men consistently. Silva fights men who are used to fighting at 205 and still dominates them. Fedor has taken on the greatest in the world.

If you want to talk skill set, fine talk skill set. But last night didn't raise GSP at all. It just lowered Anderson a little. Fedor.... Silva... GSP.
mentalcase
4/20/09 12:22:13AM
fedor is the best by a fuken country mile

beat the best in 2003 and has stayed on top all that time with zero losses in his career
Pookie
4/20/09 12:32:48AM
I think those American top team cats nailed it
Jackelope
4/20/09 12:47:12AM

Posted by Pookie

I think those American top team cats nailed it

gartface
4/20/09 1:11:18AM
I agree with most of the posters in this thread, but where is the love for Miguel Angel Torres?

For me #1 and #2 are interchangeable with Fedor and Anderson, and then #3 and #4 with GSP and Miguel Torres.
slapshot
4/20/09 1:14:36AM
Fedor is number one regardless of the fact the pitbull was winning that fight. Its not like it was luck Fedor KO'd him so IMO the scoring system only counts if the fight goes the distance, if not then who cares really? I mean LOL I was whooping ur azz till you knocked me out, really should not apply.

As far as who's number 2, IMO its still Silva. Just because he was fighting someone who really didn't want to stand (not that I blame him) and made the fight lack luster thats really not Anderson's fault. At times he looked like a cat playing with a mouse and dominated that fight completely..

Some people are saying GSP is far behind Silva but I cant understand that, I feel you could cut the difference in P4P rank with a razor blade.
mentalcase
4/20/09 2:57:14AM

Posted by gartface

I agree with most of the posters in this thread, but where is the love for Miguel Angel Torres?

For me #1 and #2 are interchangeable with Fedor and Anderson, and then #3 and #4 with GSP and Miguel Torres.

fedor beat nog in 2003 while anderson was geting subed by taksi and chonan,
fedor never missed a beat, now how is that interchangable

gartface
4/20/09 9:49:59AM
This isn't 2003. I have Fedor ranked #1, but I'm saying you can make the argument for either fighter. If you want to go with your argument of time and opponents, well in 2006 when Fedor was taking two rounds to beat Mark Coleman,(he did beat Mark Hunt which I'll give him all the credit in the world for) Anderson was making the start of his run by dismantling the UFC Middleweight champion in quick fashion. And in 2007 when Fedor was fighting a middleweight and a giant, Anderson was fighting and destroying Nate Marquardt and Rich Franklin again.

To discredit Anderson Silva for two losses that happened 6 years ago is not fair in my opinion.
roadking95th
4/20/09 1:24:33PM
Fedor is #1. He finishes and doesn't lose. He also doesn't take a lot of punishment and when he does he quicly recovers. He wins based on longevity and these other points.

Silva is #2. While he hasn't finished his last two opponents, he hasn't taken ANY damage either. This is very important. If you can't hit or attack someone, you can't beat them. This is what puts him ahead of Torres and GSP.
Dragoslav
4/20/09 1:26:09PM

Posted by Aether

GSP has been beaten, and beaten by a fighter not ranked in the top10 at the time. Since losing to Serra he has also looked really wary of standing with his opponents and fights long, grinding matches which often go to decisions or championship rounds. He almost always has a size advantage over his opponents.

Fedor got hit about 6 times by arlovski and knocked him out cold while he was flying through mid air in the first round. Fedor has never been beaten by anyone, and finishes the vast majority of his opponents in the first round while fighting with significant weight, reach and height disadvantages.

I still can never understand how people work the math out on this... When has anyone seen a fighter like Fedor? Until he loses I don't see how he can be ranked below #1.

Fedor has one loss on his record. And it was a cut stoppage. Other than that, he's never even so much as lost a round in any fight. He destroys most everyone he fights. He beats strikers at their game and grapplers at theirs. He's a complete, intelligent fighter with few weaknesses. I don't see how anyone can compare.

Also, Anderson is way better than GSP. Don't let those last two fights confuse you. Anderson was in there against people who had no business in there and he was bored. It's hard to be motivated for a fight when you don't view your opponent as a threat. It's as simple as that.
Wolfenstein
4/20/09 1:32:47PM
I don't think Fedor was at anytime "getting his ass kicked" by Arlovski, but he was certainly losing the round, but it's mute point because Fedor knocked him out cold in the first rd which is pretty impressive regardless of what spin you put on it.

The top three (Fedor, Anderson, and GSP) are all interchangable in my opinion, but if they were all equal in size, I think Fedor would beat them both--probably at the same time.
tdietel01
4/20/09 4:01:09PM
if were gonne use history in the P4P argument im gonna say royce gracie!! see that doesnt make sense. neither does bringing up andersons past losses. P4P means CURRENT fights, not years ago. I am gonna have to go with GSP as #1 he dominates top competition all the time.
hypocalking
4/20/09 5:11:34PM

Posted by Wallass

So, the top four used to be dangerously close with a case being able to be made for each Penn, GSP, Anderson and Fedor as to who the best is. I had GSP as 1 shortly after his fight with Penn because he demolished him and Penn was a legit threat. Fedor got his ass beat by Arlovski and nailed him with a well timed punch but due to the fact that he fights almost on a yearly basis and wasn`t impressive in his last fight he dropped and Anderson..... terrible fight with Cote and then an even worse fight with Leites months later. I mean is there really any question as to who should be considered the best? I know GSP may need to finish fights but seriously he beat down Fitch and Penn, two of the toughest for the entire fight convincingly and Anderson barely puts on a sparring session both times. This is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to there`s but after last night is there really any questioning who the real P4P best is?

Fedor is #1. Not GSP who got tkoed by an unranked ww.
JBatch
4/20/09 5:56:57PM
Don't think I have changed my P4P list in over 2 years and it is Fedor, GSP and then Anderson. I just don't think the calibre of opponents at 185 is equal to the talent that both GSP faces at 170 and Fedor has demolished at HW.
JimiMak
4/20/09 6:47:03PM
*yawn*

retarded. he's not the best and noone worth their salt would even want to see him face AS.
bls1919
4/20/09 8:19:48PM
Why? Because Anderson's oponent did nothing but try and lay down and invite Silva to dive into his guard. IMO Anderson is still well above GSP, and right behind Fedor. GSP dominated a head case. Ohh and Anderson has never..................NEVER lost HIS title!!!!! even to a fluke. Wow maybe thats why he was cautious to persue Leites. Instead of laying his title on the floor and saying come get it Matt.
mrsmiley
4/20/09 9:18:39PM
Fedor is still number one to me.
Even if he lost,it would still be hard (for me personaly) to say GSP or Silva were above him.It would just make the P4P number one posistion harder to call.

The thing is,Fedor will fight anyone at their own game.
AA wanted to stand,Fedor stood.
Nog wanted to put Fedor in his guard,Fedor gladly went their.
A lot of fighters want to fight were their strong at, Fedor seems to adapt to an opponents strength and make it their weak spot.
Pages: [1] 2