Test your knowledge

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Test your knowledge
« Previous Page
KungFuMaster
6/11/11 2:25:59AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by KungFuMaster
light is not the fastest moving thing. I do not remember what is faster but a professor has confirmed it with me.

I would be very intrigued to hear what moves faster than light. I have been reading the thread, and a lot of philosophy and physics coming up.

I hate philosophy in the sense that a book on philosophy (in my opinion) is one person explaining how they think the world works. What they think someone's moral motivation for an action is. What they think life is about. I gave up on it years ago. Any person, any philosopher can write whatever they want about life, but in my opinion, their opinions are only valid to themselves.

All philosophy is, in my opinion, is speculation on life. Relativity teaches us that everyone experiences life and events in a different way. You may think life works a certain way, I may think life works differently. We may differ in opinion, but that does not negate either points of view. We are both right and entitled to our perception.

Physics I find fairly interesting. I kind of gave up on it too, though. It's interesting if you want to calculate a satellite's position in orbit with the earth. That we can use physics for. So much other stuff is speculating.

My two favorite books, perhaps ranging all subjects and time, are "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It came out at least a dozen years ago, and was about string theory. The first chapters explained modern day physics, and really changed my view of life in all aspects, as it explained how life works, as we mathematically understand it.

My second favorite is "The Tao of Physics", by Fritjof Capra. It compares quantum physics and eastern mysticism: Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. I can't even go in to it, but that was another life changer for me. The amount of parallels is mind boggling. The amount of things described by eastern thought that is verified by quantum physics is fascinating.

I love the eastern thought as well, because it emphasizes (as I believe Pookie touched on) not knowing. "He who knows doesn't speak, He who speaks doesn't know", etc. Sure, it's good to have practical knowledge and not be a slackjawed, illiterate yokel, but we can only understand so much to this life.

I will have to research or google what is faster than light for you.

You make me want to pick up "The Tao of Physics."

It is interesting you mentioned how quantum physics can verified eastern philosophy - I take interest in paranormal activities and from what I have heard, many skeptics have become believers when trying to discredit paranormal activities.

I heard on an AM radio channel a scientist went out to disprove paranormal activities and ended up becoming a believer. He goes on to say science is usually 10 years behind the current thought or belief because science demands too much evidence to confirm something as fact.

I must purchase this book by Capra or do you happen to know if I can read it online?
Pookie
6/11/11 5:17:06AM
Ha! gotta prop you pmoney, i stole that book from my 10th grade english teacher. I wasnt even capable of understanding the whole thing until i was 19. It's definitely an eye-opener.
warglory
6/11/11 10:38:39AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

How do you know you exists?

I know i exist, because i know you exist. Now, the definition of existence can be debated, just as the semantics of knowing can be debated, for all i really know... we could be in the matrix. But because i believe, it is.

Perspective is reality.

Good answer but it is not what I am looking for. The answer is a realization in ones mind and way of thinking. It is not anything substantial. But for giving an honest good try, I award you a prop.

That's exactly what Pookie said.
warglory
6/11/11 10:50:27AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by KungFuMaster

Rene Descartes is known as the Father of knowledge. His breakthrough in achieving the first knowledge allows for other knowledge to follow and or be accepted. If we cannot prove we exist, then all other knowledge are useless. He contemplated this question for a very long time, " Do I exist?"

Finally, it dawned on him he must exists because of one simple fact. Dubito ergo sum. - I doubt, therefore I am.

Descartes was a philosopher, a scientist, and more importantly in his head, a Christian. He did all he could to rationalize consciousness, but he came no closer to explaining the unexplainable than you or myself. Descartes put it best when referencing our rationalization of God, by comparing our understand of God, to a piece of fabric's understanding of us. It's a very authoritative way of saying that he doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking about.
warglory
6/11/11 10:55:05AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

Select the most correct statement.
1. The table is flat.
2. The table is very flat.
3. The table is sort of flat
4. The table is not flat.

The table is not flat.

Correct. Flat only exists to us through imaginary mathematical concepts such as a plane.

This is a trick question, because it's all about perspective. From the table builder's perspective, it's a perfect mathematical straight line, but if you are going to break into the world of quantum physics, than there's not a table at all, it's just a cluster of energy.
warglory
6/11/11 11:03:51AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Pookie

The original question was prove your existence. Just because Descartes' has came the closest to solving an unanswerable question, IYO, it doesnt mean its the "correct" answer.

the correct answer is that there isnt a correct answer.

Actually, there is a rather lengthy answer in which Descartes explains how we can accept our existence.

Let us assume we are not real and we are only a figment of someone or something's imagination. Day in and day out, we see the same boulder sitting by the same tree. We see the same surroundings each and every day.

Descartes goes on to say if we are indeed controlled by a demon's thought (he calls this being a demon) then if this demon ever has a change in mood, our reality would be affected by it.

So if the demon feels sad, mad, happy, or whatever it is it is feeling, the reality in which we know will change accordingly. However, that is not the case. We continue to see and experience the same surroundings from day to day - from month to month and from year to year.

Say you are the demon and I am your imagination. My reality would constantly change. My surroundings would constantly change. I could be burning in the blazing desert one moment and the next, I could be freezing in the arctics. But since my surroundings do not change sporadically as they tend to remain fixed, I know there is constant and stability in my reality.

Explaining Descartes' philosophies is rather exhausting. To end this, I will simply tell you this. There are too many philosophers with too many philosophies and ideas which have made philosophy, as a whole, a complete mess.

No offense to you or any other philosophers, but this notion whether we exist or not is bordering on pettiness. You and I know we exist because we feel it. There is consistency in our reality. These philosophers who came along thought they can bring something new to the table which they did by questioning our reality, but in the end, they will have only undermined the work of prior philosophers.

It is good we challenge ideas and philosophies to better the community as depicted by the trials of Confucius and Socrates, but when we aim for ideas such as non-existence, that is when philosophy gets bizarre and loses much respect in the academic community.

I have studied music for many years. There was a revolution of new ideas for music which started sprouting in the 1940's and 50's. A man by the name of John Cage became famous for writing a piece entitled 4'33" (4 minutes and 33 seconds) in which no notes were played. Let me ask you. Is this genius or is this bizarre while bordering on stupid? The composer actually performed this piece in front of a live audience during a concert.

This is the kind of bologna I do not appreciate.

I hope you understand what I am getting at.

I'm sorry, but John Cage's experiment with 4'33" is not performance, it's pure existentialism, and his own ego being stroked. It's the equivalent of modern art where an artist puts a dollop of dog feces on a canvas and then proclaims it to be a work of art. Art, like anything else, is dictated by intelligence when determining it's worth. Clearly, art is the polar opposite of mathematics in it's ultimate purpose, but deep meaning is gained when not only the artist can express themselves thoroughly, but that the art he/she/they create, can be absorbed by the outside world in a real, non-superfluous way. Granted, art's worth is determined by the eye of the beholder, but anyone who agrees with the artistic merit of a dollop of crap is not seeing art, they are straining to appear elite amongst their peers.
warglory
6/11/11 11:15:13AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Mini Essay question: If Hitler never came into power in Germany, what would have been different, if any, in Germany during pre and post WWII?

Germany was in such a dire state post WWI and great depression (Germany got hit arguably harder than the US did during the depression), that the only suitable answer was eventual communist takeover. The people were not interested in Western democracy, as they had never truly experienced this before. The time post WWI, was technically a democracy, but it wasn't well established, and the powers that be weren't able to settle the temperament of the people.

If you look at turn of the century Russia, they were in a similar situation as Germany, with a rising tide of pissed off peasants, wanting more from life. Germany was very pissed and desperate at this time too (hence the reason they backed Hiter), and since communism was a clear choice for the desperate proletariat, it's safe to assume communism would have over-taken Germany.
warglory
6/11/11 11:21:39AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

How do we know Africa and North and South America were once a single land mass?

Because they fit together like puzzle pieces, and also based on our knowledge of plate tectonics. Pangea 4 LIFE!
KungFuMaster
6/11/11 2:07:41PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by KungFuMaster

Rene Descartes is known as the Father of knowledge. His breakthrough in achieving the first knowledge allows for other knowledge to follow and or be accepted. If we cannot prove we exist, then all other knowledge are useless. He contemplated this question for a very long time, " Do I exist?"

Finally, it dawned on him he must exists because of one simple fact. Dubito ergo sum. - I doubt, therefore I am.

Descartes was a philosopher, a scientist, and more importantly in his head, a Christian. He did all he could to rationalize consciousness, but he came no closer to explaining the unexplainable than you or myself. Descartes put it best when referencing our rationalization of God, by comparing our understand of God, to a piece of fabric's understanding of us. It's a very authoritative way of saying that he doesn't have a damn clue what he's talking about.

His biggest flaw was he was a Chirstian.
KungFuMaster
6/11/11 2:13:11PM

Posted by warglory

This is a trick question, because it's all about perspective. From the table builder's perspective, it's a perfect mathematical straight line, but if you are going to break into the world of quantum physics, than there's not a table at all, it's just a cluster of energy.

It is not a trick question. Nothing man made or naturally occurring has the properties of flat. A table, when looked at under a microscope, will not be flat.

Flat is a concept we have developed through mathematics and it only exists to us through imaginary concepts such as a plane.
KungFuMaster
6/11/11 2:14:31PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Pookie

The original question was prove your existence. Just because Descartes' has came the closest to solving an unanswerable question, IYO, it doesnt mean its the "correct" answer.

the correct answer is that there isnt a correct answer.

Actually, there is a rather lengthy answer in which Descartes explains how we can accept our existence.

Let us assume we are not real and we are only a figment of someone or something's imagination. Day in and day out, we see the same boulder sitting by the same tree. We see the same surroundings each and every day.

Descartes goes on to say if we are indeed controlled by a demon's thought (he calls this being a demon) then if this demon ever has a change in mood, our reality would be affected by it.

So if the demon feels sad, mad, happy, or whatever it is it is feeling, the reality in which we know will change accordingly. However, that is not the case. We continue to see and experience the same surroundings from day to day - from month to month and from year to year.

Say you are the demon and I am your imagination. My reality would constantly change. My surroundings would constantly change. I could be burning in the blazing desert one moment and the next, I could be freezing in the arctics. But since my surroundings do not change sporadically as they tend to remain fixed, I know there is constant and stability in my reality.

Explaining Descartes' philosophies is rather exhausting. To end this, I will simply tell you this. There are too many philosophers with too many philosophies and ideas which have made philosophy, as a whole, a complete mess.

No offense to you or any other philosophers, but this notion whether we exist or not is bordering on pettiness. You and I know we exist because we feel it. There is consistency in our reality. These philosophers who came along thought they can bring something new to the table which they did by questioning our reality, but in the end, they will have only undermined the work of prior philosophers.

It is good we challenge ideas and philosophies to better the community as depicted by the trials of Confucius and Socrates, but when we aim for ideas such as non-existence, that is when philosophy gets bizarre and loses much respect in the academic community.

I have studied music for many years. There was a revolution of new ideas for music which started sprouting in the 1940's and 50's. A man by the name of John Cage became famous for writing a piece entitled 4'33" (4 minutes and 33 seconds) in which no notes were played. Let me ask you. Is this genius or is this bizarre while bordering on stupid? The composer actually performed this piece in front of a live audience during a concert.

This is the kind of bologna I do not appreciate.

I hope you understand what I am getting at.

I'm sorry, but John Cage's experiment with 4'33" is not performance, it's pure existentialism, and his own ego being stroked. It's the equivalent of modern art where an artist puts a dollop of dog feces on a canvas and then proclaims it to be a work of art. Art, like anything else, is dictated by intelligence when determining it's worth. Clearly, art is the polar opposite of mathematics in it's ultimate purpose, but deep meaning is gained when not only the artist can express themselves thoroughly, but that the art he/she/they create, can be absorbed by the outside world in a real, non-superfluous way. Granted, art's worth is determined by the eye of the beholder, but anyone who agrees with the artistic merit of a dollop of crap is not seeing art, they are straining to appear elite amongst their peers.

I guess you misread me.
KungFuMaster
6/11/11 2:28:37PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Mini Essay question: If Hitler never came into power in Germany, what would have been different, if any, in Germany during pre and post WWII?

Germany was in such a dire state post WWI and great depression (Germany got hit arguably harder than the US did during the depression), that the only suitable answer was eventual communist takeover. The people were not interested in Western democracy, as they had never truly experienced this before. The time post WWI, was technically a democracy, but it wasn't well established, and the powers that be weren't able to settle the temperament of the people.

If you look at turn of the century Russia, they were in a similar situation as Germany, with a rising tide of pissed off peasants, wanting more from life. Germany was very pissed and desperate at this time too (hence the reason they backed Hiter), and since communism was a clear choice for the desperate proletariat, it's safe to assume communism would have over-taken Germany.

Definitely. Communism and Nazism would have still plagued Germany even if Hitler had not taken power.

Germany was devastated and humiliated by WWI. They were held responsible for restitution of the damages and war effort in WWI. Shunned from the rest of the world, Germany harbored much anger prior to WWII.

Whether or not Hitler came into power, it is my opinion Germany would have still adopted Nazism but not in the extremes we have witnessed in WWII.
KungFuMaster
6/11/11 2:35:45PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

How do we know Africa and North and South America were once a single land mass?

Because they fit together like puzzle pieces, and also based on our knowledge of plate tectonics. Pangea 4 LIFE!

Plate tectonics is a part of the answer but a more definitive and accurate answer is the solid proof of fossilized remains of the same species found in these separate continents.
KungFuMaster
6/11/11 2:50:00PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Definitely. Communism and Nazism would have still plagued Germany even if Hitler had not taken power.

Germany was devastated and humiliated by WWI. They were held responsible for restitution of the damages and war effort in WWI. Shunned from the rest of the world, Germany harbored much anger prior to WWII.

Whether or not Hitler came into power, it is my opinion Germany would have still adopted Nazism but not in the extremes we have witnessed in WWII.

Furthermore, anti-semitism was brooding in Germany and the rest of Europe as well - which did not help the prevention of the Holocaust. It was in-fact Poland who carried out most of the atrocities toward the Jewish people.
pmoney
6/11/11 3:09:59PM
Kung Fu Master - I am unsure of on-line availability of The Tao of Physics. However, the book as been around for I want to say at least three or four decades. I would recommend your local library or perhaps used book store. Even if you had to pay, I would say it's well worth the money. I can tell you would get a lot from it.

Pookie - I am with you 100% on the comprehension of the subject matter. I started getting in to the quantum physics at about 14, and it took me quite a while to grasp the concepts. That was, until I was about 16 and got The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

I know I referenced that book before. It really helped my comprehension because Greene writes for the lay person. For the subject matter, that's critical. He writes mostly in analogy for the sake of those who don't have a doctorate from Oxford in Mathematics. When I read that book (probably two or three times, lol), things finally started to fall in to place, like the missing puzzle piece had been found.

Physics changed my life! I had always been curious about space travel. Then, when I learned more, I found out
#1 - Using traditional methods, we cannot accelerate to the speed of light. It would take more energy than we can harness, as we get infinitely dense approaching the speed of light.
#2 - If we were to achieve light speed, we would cease to move in the dimension of time. Which equals omnipresence!!! Sweet
#3 - We are never getting off this rock, and never have. Forget the "moon landing", even if we could get out of here, where would we go? Sure, the Milky Way is cool (I guess), but space is measured in "light years", and everything outside our solar system is so insanely far away... pretty much, we're not going anywhere unless we can fold space.

Anyhow... now I am rambling! Lol I am glad I am at work and getting paid to type gibberish... Anyhow...... Good luck this afternoon, everyone!
BigBadAl
6/11/11 5:27:32PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

In the United States, when was British independence declared?

When the British decided it was time
BigBadAl
6/11/11 5:30:14PM
On the 'how do I know I exist' thing. Have any of you ever wondered if nobody else exists and only you do? Like everyone else you meet or see in your life is a figment of your imagination and just there to help you along your path of life?
warglory
6/11/11 8:04:27PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Nazism was Hitler's brainchild though, how would it have been conceived had Hitler not come to power? Furthermore, fascism is a Mussolini construct, who inspired Hitler to create the Nazi party. Communism, without fascist power to contend with, would have easily become the predominant force in the country.
KungFuMaster
6/12/11 2:33:35AM
LOL

I forgot what I lol to...
KungFuMaster
6/12/11 2:44:09AM

Posted by warglory

Nazism was Hitler's brainchild though, how would it have been conceived had Hitler not come to power? Furthermore, fascism is a Mussolini construct, who inspired Hitler to create the Nazi party. Communism, without fascist power to contend with, would have easily become the predominant force in the country.

Anti-Semtism was has been brooding in the 1800's long before Hitler came into power. The after shock of WWI catapulted the Jewish hate to an all time high. It is my believe Hitler was just the voice while Germany was well and ready for what was to come. Germany was desperate and vulnerable and in any case, any German official could have taken Germany down the same path as Hitler. The probability of a Nazi Germany would still be high even if Hitler never came into power in my opinion.
Pookie
6/12/11 3:14:30AM

Posted by BigBadAl

On the 'how do I know I exist' thing. Have any of you ever wondered if nobody else exists and only you do? Like everyone else you meet or see in your life is a figment of your imagination and just there to help you along your path of life?

Yup. .

I figure that in a way, we are all isolated from the rest of the world. Our "world" is a subjective one, and so it really only does exist for us individually. Interacting with outside stimuli and other people, really just helps you learn about yourself ultimately. So i think the things we come across in life are the things we're lucky enough to learn from along our paths.

Its really convoluted, but i think they're basically saying the same thing.
pmoney
6/12/11 11:13:52AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BigBadAl

Yup. .

I figure that in a way, we are all isolated from the rest of the world. Our "world" is a subjective one, and so it really only does exist for us individually. Interacting with outside stimuli and other people, really just helps you learn about yourself ultimately. So i think the things we come across in life are the things we're lucky enough to learn from along our paths.

Its really convoluted, but i think they're basically saying the same thing.

I am with you, guys! It's like your experience through your eyes changes the world.... and yet, we do all live on the same earth, in the same universe..... And somehow we are all able to shape the outcomes of events individually that affect a whole planet..

When I was a kid, I used to wonder if I was the center of the universe, haha. You only experience life through your eyes, so that brought a whole shitheap of existential questions to the forefront. "How do I know anyone is experiencing anything?", etc. I guess I had a God complex growing up, lol. I would always wonder if life was even real, or if we were existing in someone else's dreams, etc. Like some endless D&D game a nerdy God was controlling....

It's too early in the morning, my mind is still blown from UFC 131!
warglory
6/13/11 12:02:38AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by warglory

Anti-Semtism was has been brooding in the 1800's long before Hitler came into power. The after shock of WWI catapulted the Jewish hate to an all time high. It is my believe Hitler was just the voice while Germany was well and ready for what was to come. Germany was desperate and vulnerable and in any case, any German official could have taken Germany down the same path as Hitler. The probability of a Nazi Germany would still be high even if Hitler never came into power in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Fascism prior to Hitler was almost non-existent in Germany, in fact, Hitler wasn't very popular when he initially came to power. Anti-semitism was everywhere in Europe, but it was Hitler as the component that pushed Aryan ideology and the subsequent Holocaust.. Nazism is purely his brainchild, no one else's.
KungFuMaster
6/13/11 12:33:32AM

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by warglory

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Fascism prior to Hitler was almost non-existent in Germany, in fact, Hitler wasn't very popular when he initially came to power. Anti-semitism was everywhere in Europe, but it was Hitler as the component that pushed Aryan ideology and the subsequent Holocaust.. Nazism is purely his brainchild, no one else's.

When you come in and flat out tell me I am wrong, it is difficult to have a worthy discussion. I will hold on to my views as you do yours.
warglory
6/13/11 7:36:42AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by warglory

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by warglory

When you come in and flat out tell me I am wrong, it is difficult to have a worthy discussion. I will hold on to my views as you do yours.

And I wouldn't normally use such a word as demonstrated in every debate I've had on this board, but when you make the claim that Nazism would have carried on with or without Hitler at the helm, that is just too much of a leap for me to stomach. If you have research for me to look into to help support your claim, I'll gladly eat my words. This particular discussion is historical, and there is a very fine line between being wrong, and merely holding your personal viewpoint.
Pookie
6/13/11 9:47:23AM
Well my friend Sweet Jay took me to that video arcade in town, right, and they don't speak English there, so Jay got into a fight and he's all, "Hey quit hasslin' me cuz' I don't speak French" or whatever! And then the guy said something in Paris talk, and I'm like, "Just back off!" And they're all, "Get out!" And we're like, "Make me!" It was cool.
KungFuMaster
6/13/11 12:13:53PM

Posted by Pookie

Well my friend Sweet Jay took me to that video arcade in town, right, and they don't speak English there, so Jay got into a fight and he's all, "Hey quit hasslin' me cuz' I don't speak French" or whatever! And then the guy said something in Paris talk, and I'm like, "Just back off!" And they're all, "Get out!" And we're like, "Make me!" It was cool.

You are a genius. Many times confrontations occur due to misunderstandings and or simply lack of communication........

What we've got here is.....

.... failure to communicate.

Some men - you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last week....

...which is the way we wants...
...well, he gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALhwQKTRAgA
Pages: 1 2 [3]