Test your knowledge

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Test your knowledge
Next Page »
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 1:54:27AM
I will try to pose five questions every day for as long as I can. Please try your hardest to answer these questions with dignity.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 1:55:49AM
For every correct answer, I will give you a prop. Let the games begin.....
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 1:56:50AM
How much was George Washington paid for his role in the Revolutionary War?
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 1:57:53AM
How do you know you exists?
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 2:00:22AM
How does light travel and how far does it travel? Basically, tell me everything you know about light.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 2:04:07AM
Jeopardy style: In 1952, he wrote the musical piece in which no notes were played.

Bonus prop for also naming the title of the piece.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 2:05:55AM
What extincted animal gave rise to vertebrates?
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 2:09:16AM
Mini Essay worth 2 props: How do we know a meteor destroyed the dinosaurs?

LuckyCharms
5/25/11 3:35:10AM
Jeopardy style: In 1952, he wrote the musical piece in which no notes were played.

Answer: John Cage's 4'33 also the called "silent piece" due the fact that the performer plays nothing.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 10:48:40AM

Posted by LuckyCharms

Answer: John Cage's 4'33 also the called "silent piece" due the fact that the performer plays nothing.

Great Job.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 11:42:02AM
It does not hurt to guess, folks.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 11:43:43AM

Posted by LuckyCharms

I owe you another prop. The system only allows me to give one prop per person per day I guess.
emfleek
5/25/11 11:55:57AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I owe you another prop. The system only allows me to give one prop per person per day I guess.

Actually, you have to prop 10 people before you're able to prop someone again.
Budgellism
5/25/11 11:58:00AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

Didn't know it worked like that. Figured it was a much smaller number than 10.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 12:00:22PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

He may never receive his other prop then...
kopower
5/25/11 1:24:52PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

The Jawless Fish (class agnatha)
Pookie
5/25/11 1:48:14PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I know i exist, because i know you exist. Now, the definition of existence can be debated, just as the semantics of knowing can be debated, for all i really know... we could be in the matrix. But because i believe, it is.

Perspective is reality.
scoozna
5/25/11 2:48:03PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

How does light travel and how far does it travel? Basically, tell me everything you know about light.

Light has properties of both a particle and a wave. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

LuckyCharms
5/25/11 3:38:32PM
About the prop. Its cool, whenever you can or want to. I knew who was the artist from a music class I had to take in college but wasn't sure of the exact name of the piece. So I looked it up on google : D lol
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 4:18:19PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by KungFuMaster

The Jawless Fish (class agnatha)

No, but good educated guess.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 4:22:40PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

I know i exist, because i know you exist. Now, the definition of existence can be debated, just as the semantics of knowing can be debated, for all i really know... we could be in the matrix. But because i believe, it is.

Perspective is reality.

Good answer but it is not what I am looking for. The answer is a realization in ones mind and way of thinking. It is not anything substantial. But for giving an honest good try, I award you a prop.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 4:24:28PM

Posted by scoozna

Posted by KungFuMaster

Light has properties of both a particle and a wave. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

You will have to try harder than that for a prop.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 4:25:40PM

Posted by LuckyCharms

About the prop. Its cool, whenever you can or want to. I knew who was the artist from a music class I had to take in college but wasn't sure of the exact name of the piece. So I looked it up on google : D lol

As long as you learned something, that is what matters.
Pookie
5/25/11 4:31:34PM
I tend to believe that very few things can be proven objectively, and that none of the answers to the "Important" questions can be at all. Because of that i feel as though the subjective world is, in of itself, all that matters in answering these types of questions. And therefore i cant prove to another person that i exist, but i can know the answers internally. It's kind of similar to the concept of God in my mind. Simply by believing that something is, it is. Almost as if its the way we frame the world in our minds dictates how its percieved and remembered.
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 4:38:38PM

Posted by Pookie

I tend to believe that very few things can be proven objectively, and that none of the answers to the "Important" questions can be at all. Because of that i feel as though the subjective world is, in of itself, all that matters in answering these types of questions. And therefore i cant prove to another person that i exist, but i can know the answers internally. It's kind of similar to the concept of God in my mind. Simply by believing that something is, it is. Almost as if its the way we frame the world in our minds dictates how its percieved and remembered.

You are correct, in your way of thinking, when discussing proof and evidence regarding existence and existence of philosophical and or religious figures.

The answer will be posted tonight and it may not be as enlightening as you would prefer.
hotrodttt
5/25/11 5:52:34PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't think he was paid anything. I think I'm right
KungFuMaster
5/25/11 5:55:54PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't think he was paid anything. I think I'm right

The government intended to pay him when they asked him to be Commander of the Continental Army but he refused payment.
pmoney
5/25/11 6:44:14PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

(trying to answer with integrity and what little knowledge my high school diploma afforded me, not wikipedia)

The question, "Did a meteor kill the dinosaurs" is an often debated one. I suppose a meteor hitting the Earth is as plausible an explanation as any for the death of the dinosaurs, as well as one of the great extinctions.

There have been several impact sites throughout the Earth that have been pegged as where the dinosaur killing meteor could have hit. Apparently, there are uniformities in the layers of the earth's crust around the world that support a sediment/dust cloud hypothesis. The theory is that the force of the meteor impact was so great, that it shot sediment into the atmosphere so high and with such quantity, that a blanket enveloped the earth. That blanket prevented most of the sunlight to hit the earth's surface, causing life to eventually die.

Who knows what events could have followed the hypothetical impact to aid in the killing of life: Tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, or perhaps all of the above. A meteor impact on Earth is never a fun prospect to consider, or an event you'd like to be around for.

In the end, I feel we don't know what killed off the dinosaurs. We can speculate, sure. But then again, I feel all life is speculation. In my opinion, all things in life: Science, Math, Physics, Philosophy, History, are attempts by humanity to come to terms with this event called life. There is a time they hold true and are infallible. Then we come to find that they no longer work to our model of reality, and we mold them and come up with explanations to make them fit with our current understanding of life.

Newtonian physics was once considered the law of the physical land. It was for hundreds of years. Then Einstein came along with his "relativity", and showed a whole different dimension to our existence. One that tells us (in my interpretation), in physical law, that everything in life is subjective. Time, physical dimension, movement, life, everything is relative and experienced differently by every person alive.

Quantum physics tells us that our mere observation of things changes their outcome. The Bible says, "As a man thinketh, so he is." In the great eastern traditions, there is a saying to the affect of "Don't confuse the map for the territory". The Earth is the map, not the territory. How much we can truly know, I debate.

KungFuMaster
5/26/11 2:22:44AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by KungFuMaster

(trying to answer with integrity and what little knowledge my high school diploma afforded me, not wikipedia)

The question, "Did a meteor kill the dinosaurs" is an often debated one. I suppose a meteor hitting the Earth is as plausible an explanation as any for the death of the dinosaurs, as well as one of the great extinctions.

There have been several impact sites throughout the Earth that have been pegged as where the dinosaur killing meteor could have hit. Apparently, there are uniformities in the layers of the earth's crust around the world that support a sediment/dust cloud hypothesis. The theory is that the force of the meteor impact was so great, that it shot sediment into the atmosphere so high and with such quantity, that a blanket enveloped the earth. That blanket prevented most of the sunlight to hit the earth's surface, causing life to eventually die.

Who knows what events could have followed the hypothetical impact to aid in the killing of life: Tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, or perhaps all of the above. A meteor impact on Earth is never a fun prospect to consider, or an event you'd like to be around for.

In the end, I feel we don't know what killed off the dinosaurs. We can speculate, sure. But then again, I feel all life is speculation. In my opinion, all things in life: Science, Math, Physics, Philosophy, History, are attempts by humanity to come to terms with this event called life. There is a time they hold true and are infallible. Then we come to find that they no longer work to our model of reality, and we mold them and come up with explanations to make them fit with our current understanding of life.

Newtonian physics was once considered the law of the physical land. It was for hundreds of years. Then Einstein came along with his "relativity", and showed a whole different dimension to our existence. One that tells us (in my interpretation), in physical law, that everything in life is subjective. Time, physical dimension, movement, life, everything is relative and experienced differently by every person alive.

Quantum physics tells us that our mere observation of things changes their outcome. The Bible says, "As a man thinketh, so he is." In the great eastern traditions, there is a saying to the affect of "Don't confuse the map for the territory". The Earth is the map, not the territory. How much we can truly know, I debate.

Excellent response. The sediment layer you were referring to is iridium. Iridium does occur naturally on earth but not in great concentrations. We now know meteors have a great concentration of iridium.

A concentrated deposit of iridium was found consistently on a layer of the earth's crust which coincides with the same time period associated with the extinction of the dinosaurs.

We theorize the meteor's blast sent particles into the earth's atmosphere whereby it blocked much of the sun's light. Plants and plant eaters started dying off and soon the ripple effect reached the largest of all predators, the dinosaurs.
KungFuMaster
5/26/11 2:31:25AM
Pmoney, I owe you another prop. The system will not allow me to give you two props in a row. They are rationing the props I can give and the props I can receive.
Pages: [1] 2 3