Terry Etim to fight Edson Barboza at UFC 142

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Terry Etim to fight Edson Barboza at UFC 142
grappler0000
11/8/11 11:16:40AM
Terry Etim did not waste any time in defeating Eddie Faaloloto at UFC 138, and the UFC has been similarly rapid in arranging the Brit's next contest, sealing a bout with Edson Barboza at UFC 142.

Etim walked away with $70,000 after securing Submission of the Night inside 17 seconds against Faaloloto, sparking the instant question: Who next?

Before Etim's 19-month layoff the lightweight had been heading for a clash with Joe Lauzon, and that is the level to which he wants to return as soon as possible.

Barboza represents a thrilling test. Like Etim the Brazilian loves to strike, and he is currently 9-0 in his MMA career and 3-0 for the UFC. Two of those wins have earned Fights of the Night honours, and he is credited with some of the nastiest leg kicks in the UFC...

Full Story
kopower
11/8/11 11:39:08AM
Ohh, I like it. Should be an exciting fight. It will be interesting to see how Etim deals with Edson's leg kicks.
mattjonesy
11/8/11 11:39:47AM
Ouch! Etim gonna get hurt!
KaibaThedon
11/8/11 11:45:16AM
this is too big a step up for the cans that etim has been crushing
Theoutlaw08
11/8/11 11:53:21AM
This is gunna be a great fight. Both guys are high energy. Etim is pretty technical at times. I could see him taking it from Barboza.
Should be a stand up fight because both need to respect the submission game of the other fighter.
I like Etim to win this one in decision, scoring a lot with kicks
Twenty20Dollars
11/8/11 12:04:30PM
Good news is this will be a good fight.

Bad news is somebody has to lose.
FastKnockout
11/8/11 12:07:48PM
Hope Etim isn't too fond of his legs.
isk
11/8/11 12:31:55PM
I'm giving Etim a fair chance here based on his cardio, energy, and heart.

Barboza hits like a train at 155 partly because he's one of the bigger LWs in the dvision. That may also be why he's faded a bit in the 2nd round recently - against Njokuani and Pearson, both skilled strikers (arguably superior with their hands than Barboza as well) with good gas tanks who became more aggressive after the 1st round. I don't know if it's a pure cardio thing, whether the weight cut has been tough lately, or if it's another specific cause, but I think it's something to look for.

The smart money's on Barboza, but I like this fight because Etim asks questions that Barboza might not be able to answer.
Wallass
11/8/11 1:12:16PM
Etims overrated and I think people are forgetting about his losses to Dos Anjos and RICH CLEMENTI! Also, the 17 second victory is a testament to his opponent being a non UFC calibre fighter, not Etim being that great.
hashyandy4
11/8/11 1:23:21PM
I like this fight, but i think Edson take this one
Hendo67
11/8/11 3:02:15PM
Barboza is no Fal Falll fall o lol, give me a second here... Fallala

I'm done.
Budgellism
11/8/11 3:43:51PM
This just shows great match making on Joe Silva's part. I didn't even think about this match up, but it's awesome.
DrivenDavies15
11/8/11 7:28:33PM
Great fight for both guys, I can see Barboza being the favourite but I mean I could see Etim potentially winning this one. Good test for both guys
prozacnation1978
11/8/11 7:54:14PM
After a 19 month lay off and a 17 second sub
Good to see ufc throw etim another fight soon
Geoffo
11/8/11 7:56:19PM
Terry Etim is gon get smashed up up in these biatch.
tallica62
11/8/11 8:46:44PM
did anyone else hear etim speak after his fight? I literally thought he was speaking another language and I was waiting for a translator until I realized it was English....thats the thickest most absurd accent I've ever heard
Budgellism
11/8/11 9:14:07PM

Posted by tallica62

did anyone else hear etim speak after his fight? I literally thought he was speaking another language and I was waiting for a translator until I realized it was English....thats the thickest most absurd accent I've ever heard

Yup, him and Paul Kelly come to mind as two guys I would never want to be in a conversation with.
Bubbles
11/9/11 12:42:07PM
Barboza 3rd round TKO (leg kicks)
calitrees
11/9/11 6:35:08PM
ufc anounced Sam Stout vs Thiago Tavares for the same card they got the matchmaking wrong shoulda been Stout vs Barboza and Tavares vs Etim