Terry Etim added to UFC70

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Terry Etim added to UFC70
ffforgottenx
3/8/07 8:50:17AM
source: thefightnetwork.com

By Jim Burman (jim@thefightnetwork.com)

Undefeated lightweight Terry Etim (7-0) will put his record on the line April 21 when the Ultimate Fighting Championship makes its return to UK soil at the Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England.

An opponent for Etim has not been announced, while the Liverpool native is staying “mums” about who he might meet in the Octagon that night.

Signing a UFC contract with only six fights in two years is a bit of a whirlwind ascension and plenty of fans, including those in the UK, may not have seen Etim fight.

“I’ve got a stand- up background, muay Thai, but I’ve been working on my ground game as well,” describes Etim, 21.

However, six of Etim’s seven victories have come via submission. “Yeah, most people have only seen my ground game,” he quips.

With Terry still being relatively new to pro MMA, what has he done to raise his game for the UFC?

“As soon as I found out about the UFC I stepped my training up with it being such an opportunity. I’ve just been over to Brazil for six weeks training at RFT (Renevacao Fight Team) with Marcio ‘Cromado’ Barbosa. It was great training out there, training three times a day.”

“I just want to show off everything that I’ve been working on throughout all of my fights…Everyone wants to be in the UFC so I’m going to have to put it all together and show people what I’m about.”

As for fighting in the UFC and in Manchester too, only a short journey away from his native Liverpool? Etim echoes the sentiment of most other European fighters on the card.

“It means everything, it’s a dream come true. I think that it’s every fighter’s ambition to get into the UFC.”

--------------------------------------

here is his sherdog fight finder

looks like a good newcomer.. 7-0, including a win over sami berik, who just got signed by PRIDE and is supposed to be fighting hayato sakurai in the opening round of the LW GP.. ill be interested to see who they put him up against
Berti
3/8/07 5:12:41PM
ive heard of him before...wonder who he fights.
ffforgottenx
3/9/07 3:51:12PM

Posted by Berti

ive heard of him before...wonder who he fights.

wonder no longer my friend..

link

credit: thefightnetwork.com

After being tight-lipped about his opponent for April 21’s UFC 70 in Manchester, Terry Etim (6-0) has confirmed that his opponent will be American Matt ‘The Wolverine’ Grice. Grice comes into the match with a 9-0 streak and both fighters are putting their unbeaten records on the line.

As the saying goes, styles make fights, and Etim’s Thai boxing background and tight jiu-jitsu guard game looks set to play out against Grice’s wrestling. The Oklahoma native likes to finish quickly with only two of his wins going the distance.
Stickan
3/9/07 4:57:00PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

looks like a good newcomer.. 7-0, including a win over sami berik, who just got signed by PRIDE and is supposed to be fighting hayato sakurai in the opening round of the LW GP.. ill be interested to see who they put him up against

Yea but why did they sign Berik in the first place? I'm curious to see this guy though. Always nice to see european up and comers.
JimiMak
3/9/07 5:05:49PM
Haven't heard of him, but I can't wait to see him. I love that they seem to actually be behind building this LW division. They never had this kind of commitment to smaller fighters until recently.

WAR LIGHTWEIGHTS!
BloodandTears
3/9/07 7:52:37PM
ffforgotten - Man your on top of it yet again. Man where the heck do you find all this? You gotta have sherdog up non stop mate! I guess its time to update my card again. Thanks for the info. Props brother.
ffforgottenx
3/12/07 9:17:41AM

Posted by Stickan

Yea but why did they sign Berik in the first place? I'm curious to see this guy though. Always nice to see european up and comers.

ya know, im not sure really.. ive seen a few of his fights, hes an ok fighter, not great.. he was supposed to face gomi in the opening round until gomi lost to diaz.. im thinking its kind of one of those 'what if..' situations, where its nothing to sakurai if he beats this kid, but its huge if berik pulls off the upset.. which i dont give him any chance in hell of doing, but still.. if he was actually signed by PRIDE, he must be at least decent.. they havent signed any terrible terrible fighters in a while, and their lightweight division isnt exactly strapped for talent.. just my two cents
ffforgottenx
3/12/07 9:30:38AM

Posted by BloodandTears

ffforgotten - Man your on top of it yet again. Man where the heck do you find all this? You gotta have sherdog up non stop mate! I guess its time to update my card again. Thanks for the info. Props brother.

haha yea i have alot of free time on my hands at work at some points, and i have a rather large list of sources i check out that are usually updated daily as things come out..