Top Ten Toughest Chins in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Top Ten Toughest Chins in MMA
Next Page »
wolfman
5/19/08 7:22:39PM
Top Ten Toughest Chins in MMA

by RJ Clifford

We all know the fighters that can hit hard, but what about the guys on the receiving end? A strong chin is one of the greatest assets a fighter can have and one of the only assets no BJJ, wrestling or boxing class can teach. Getting hit a lot does not take you off this list. On the contrary if a fighter never gets hit, we never see his chin (see Anderson Silva). This is all about the fighters that take the punches, knees, kicks and stomps right to the brain, and yet somehow, they just won’t go to sleep.

Top Ten Toughest Chins!

flainthefacerh
5/19/08 7:25:54PM
leben has proved himself to have a strong chin.

except for when he fought silva
grappler0000
5/19/08 7:27:57PM
I'm actually surprised Sylvia didn't make the cut...he's been knocked down in a couple of matches, but I've never seen him rocked.
Jackelope
5/19/08 7:29:51PM
Wow, that's one of the more accurate top 10 lists I've seen.
juanez13
5/19/08 7:30:03PM
Mark Hunts Chin> Fujita's Chin IMO. the only reason i think fujita is ahead is because he has more fights in MMA, but if hunts k-1 fights counted as much he would have defenately taken it.

Honorable mentions: Don Frye and Rampage, chris leben, and Nakamura

Also JT should get an honorable Mention
wolfman
5/19/08 7:30:09PM
^ Yeah, that's a good point. Tim should be on there.
jiujitsufreak74
5/19/08 7:31:47PM

Posted by grappler0000

I'm actually surprised Sylvia didn't make the cut...he's been knocked down in a couple of matches, but I've never seen him rocked.

in the second AA fight he looked rocked, but was able to catch AA with a solid punch which bought him time to recover as he pounced on AA.
wolfman
5/19/08 7:34:42PM

Posted by juanez13

Mark Hunts Chin> Fujita's Chin IMO. the only reason i think fujita is ahead is because he has more fights in MMA, but if hunts k-1 fights counted as much he would have defenately taken it.

Don Frye and Rampage are some that come to mind, Shogun has a pretty good chin himself.

Yeah, I agree with that.
holt8081
5/19/08 7:38:09PM
why dident I see James Thompson on that list. Sorry JTWW I couldent pass it up.
SmileR
5/19/08 8:08:53PM

Posted by grappler0000

That was the first thing I thought when i read the list. Sylvia's took some bombs too and still hasn't been KO'd!

He deserves to be on it for surviving the shot Arlovski landed then to top it off he stood right back up and..... I'm not to sure what happened but i think Andrei tripped an the ref called the fight. Anyway thats not the point.
Sylvia has one hell of a chin!

Look!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
bls1919
5/19/08 8:20:44PM
For once i dont have a bitch about a top ten list. I thought it was spot on. I loved to see Gomi and horn get some love and the rest were easy calls.

EDIT: Not a bitch but an honorable mention. Vernon "TIGER" White. Jst watch the fight he had with chuck and you'll see.
candynuts
5/19/08 9:33:05PM
Hunt vs. Fujita can be debated. However I like the list and I usually give the nod to Fujita based on his fight with Wanderlei. Wanderlei gave Fujita one of the worst beatdowns i've seen and after the ref calls the fight Fujita stands back up and walks to his corner.. for me that was a jaw dropping moment to see Fujita immediately stand up after getting destroyed.
EON
5/19/08 9:55:13PM
10) Joachim Hansen
9) Nick Diaz
8) Lyoto Machida
7) Dan Henderson
6) Wesley Correira
5) Kazuyuki Fujita
4) Fedor Emelianenko
3) Antonio Nogueira
2) BJ Penn
1) Mark Hunt
Twenty20Dollars
5/19/08 10:14:46PM
but still sylvia has been rocked by AA and Couture!
SpiderSilva
5/19/08 10:17:10PM
What about Anderson Silva
grappler0000
5/19/08 10:19:01PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

but still sylvia has been rocked by AA and Couture!

0 TKO's or KO's is better than most of the fighters up there.
bigbubbano23
5/19/08 10:44:33PM
this was in a magazine recently which one was it. tapout or fight?
wolfman
5/19/08 11:16:59PM
^ TapouT
Manfred
5/20/08 12:18:00AM
Great list. I agree that A. Silva deserves mention but like the article said, it hasn't been as tested as the rest of the list. He's taken some hard shots though. (Lutter from the mount) and kept his cool.

HM to Rampage, Liddell and Tito too.

Tito's only been TKO'd, not even Chuck could take him completely out.

Chuck really hasn't even been rocked until the 2nd Rampage fight.

Rampage ate a ton of Wandy knees and smiled. He ate a ton more before he finally went down.
aaa9erh8er
5/20/08 1:10:01AM
thats tru rampage can take a beating but i think that list was about 98% as could as it could be im very clag with it good find
mrkennedy
5/20/08 10:55:57AM
what about rashad evans
IriShame
5/20/08 12:26:12PM
I gotta put Don Frye on this list but I can't in good concious take anybody off of it. Maybe make it a top 11 list. Just watch his fight with Yoshihiro Takayama.
Manfred
5/20/08 1:58:10PM

Posted by IriShame

I gotta put Don Frye on this list but I can't in good concious take anybody off of it. Maybe make it a top 11 list. Just watch his fight with Yoshihiro Takayama.

As much as I love Frye, the LeBanner or 3rd Goodridge fight take him out of the top 10 (or 11) IMO
Pitbull09
5/20/08 5:33:17PM

Posted by flainthefacerh

leben has proved himself to have a strong chin.

except for when he fought silva

True, I think Silva can be accepted as he kept throwing strikes after. He prob would be top 10 if terry martin didnt rock him (though he did get the KO)
Jackelope
5/20/08 7:03:17PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by IriShame

As much as I love Frye, the LeBanner or 3rd Goodridge fight take him out of the top 10 (or 11) IMO

Don't forget JT vs. Frye

Not saying Frye isn't the man... I love Tom Selleck in a fighter's guise, but I just don't see him being on this list
juanez13
5/21/08 6:33:25AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Manfred

Posted by IriShame

Don't forget JT vs. Frye

Not saying Frye isn't the man... I love Tom Selleck in a fighter's guise, but I just don't see him being on this list

If anything JT vs Frye shows how good a chin he has, he lost cus he got tired, and he didnt get KO'd, he just simply stood there and took the shots and at the end he turned around. agree though, frye shouldnt be in the top ten, more like a top 20.

Also sean sherk deserves a mention, those Knees he took from franca would have put most fighters out
5/22/08 5:46:17PM

Posted by juanez13

Honorable mentions: Don Frye and Rampage, chris leben, and Nakamura

Agree

Hunt's chin isn't human, you would have to run him over with a semi for him to be ko'ed.
gartface
5/22/08 11:18:00PM
I gotta give it to Mark Hunt, and Cabbage. Cabbage seems like he throws his head to block punches...haha.
I don't understand though why people are giving Chris Leben so much consideration...he was getting rocked big time in the Terry Martin fight, and if I recall right the Sakara fight as well. Not to mention being on the receiving end of a highlight reel KO by Silva.
cmill21
5/22/08 11:24:53PM
Nice list but Hunt should be #1. I also think Anderson, Tim, and Rampage could be on there. Good list though.
pv3Hpv3p
5/23/08 11:18:44AM
I gotta agree with all the folks that said Mark Hunt...

There are guys with good chins, and then there is Mark Hunt... Watching his K-1 fights, words just don't do justice in describing how hard that dudes head is...

As for Cabbage, I think after the brutal Tank KO, he hasn't really been the same.
Pages: [1] 2