Ten Days till Fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Ten Days till Fight
Roleheki
2/11/09 6:52:36PM
I'm fighting a guy in ten days who is about 3 months into muy thai. So my question is what can i expect to see from him. I dont really know anything bout muy thai besides it's alot of kicks elbows and knees. but that dont neceserily mean i know what he's going to do. i'm looking for a little more detail

my fighting background is BJJ, AND BOXING. i'm really into bjj

So im asking for advice what am i going to see and what is recommended on how to approach the fight.
seanfu
2/11/09 7:16:01PM
The answer varies. I'm no expert by far, but I'm at about his level of formal training.

If the guy does the regular traditional muay thai then he's going to throw and land a Lot of leg kicks. Muay Thai focuses on straight power punches and leg kicks.

So If you're a seasoned boxer you might be able to dip by a jab or straight right and end it before he throws a follow up leg kick.

If he hasn't had much time kicking previous to muay thai though, I wouldn't say he'd be super dangerous with the kicking though due to lack of coordination.

Muay Thai lacks good head movement when coming in (Generally) and the style usually means he'll be explosive as hell when he goes for a strike or combo. Thai guys usually don't use a ton of angles or footwork either aside from the occasional evasive move.

Hopefully you learned how to check a kick pretty well. I'm guessing you're an amature fighter, and if the no strikes to head of grounded oponents rule applies where you're fighting you might be able to pull guard with little risk.

You should mention more of your strengths.

These are not recomendations with the fight plan but merely food for thought.
Roleheki
2/11/09 7:32:25PM
my stregnths are BJJ. i'm good at americana, arm bars, rear naked choke, im good at changing up bjj positions. my punches sometimes arnt really expected i tried to read people and through different punches at different places of their body when doing combos.

i really dont know what to tell u hopefully this doesn't sound stupid like " nos hit eveyr fighter does that" lol

my weak points are kicking i try kicking all the time and i always hurt myself bad. im guessing most likely i miss contact from my shin and connect with my feet.

i dont know how to guard myself from kicks either. all i could do is guess.

he doesn't know i know alot about bjj

but he will be WAAAAAY more conditioned than i will be. although i will run my ass off to the best of my ability before then.

seanfu
2/11/09 7:46:23PM
Well, my thought as a general rule would be to pull guard and sweep, since he won't know **** in BJJ. Punching him in the face while he's scrambling to get off his back would definantly even the playing field in conditioning (if someone's not used to a position, especially thier back, they'll gas quickly).

If you can't sweep, a high guard might tire him too. If you can find where he's uncomfortable, you can win. But if it's a street fight, and I have a feeling it is, watch yourself off your back and be careful.

Aside from all of that I would say be cool and don't force a sub if this guy sucks at BJJ, as he struggles in position he'll leave all you need open. When he kicks, if you don't check you're dead. Ask someone to show you, a check is the difference between winning and keeling over in pain.

Once again, if you two are fighting non sanctioned be careful, and I wouldn't encourage it.

He's a gift wrapped opponent if you can get him down, if you can't check his kicks or get in close, you might end up having the pretty bow.
postman
2/11/09 8:08:40PM
If this guy only has 3 months of training in he shouldn't even be fighting I would take him down real hard causing panic and making him relize this was a bad idea and submit him or mount him and pound him out. 3 months with no ground training at all and your good BJJ there is no reason for this to be anywhere but the ground.
Svartorm
2/12/09 12:03:07AM
I'm getting the impression this isn't a sanctioned fight. While thats ok with me, you should really specify what you're asking after.
Mattchoo
2/12/09 12:04:23PM
With three months training, his standard is going to be very low if even that. Expect either a monsterous bum rush, fully equiped with chin up, no guard or a very jerky one after throwing a shot. So basicly no guard, also no footwork and i can garuantee you he's going to walk or run straight at you. Kicks if he throws them will be big over powered back leg kicks that you'l see coming.

Or, he will be extremely passive as he doesnt really know what to do in the situation. Shots again will most likely be telegraphed due to that alone with a herky jerky nervous guard. If thats the case, pressure will crack him, noone likes pressure. He'd then back off and try to circle out with no guard and leaning his head really far back as he doesnt fully know how to defend after 3 months.

Chin down, pick your shots and be patient. You'l get yourself a nice win!

Dont worry over it though, if you train for long enough up to a year is basicly a beginner.. Easy pickings. Go for it man!
The_Ho_Bag
2/12/09 10:09:08PM

Posted by postman

If this guy only has 3 months of training in he shouldn't even be fighting I would take him down real hard causing panic and making him relize this was a bad idea and submit him or mount him and pound him out. 3 months with no ground training at all and your good BJJ there is no reason for this to be anywhere but the ground.

toook me like 2 years before i got my first mma fight lmao
madmarck
2/17/09 11:05:57PM

Posted by Roleheki

I dont really know anything bout muy thai besides it's alot of kicks elbows and knees

Then you should really train them. And just a good idea for your next fight work hard on takedowns.
I find while many BJJ clubs work on takedowns they dont train for them nearly enough. A armbar isnt worth squat unless you can take a guy down, and keep him down.