how to tell a true ufc fan.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » how to tell a true ufc fan.
« Previous Page
Gkizi
7/21/07 2:16:34AM
To be a true UFC fan,you need to paint ''UFC '' in your head ,''Just Bleed'' in your chest and ''smile'' to the camera.Just like this guy :

LOL
Raiderz757
7/21/07 2:59:49AM
im a huge fan of ufc but i dont bother myself with remembering loads of names. knowing a bunch of names doesnt make u a fan. if u like the sport and support it, then ur a fan. in the process of watchin ull learn names and rules and all that stuff.
jomatty
7/21/07 4:40:21AM
to me the only thing that distinguishes a "good" fan from a "bad" fan is level of respect, not level of knowledge. as long as people are not booing every time the fight hits the ground, or constantly belittling the guys who are willing to put in on the line in a cage or ring, they are ok with me. just because someone dosent spend as much time as some of us learning about mma doesnt make them any less of a fan or mean that they are less entitled to enjoy the fights.
Kisame
7/21/07 4:45:20AM

Posted by Raiderz757

im a huge fan of ufc but i dont bother myself with remembering loads of names. knowing a bunch of names doesnt make u a fan. if u like the sport and support it, then ur a fan. in the process of watchin ull learn names and rules and all that stuff.

yeah unless you are diehard mma buff or just have a superb memory some of these lower ranked fighters from other countries names can escape you.

I do a relatively good job of remembering the no-names though.
zephead
7/21/07 8:49:50AM
True fans don't boo. True fans realize that these guys are putting it on the line like no other athletes.
xchickox
7/21/07 9:10:03AM

Posted by ZepHead

True fans don't boo. True fans realize that these guys are putting it on the line like no other athletes.

spot on there, nothing better than a good ground fight and when people start booing that shows they haven't got a clue
Rush
7/21/07 9:26:07AM
If you like watching MMA because you enjoy watching the fight, you are a fan. However, there are all sorts of fans. I'm just making these up as I go along.

Hardcore fan - people that want to watch anything MMA on a regular basis and go to great lengths to memorize as much stats as possible and collect as much paraphernalia as possible. This group usually encompasses the technical fan.

Casual fan - A person that likes to watch the main UFC and/or Pride events. They have some knowledge regarding the fighters and what goes on outside of the ring, but mostly just from what they saw on fight night.

Technical fan - A person that usually has been training in martial arts for some time and really only enjoys the technical aspect of MMA. This fan usually doesn't care who wins or loses, but just likes to watch a fight for the details of the fight. This fan commonly turns into the Casual/Hardcore fan.

Know it all fan - Commonly mistaken for the casual fan, but easily distinguishable when he/she doesn't stop talking during an event. The stuff coming out of a know it all fan's mouth might sound knowledgeable to a uninformed MMAer, but can easily be detected as bullshit by the hardcore fan.

Misguided fan - A person that watches MMA just because it violent. These fans are commonly seen drunk at UFC events, with "just bleed" painted on their chest and booing whenever a fight goes to the ground.

Wannabe fans that watch MMA to impress their friends or girls are not fans. Guys that watch MMA only to use it as a stepping stone to tell people how much of a street fighter they are, are not fans.
MMA
7/21/07 1:56:31PM
You don't really need to know every fighter's names or some obscure facts to be a fan. =\
tommyprairie
7/21/07 4:11:29PM
Naming fighters does not make you a fan. I think being able to talk about a fight that just happened intelligently makes you a knowledgable fan. Enjoying the fights that are a long gring (sherk v franca, couture v silva, Arlovski v Silva) makes you a true fan.
slapshot
7/21/07 4:57:45PM
My 2 cents, you can be a knowledgeable MMA/UFC fan and still be a complete moron.
Pitbull09
7/21/07 5:01:48PM
I could care less if ppl call themselves fans and dont know any fighters. The sport is very social as I always have a party for the ppvs and invite ppl who have no idea the fighters their watching. In the end, if you a "true fan" (if you want to call it that) the only thing you have an advange of is knowing how vaulable the fight is since you know the backstory and everything. Other than that, the fight is pure entertainment for anyone.
zephead
7/22/07 9:13:38AM
I'm a true MMA fan. Knowing all the fighter names, doesn't make you a true fan. Knowing all aspects of the fight game does. The misses doesn't know all the fighters names, but she knows the fight game. She's been watching the sport with me for all long time. She loves ground fighting. Her favorite fighter is Carlos Newton. Both of our favorite fight was the Lister/Flynn fight in KOTC. 2 rounds of nothing but serious transtitions until Lister caught Flynn in a ankle lock. My favorite part of that fight was that the crowd loved it. They went nuts the whole fight. Reversal after reversal. Submission try after try.

The thing I noticed is, a majority of UFC fans want to see 2 guys standing toe to toe, ala, Griffin/Bonnar. It's called MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). Which includes, wrestling, sambo and jui jitsu (ground fighting) boxing, kick boxing and judo (Stand up fighting). Understanding the ground game is the biggest thing that most UFC fans need to know

I'm just hoping it is a fad that is going on with the wanting of boxing in the UFC and MMA in general. Friday night I watched the IFO (International Fighting Org.) on HDNet (Wes Sims lost in the HW Championship fight) and everytime the fight hit the matt, there were boo's. That sucked.

For me to be a true fan of the UFC and MMA is to not boo or dog fighters and to understand ALL aspects of the fight game. To understand that Dean Lister is not going to stand toe to toe with Anderson Silva but will try to take the fight down. You fight to your strengths, not to your opponets.
tommyprairie
7/22/07 10:59:35AM
Zephead: I agree completely. Most fans do not understand the ground game, but in the defense of the boos it must be hard to see submissions and attempts to get past the guard in person. Trying to see through the cage or even being farther away.
charlieizu
7/22/07 1:16:41PM
only in America, the place where people argue over who is the biggest fan and who can remember the most fighters
Pages: 1 [2]