Teeth hurt after cardio

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Teeth hurt after cardio
Jackelope
8/30/07 5:32:25PM
For all the stuff I've learned about exercise I've still yet to find out exactly why sometimes after a hard cardio session my teeth hurt. On Yahoo answers I've seen that it can mean a vitamin deficiency of some sort, but while the answer was a good one it didn't exactly address why your teeth can hurt and exactly which vitamin/mineral, if any, is lacking.

Lately I've taken a big break from cardio because I just got out of the Army and I was sick of running 6 or 7 miles a day. So for the past few months I've just been swimming and lifting weights. Today I started doing cardio again and I decided to start by doing some sprints along with some ski jumpers over a line. I noticed after the sprints my teeth were hurting me pretty bad, but the pain subsided over time while I was doing the ski jumpers even though my heart rate stayed about the same. So is it just the force of air coming out of your lungsand hitting the back of your teeth during a sprint, or is it really a vitamin/mineral deficiency?

Oh, and by the way.. this only seems to happen when it's been a while since I've done cardio. When I got back from being in Iraq for 15 months and hadn't done sprints/running type cardio for a while it did it, too.
danny81
8/30/07 5:38:59PM
are you biting down? try doin it with a mouthgaurd. you mihgt be biting with out knowing it.
Mastodon2
8/30/07 6:49:32PM
The only thing I can think of is that it must be pain from the vasodilation taking place within your teeth.

As you probably know, during exercise, blood is rerouted to more urgent matters, when the CO2 output of muscles increases, and the the O2 demand goes up, blood vessals to organs like the stomach, liver, kidneys etc constrict (vasoconstriction). This happens in the mouth too, even though there is not a huge amount of blood to be gained by rerouting from here, every little helps. This is why your saliva becomes thick and stringy during exercise, due to less being produced, so more of it sits around in your mouth and you swallow less, and less water goes into it too.

After exercise, as the blood goes back to places that were receiving little supply it forces the blood vessals open again, even the ones inside your teeth. This pain you are feeling is most likely the nerves being recompressed as the blood vessals expand again.

I wouldn't look too much into a vitamin or mineral deficiency here, I simply can't see how that would affect these nerves. They are very sensitive after all, thats the same reason some people suffer almost intolerable pain when drinking cold drinks or eating ice cream.
Svartorm
8/30/07 9:07:30PM
Thats really odd. The only think I can think of is when I'm really dehydrated when I wake up, like if I've been drinking beer (not that I ever do that )or did cardio and didn't drink enough liquids before bed, I'll wake up and my teeth will hurt for a good hour until I've had something to drink and brushed them.

I don't think thats your deal as it sounds like its a rather sudden onset, but thats my best guess.
Rush
8/30/07 10:11:19PM

The only thing I can think of is angina. There are some occurrences of people with angina having toothaches.

Angina

However, I am not a medical doctor, but I would recommend that you see one. IMO, what you are experiencing is not normal.
LR
8/31/07 9:36:51AM
Do all your teeth hurt? Maybe you have some open cavities that are thumping due to the blood rush? Air coming into your mouth would make those spots sensitive as well.
Jackelope
8/31/07 2:37:53PM
Hmm.. thanks a lot for the replies, guys.

I don't have Angina, but thanks for that link.

It is only the back of my front teeth on the top row that hurt. I know I don't have cavities in them, (or at least, that's what the dentist says haha) so that can't be it.

I'd like to lean toward the blood returning to the teeth post that Mastodon left. It seems to make sense. I asked our EMT-Paramedic (I'm just an EMT-B) and she had no clue what it could be, either. I'll ask a doctor or something next time I find myself in the ER.

Thanks a lot, guys. I'll let you know if it's anything interesting
LR
8/31/07 2:48:46PM
Maybe you just have overly sensitive teeth. They wouldn't make Sensodyne if it wasn't a problem.