technical analysis of Werdum's victory over Fedor by Ryron and Rener Gracie

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » technical analysis of Werdum's victory over Fedor by Ryron and Rener Gracie
AchillesHeel
6/29/10 1:06:20PM
"Gracies analyze Fedor vs. Werdum" is fascinating stuff. I could post this in the "MMA Training" forum too, if we're allowed to cross-post.

It's interesting to see the effectiveness of a triangle choke. The guy who's taking Fedor's role in the demonstration actually had to tap out to his brother's "fake" choke (that is, I don't think he tapped to show us where Fedor tapped, as part of the demo, I think he actually needed his brother to let him go).
Jackelope
6/29/10 1:20:59PM
I'll just move this thread into the training forum. It will probably get more attention there than it would get here anyways. Well... we'll see
AchillesHeel
6/29/10 2:01:09PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'll just move this thread into the training forum. It will probably get more attention there than it would get here anyways. Well... we'll see

Yeah, I didn't put it in "MMA Training" because I thought it would be of greater interest to people who watch MMA but don't practice it, since this is probably something the folks who practice BJJ already know. But who knows..?
bjj1605
6/30/10 2:49:05AM
I almost find it insulting that they felt the need to break down a triangle choke.... I think MMA fans are past the "ON THE MAT WITH MARC LAIMON" days.
AchillesHeel
6/30/10 9:25:14AM

Posted by bjj1605

I almost find it insulting that they felt the need to break down a triangle choke.... I think MMA fans are past the "ON THE MAT WITH MARC LAIMON" days.

I don't.
bjj1605
6/30/10 6:49:26PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by bjj1605

I don't.

Good contribution.
Jackelope
6/30/10 7:55:39PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by bjj1605

I don't.

Good contribution.

BJJ1605 - Not everyone is trained. You gotta remember some of the fans of MMA aren't schooled in the martial aspects near as much as they just enjoy watching a good fight.

The video is probably quite revealing to some. To others it might be similar to reading a textbook from the 3rd grade all over again, but to others it's all brand new perspective and exciting. No need to get testy over an issue like this.
AchillesHeel
6/30/10 8:51:57PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by bjj1605

I don't.

Good contribution.

Eek. Your rapier wit wounds me. You want a longer response? Okey-dokey, then...

If everyone watching the Strikeforce event (or any other recent card) understood everything that they saw, this sport is up a creek without a paddle, because that means there are no new fans tuning in. If that's the case, the last one out should turn off the lights, because the party's over.

MMA is a complex sport. That, at least for me, is one of the things that makes it great. For fans, it's "easy to learn, difficult to master." (For the athletes, it's probably "difficult to learn, impossible to master"; but hey, if just anybody could do it, we probably wouldn't watch.) As a fan, I've been dabbling in martial arts for 30 years and watching "modern" MMA for about 6. The point is, I'm a more educated fan than some, less so than others, and I didn't know that little thing about how trying to back out of a triangle can sometimes set your elbow right back into an arm-bar position, forcing you to "come back to the party." Show me someone who claims to know everything about MMA, and I'll show you a douche-bag. Need a mirror?
bjj1605
7/7/10 1:59:54AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by bjj1605

I don't.

Good contribution.

Eek. Your rapier wit wounds me. You want a longer response? Okey-dokey, then...

If everyone watching the Strikeforce event (or any other recent card) understood everything that they saw, this sport is up a creek without a paddle, because that means there are no new fans tuning in. If that's the case, the last one out should turn off the lights, because the party's over.

MMA is a complex sport. That, at least for me, is one of the things that makes it great. For fans, it's "easy to learn, difficult to master." (For the athletes, it's probably "difficult to learn, impossible to master"; but hey, if just anybody could do it, we probably wouldn't watch.) As a fan, I've been dabbling in martial arts for 30 years and watching "modern" MMA for about 6. The point is, I'm a more educated fan than some, less so than others, and I didn't know that little thing about how trying to back out of a triangle can sometimes set your elbow right back into an arm-bar position, forcing you to "come back to the party." Show me someone who claims to know everything about MMA, and I'll show you a douche-bag. Need a mirror?

Chill dude. I understand what you're saying and I did add the "almost" in there. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment and I understand that there are plenty of guys out there who don't understand BJJ very well.

The "good contribution" thing was just poking fun at your first post. I wasn't sure if you meant you didn't find it insulting, or that you didn't think MMA fans were past the "on the mat with Marc Laimon" days, or both. I'm guessing you meant both.

Either way, sorry if I offended you. I didn't intend to.
AchillesHeel
7/7/10 12:33:19PM

Posted by bjj1605

The "good contribution" thing was just poking fun at your first post.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood, then.

Posted by bjj1605

I wasn't sure if you meant you didn't find it insulting, or that you didn't think MMA fans were past the "on the mat with Marc Laimon" days, or both. I'm guessing you meant both.

Mostly the latter, but yes, both.

Posted by bjj1605

Either way, sorry if I offended you. I didn't intend to.

No sweat.
Rush
7/12/10 10:15:17PM
Considering that a number of fighters themselves appear to lack certain basic skills, I tend to think that the fans think they know more than they actually do.