Teammates fighting? UFC prez says MacDonald just needs to look at GSP's bank account

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Teammates fighting? UFC prez says MacDonald just needs to look at GSP's bank account
Next Page »
FastKnockout
4/22/12 7:00:44PM
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and his training partner, UFC 145 winner and fast-rising prospect Rory MacDonald, both have publicly stated they won't fight each other.

We've heard that credo before, but UFC president Dana White thinks that could easily change in this case.

"I guarantee you if Rory looks looks at GSP's [expletive] bank account, he'll want to beat the [expletive] out of him," White said.

LINK
mattjonesy
4/22/12 7:34:51PM
This comes up time and time again. At the end of the day I agree with Dana its the fight game u should fight if it came to it.
The most popular camps are so big these days with all the top names in them Its pretty impossible for this situation not to arise at least once in a fighters career.
Twenty20Dollars
4/22/12 7:45:26PM
He'll want to beat the shet out of GSP b/c he's rich?

Winner takes all...their money?

What?

Huh?

sparky
4/22/12 7:49:04PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

He'll want to beat the shet out of GSP b/c he's rich?

Winner takes all...their money?

What?

Huh?

crushedbacon
4/22/12 9:46:02PM
Dana can be such a tool, there's more important shit in the world than making more money then you will ever need and helping the UFC do the same. As far as fighting friends.... I don't think 'true friends' would ever fight each other...No way Rory fights GSP... or JDS would ever have fought Nog if things played out that way and there was pressure to make it happen... The people that compare competing against a friend in MMA and competing against a friend in other sports, then casually play it off like it's the same thing baffle me...
DancingDoll
4/22/12 9:56:50PM
I appreciate that Dana is trying to stir up shit, and obviously he saw the big $$ draw of warring teammates and former friends with Jones and Evans.

Yes, it's a business, but come on - is nothing sacred? Does it all have to be about cut-throat disloyalty at any cost just to pad the bank account?

These guys are just not going to fight each other. It won't change.

If GSP rebound well from his injury rehab and keeps defending the belt successfully, then one of them will end up moving up to middleweight (probably Rory).

Not saying that teammates should never consider fighting each other, but when you're in a mentor/protege situation and really close friends, it doesn't make sense... there are plenty of ways to work the system without this kind of showdown and still make "shitloads of money"...
papercut
4/22/12 10:20:33PM
I can't believe people won't fight friends for titles. honestly, you work all the way up the division and just cause your buddy has the title you won't fight for it? that could be the dumbest thing I've heard. if that's is the case you'll never be able to make the claim that you are best in X weight class. is't that why you fight? to be the best? isn't that the point of any sport?
Shawn91111
4/22/12 10:44:14PM
You fight each other in sparring all the time, you go hard, spar hard. Come on stop with you can fight a teammate for a title. At the end of the day its business.
Manak
4/22/12 11:33:38PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_SZlJLaBR4

shogun vs wanderlei sparring.... yet they won't fight each other in the ring even though they go this hard in training. If you are helping a friend get ready for a fight as a sparring partner, are you not pushing him??? you don't get sparring partners if they are just gonna roll over. that won't help you prepare for fight. so they will go hard in a training but when there is a belt and a boat load of money it's a no go

I understand not fighting family but for me, I have no prb fighting a friend if I was a Pro athlete. Its not like its a drunk bar fight or you and your buddy actually get into an argument. you are a pro athlete in MMA. just fight and be like well that was one job now lets be grown ups and get over it. there is only bad blood between 2 friends that are pro athletes if they make it have bad blood. you are a pro athlete it comes with the job
george112
4/22/12 11:41:21PM
I'm on the side of fighting teammates.

The reason is so simple its amazing so many people disagree.

This is their JOB. If they don't like it do something else. It is so freaking simple
infestructure
4/23/12 12:04:19AM
I remember a fighter once said something along the lines of
"I don't want to have to tell my kids I could have been a UFC champion, but I let someone else take the spot, because he was my buddy"

I can't remember who said that, but it rings true for me. If I were in Rory's position, I would be distancing myself from GSP and training my striking. I have been a huge fan since he nearly beat Condit and even though I can't stand GSP, he is right when he says Rory is gonna be a champ.

Also whatever happened to his 'The Waterboy' nickname? 'Ares' sounds a bit tryhardish.
Bubbles
4/23/12 12:15:24AM
look at GSP's bank account? lets take a look at how much money he gets from sponsors and endorsements and shit. how heavily is GSP marketed...do you think Rory is able to be the face of the UFC? seriously Dana please think before you talk
bjj1605
4/23/12 12:20:27AM
I'd hate to be "that guy" (props if you know the reference) but anyone who's not a fighter (or at least a guy who trains with fighters) can't know what they'd do in this situation.

I don't mean to say "You can't comment on this because you're not a fighter." What I mean is...

You can't know what your own opinion would be in the same situation with out BEING in that situation.

A lot of these guys are very close friends. In some cases your very best friends in the whole wide world are your training partners.

There's guys at my gym that I would never fight. Then there's a few guys I would fight for free.

It's not "just business" though. There's a lot on the line in these fights that isn't on the line in a sparring situation. Money, reputation, the future of your career, injury...ect.

I agree that it can get out of hand. "We trained together one time five years ago, so we can't fight." But there are legit excuses here as well.

Bottom line: respect the fighters feelings on the issue.

If they're okay with fighting friends, everybody wins.

If they're not, respect their opinions. There's always other fights to be made.
infestructure
4/23/12 12:42:04AM
What if it gets in the way of determining the real champ? This is a sport is it not? You can fight friends and still be amiable toward each other.
george112
4/23/12 12:57:48AM

Posted by bjj1605

I'd hate to be "that guy" (props if you know the reference) but anyone who's not a fighter (or at least a guy who trains with fighters) can't know what they'd do in this situation.

I don't mean to say "You can't comment on this because you're not a fighter." What I mean is...

You can't know what your own opinion would be in the same situation with out BEING in that situation.

A lot of these guys are very close friends. In some cases your very best friends in the whole wide world are your training partners.

There's guys at my gym that I would never fight. Then there's a few guys I would fight for free.

It's not "just business" though. There's a lot on the line in these fights that isn't on the line in a sparring situation. Money, reputation, the future of your career, injury...ect.

I agree that it can get out of hand. "We trained together one time five years ago, so we can't fight." But there are legit excuses here as well.

Bottom line: respect the fighters feelings on the issue.

If they're okay with fighting friends, everybody wins.

If they're not, respect their opinions. There's always other fights to be made.

See I don't agree with this.

You could umbrella what you said about being "that guy" about ANY sport.

I'm not gonna play that team that my best friend is on because I don't want my team to beat his because its going to hurt his feelings.

If your friendship is really that strong you would be friends regardless of the outcome of the fight.
bjj1605
4/23/12 1:23:55AM

Posted by george112

I'm not gonna play that team that my best friend is on because I don't want my team to beat his because its going to hurt his feelings.

If your friendship is really that strong you would be friends regardless of the outcome of the fight.

I'm confused by the significance you're attaching to my "that guy" comment.

I just meant that I'm being the guy making the "arm chair quarterback" critique.

I get what you're saying though. I understand both sides.

But its easy for you to say that now.

If you were a fighter and you had to fight a close friend (with your careers and livelihoods on the line) you might think differently.
bjj1605
4/23/12 1:25:28AM

Posted by infestructure

What if it gets in the way of determining the real champ? This is a sport is it not? You can fight friends and still be amiable toward each other.

Again....

My point is that that's easier said then done.

There might be some people who are okay with it. Then again there are fighters who have a problem with it.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't judge either way. Leave up to the individuals who are affected by the decision the most (the fighters.)
george112
4/23/12 1:58:30AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by george112

I'm confused by the significance you're attaching to my "that guy" comment.

I just meant that I'm being the guy making the "arm chair quarterback" critique.

I get what you're saying though. I understand both sides.

But its easy for you to say that now.

If you were a fighter and you had to fight a close friend (with your careers and livelihoods on the line) you might think differently.

I get what your saying.
GSPCanada
4/23/12 2:22:04AM
Dana is brutal. I feel like despite all the help the fertita's have given him he would sell them out for more money if he could (i'm almost sure of it). These guys train together. where do they train in prep for a fight? do they both just move somewhere else for 3 months? How long did we talk about silva and machida for? does anyone care to see that fight. how bout kos and fitch for the title...irrelevant now. let macdonald fight a top 5 guy and win and if he ever does become the #1 contender then we can talk
DancingDoll
4/23/12 7:30:59AM
I'm a bit surprised by some of the posts.

I think some people forget the human element that factors into these people's careers. They aren't just fighting machines, powered solely by the bloodlust to win and make money at any cost. It would be easier that way, but it's not.

Rory moved across the country, leaving his family, his friends, his brother, and built-in support system behind. Montreal is amazing, but there is a cultural/social divide when you aren't native francophone, trust me. These guys become family, and when you train everyday with GSP, he becomes your mentor, and you become friends outside the gym, it's hard to conceptualize of just shrugging it all off and beating him unconscious to take his belt for the 'glory' of the win.

Sparring is a whole different thing. It's one thing to spar with a guy at a gym and another to go for broke in the octagon with a win and your reputation on the line.

There's plenty of guys at the gym or casual friends in the business that a fighter wouldn't have an issue taking on as an opponent if it came down to it. But every guy probably has one or two that would just be off-limits. In this case it's unfortunate that it happens to be two people that both want to wear the WW belt, but there are ways around it... so we'll see what happens as things go forward. It's still a ways off anyway.
Dberntson
4/23/12 9:11:55AM
I think teammates should fight each other only for a number one contenders fight or title fight. At the end of the day, all fighters have the same goal, to be world champions, and they shouldnt be held back because a teammate has the belt. Basically, if it is for a title, the contender should have to train at a different gym if they want to challenge the champ. If its a number one contender bout, I guess you go by seniority, whoever has been with the camp the longest should get to train there.

In wrestling, which is an individual and a team sport, wrestlers challenge their teammates every week with wrestle offs. The winner gets the starting spot. It didnt affect the team or relationships.

I dont think teammates should fight each other just to fill a card or for the fans.
george112
4/23/12 10:12:47AM

Posted by DancingDoll

I'm a bit surprised by some of the posts.

I think some people forget the human element that factors into these people's careers. They aren't just fighting machines, powered solely by the bloodlust to win and make money at any cost. It would be easier that way, but it's not.

Rory moved across the country, leaving his family, his friends, his brother, and built-in support system behind. Montreal is amazing, but there is a cultural/social divide when you aren't native francophone, trust me. These guys become family, and when you train everyday with GSP, he becomes your mentor, and you become friends outside the gym, it's hard to conceptualize of just shrugging it all off and beating him unconscious to take his belt for the 'glory' of the win.

Sparring is a whole different thing. It's one thing to spar with a guy at a gym and another to go for broke in the octagon with a win and your reputation on the line.

There's plenty of guys at the gym or casual friends in the business that a fighter wouldn't have an issue taking on as an opponent if it came down to it. But every guy probably has one or two that would just be off-limits. In this case it's unfortunate that it happens to be two people that both want to wear the WW belt, but there are ways around it... so we'll see what happens as things go forward. It's still a ways off anyway.

I get the human factor. I really do. But at the same time this is what these guys sign up for.

I agree with the above post about not fighting teammates to fill cards but imo for a championship (what I've been talking about) it should be different.

Best man comes out on top. They train to be champions. Well atleast that's what I'd like to think.

If your in the same weight division as your close teammate/friend and he was the champion in the organization before you were even there why even sign with them???

Sooner or later if you plan on being the champion you have to know your going to have to fight each other.

That's why I don't buy into the argument. These guys have to know sooner or later they will have to fight.

Whether for a championship OR a #1 contender spot
DancingDoll
4/23/12 10:26:49AM

Posted by george112

If your in the same weight division as your close teammate/friend and he was the champion in the organization before you were even there why even sign with them???

Sooner or later if you plan on being the champion you have to know your going to have to fight each other.

True in theory, but it's hard to turn down a massive opportunity to train with GSP at an elite gym at that stage in the game (at the time he moved to Montreal).

I think in this case, the assumption was that timing (age, experience etc) would allow things to play out so that Rory would peak around the time that GSP would be on the downswing, retiring or moving to a different weight class.

It sounds easier said than done to just have one of them switch to a different camp and coach to train if there was a match-up like that. Obviously Firas doesn't want to lose either of them.
State_Champ
4/23/12 10:30:36AM

Posted by george112

This is their JOB. If they don't like it do something else. It is so freaking simple

If the UFC don't like they can cut them. It is so freaking simple, right?
george112
4/23/12 10:34:18AM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by george112

Not sure where you went with that.

Are you being sarcastic?

OR

Are you saying that the UFC should cut them to solve the problem?
airkerma
4/23/12 10:39:10AM

Posted by george112

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by george112

Are you being sarcastic?

OR

I suspect he is drawing an analogy to show that it is not that simple...
george112
4/23/12 10:40:22AM

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by george112

True in theory, but it's hard to turn down a massive opportunity to train with GSP at an elite gym at that stage in the game (at the time he moved to Montreal).

I think in this case, the assumption was that timing (age, experience etc) would allow things to play out so that Rory would peak around the time that GSP would be on the downswing, retiring or moving to a different weight class.

It sounds easier said than done to just have one of them switch to a different camp and coach to train if there was a match-up like that. Obviously Firas doesn't want to lose either of them.

That makes sense.

The first thing I thought of was picking between the UFC or training with GSP.

Im not saying picking the UFC is the right decision but it certainly would make a little more sense. GSP isn't going anywhere as far as being available to train with goes. However at the same time the argument can be made to want to train while he is in his hay day.

Its unfortunate the way things turn out sometimes.

Like I said I wouldn't fight a friend for nothing.
george112
4/23/12 10:43:34AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by george112

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by george112

Are you being sarcastic?

OR

Well I never said the UFC needed to cut them. He did

Edit

I'm thinking he took my comment out of context.
Do something else as in find a way to not fight each other while not comprising an obvious needed matchup

Example championship fight. #1 contender fight
airkerma
4/23/12 10:57:06AM

Posted by george112

Posted by airkerma

Posted by george112

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by george112

Are you being sarcastic?

OR

Well I never said the UFC needed to cut them. He did

He doesn't want them to be cut. His analogy is that in some cases, it is as simple for them to fight each as it is for the UFC to just cut them. As others have explained, it may not be quite so simple with some fighters, who plainly will not fight each other. Cutting them, especially big names, would prove to be equally as challenging. The UFC would be foolish to do so, and the overall point is that there will be the unjumpable hurdles in matching people up once in a while.
KingCmb
4/23/12 11:19:56AM
if you fight the tite should be your number one goal no matter what its far more important than freindship imo
Pages: [1] 2