Teach me about American Football!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Teach me about American Football!
Next Page »
Stickan
10/18/07 12:58:50PM
A lot of stuff I'm interested in has to do with americans and american culture and after hearing all this talk about Packers, Cowboys, Giants, and some Romo guy I decided to learn what the hell you're talking about.
So since I havn't got any channel that airs NFL I decided to download the most recent matches.
What I basically know about american football:
They earn a lot of money in the NFL.
Michael Vick should be shot.
A Touchdown is a good thing and doesn't only mean that you can take a dump in the toilette without making a sploosh.
The Quarterback gets all the ladies.
Terrel Owens is a pretty decent bowler.

What do I need to know when watching american football?

What are the rules?, How many points do I get for a TD? What are the other ways to score? When are they allowed to kick the ball and why?
tuvok500
10/18/07 1:15:57PM
ok this is what i know

well, the best team is the PATRIOTS !!!!!!!

you have to be a PATRIOTS fans !!!!

if 2 game is at the same time, you have to watch the PATRIOTS game !!!!

the PATS are scoring touchdown witch give them 6 pts and you have to kick the ball between the 2 post to win another pts, or you can try to go in the endzone for 2 pts.

the best kicker is in the PATRIOTS team, and every times you are unable to score in 3 down, you can try a fieldgoal for 3 pts, same here , you have to kick the ball between the 2 post, but normally your are no very close.

the PATRIOTS are going to win the superbowl !!!

GO PATRIOTS !!!!! LOL

it seem very clear to me !!! LOL

DCRage
10/18/07 1:29:36PM
You can also score by Safety, which is tackling the ball carrier in their own end zone or if a player throws the ball out of the end zone to prevent a safety. It's worth 2 points. The real fun is in all the penalties, watching the refs do all these otherwise silly-looking gestures.

Alternately, you can just go to nfl.com and find out everything there.
szucconi
10/18/07 1:41:36PM
Sadly, american football is to complex to understand through text. If would take days and days to explain just the rules and the why that go along with the each rule. If you can't watch it then its hard to grasp. One game would advance your understanding by lightyears. Its to bad that NFL Europe folded because I think football is a great game. The best way to learn is to watch a game with someone who knows and ask questions. I have been helping a guy from Korea learn the game and he loves it. I hear that a lot of Germans love American football. You can find one of them, learn some german and cheer for the Redskins.
rcg916
10/18/07 1:52:12PM

Posted by tuvok500

are you serious ????

well, i am pretty sure it is a joke but anyway !!

Not everybody lives in America bro!

Stickan, you are from Sweden, arent you man?

Let me know if you want to learn more, I have some great historical stuff I could upload for you.
tuvok500
10/18/07 1:57:44PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by tuvok500

are you serious ????

well, i am pretty sure it is a joke but anyway !!

Not everybody lives in America bro!

Stickan, you are from Sweden, arent you man?

Let me know if you want to learn more, I have some great historical stuff I could upload for you.

i know man, i was joking, i am pretty sure that he will laugh like me when he will read my post, it is a 1 way patriots post !!!

do you really believe that he will get mad !!! ????

loonytnt
10/18/07 2:13:19PM
well the american team is the cowboys
Branwest
10/18/07 2:48:14PM
Like the post above said, it's too hard to explain through text.
Touchdown = 6 points plus you get a PAT (point after touchdown) which is where the kicker tries to kick the ball through the uprights for 1 more point.
Field goals = 3 points: kicking the ball through the uprights
Safety = 2 points
There are 11 ppl from each team on the field.
11 on offense, 11 on defense.
the center "snaps" the ball to the quarterback
the Quarterback usually either throws to a reciever, running back or tailback, or he hands it off usually to the running back, sometimes to another eligible runner
Yet get 4 "downs" to try and get a "first down"
A "first down" is 10 yards
Usually, if you don't get a first down on three tries, you then punt the ball (kick it to the other team)
You need to buy a book on football. They probably make a book called "Football for Dummmies" or "The Idiots Guide to Football"
Don't pay attention to the name of these books, if they make them, they will explain the game very well.
Usually a person roots/supports a team that is close to where they live.
I like the Cincinatti Bengals (who are horrible this year). Each team usually has at least one or two "starts" (big-time players) The bengals have Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinqo), T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Carson Palmer, Rudy Johnson, and convict (oops, I mean Chris Henry)
The best team this year is by and far the New England Patriots, with the Indianapolis Colts probably being second.
The AFC is much better than the NFC (kind of like the AL in baseball is better than the NL, or the SEC is better than any other conference in college football)

If you start watching, and you learn all the rules, you'll fall in love with the game of football. I love pro and college football and try to go to at least one game a year. I go to the Bengals training camp every year and have met most of the players including all the stars- C.J., Palmer, T.J., Henry, Rudy, etc., including the cheerleaders). It's a great sport.........Enjoy
Stickan
10/18/07 3:09:57PM
Thanks for all the replies and yes I'm Swedish. That's why I know about as much about american football as most of you know about...let's say Sweden.
"uuh Abba...eh.. Ace of Base....IKEA... Peter Forsberg's from there right?... oh and you got polar bears as pets right?"

Thanks again all you guys. I'm watching the Cowboys - Patriots game right now and I'll get back to you if I wonder something.

btw. The endzone is where you score the touchdowns right? But if you tackle a guy in the endzone trying to score a touchdown you get 2 "safety" pts?
And if you score a touchdown you also get the chance to score a field goal? From what distance are these "bonus" kicks?
tuvok500
10/18/07 3:36:01PM

Posted by Stickan

Thanks for all the replies and yes I'm Swedish. That's why I know about as much about american football as most of you know about...let's say Sweden.
"uuh Abba...eh.. Ace of Base....IKEA... Peter Forsberg's from there right?... oh and you got polar bears as pets right?"

Thanks again all you guys. I'm watching the Cowboys - Patriots game right now and I'll get back to you if I wonder something.

btw. The endzone is where you score the touchdowns right? But if you tackle a guy in the endzone trying to score a touchdown you get 2 "safety" pts?
And if you score a touchdown you also get the chance to score a field goal? From what distance are these "bonus" kicks?

well, if you tackle a guy in your endzone, well the guy is scoring a touchdown and he get 6 pts + the chance to score 1pts with a fieldgoal, or 2 pts win anothers entering in your endzone by a pass or a run.

so if a guy is crossing the plate of your endzone , he is scoring against you.

if you tackle a guy in his endzone, you get a safety so 2 pts and the other team have to kick the ball to your team and you will have your offence on the field again to try to score again.

babalu2720
10/18/07 3:38:36PM
Well as a Bruins fan I pay my respect to our longtime Swede P.J. Axellson and yes the Patriots are the shit
scoozna
10/18/07 4:53:00PM

Posted by Stickan

How's Bjorn Borg these days? Just kidding.

If you get tackled in your "own" endzone it is a safety (the endzone you are moving away from).

The bonus kick after a touchdown is not really called a "field goal", but rather, an "extra point"
Rush
10/18/07 4:55:12PM

Posted by tuvok500

GO PATRIOTS !!!!! LOL

Shouldn't you be cheering for the Alouettes in the CFL? lol
tuvok500
10/18/07 5:04:41PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by tuvok500

GO PATRIOTS !!!!! LOL

Shouldn't you be cheering for the Alouettes in the CFL? lol

LOL !!

well, the alouettes are in quebec but it is not even close to the NFL caliber, and also , i dislike the 3 down rule, it is almost a battle of kicker only and the field is so ridiculously big that the endzone is bigger than the parking i think !!!

i am not even looking at there game , i think this season they have big problem with the quarterback.

nubby
10/18/07 6:14:39PM
Hey don't watch baseball. It will bore you to frickin death. By the way, I love your cheese. Swiss Cheese ******* roxors my boxors.
Chudly
10/18/07 6:17:58PM
PITTSBURGH STEELERS is the only team you need to watch ( a real mans team )
iwannabesedated
10/18/07 6:47:57PM

Posted by Chudly

Took the words right out of my mouth...Just like the Steelers are going to smack the taste out of the Patriots mouth on Dec.9th

Reebok has a special offer buy an Patriots Jersey get a free autographed Bill Belicheck Spy Cam.
SpiderSilva
10/18/07 6:50:28PM
Hey dont be a PATS fan they all gloat about wining and most people are just on the band wagon witch is fine but all I have to say is they better hope the BRONCOS don't make the playoffs because no matter how good the PATS are the BRONCOS own them every time the play end of story look up the history in the end DENVER stoped the 3peat and can stop them this year even in New England doesn't matter GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah Randy Moss last time I checked Champ has been shuting him down for years he would get shut down just like Marvin Harrison
babalu2720
10/18/07 7:02:17PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by Chudly

Took the words right out of my mouth...Just like the Steelers are going to smack the taste out of the Patriots mouth on Dec.9th

Reebok has a special offer buy an Patriots Jersey get a free autographed Bill Belicheck Spy Cam.

Wow real creative, let your game do the talkin, I don't see why ur so confident we are absolutely on fire and Willie Parker is strugglin, and if you wanna have a shootout with us there is no way you will win
Sam_Rothstein
10/19/07 12:23:39AM
well one cool thing about American Football is the awesome hits

heres a video of NFL star Reggie Bush getting clobbered by A Philadelphia Defensive player

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8SSEvQQEMPc
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/19/07 12:40:03AM
Hehe you freakin' rock Stickan... but really the Montreal Canadians (NHL) is really the team to root for lol... GO HABS GO!!!!
Sam_Rothstein
10/19/07 12:44:55AM

Posted by Stickan

A lot of stuff I'm interested in has to do with americans and american culture and after hearing all this talk about Packers, Cowboys, Giants, and some Romo guy I decided to learn what the hell you're talking about.
So since I havn't got any channel that airs NFL I decided to download the most recent matches.
What I basically know about american football:
They earn a lot of money in the NFL.
Michael Vick should be shot.
A Touchdown is a good thing and doesn't only mean that you can take a dump in the toilette without making a sploosh.
The Quarterback gets all the ladies.
Terrel Owens is a pretty decent bowler.

What do I need to know when watching american football?

What are the rules?, How many points do I get for a TD? What are the other ways to score? When are they allowed to kick the ball and why?

Okay there are 11 players on offense, and 11 players on defense.

You get 6 points for a touchdown and the choice of either an extra point (where you kick the ball in through the goal post) or you can try a 2 point conversion to get back into the end zone. You get one try at either the extra point or the 2 point conversion if you miss you get no extra points just the original 6

You can pass for a touchdown, which is when the quarterback (Romo is a quarterback) throws the ball to an eligable reciever. Only certain players are allowed to catch the ball on offense, anyone on the defense can try and catch the ball instead though and if they do it is called an interception which leads to the ball being turned over to the defense

If you do not think you can make the touchdown you can also choose to kick the ball through the goal post for 3 points, if it misses you get no points

If you are backed into your own End Zone then the other team gets 2 points and you must kick the ball to them and allow them to try and score

At the beginning of the game the two teams flip a coin to see who gets to either kick or recieve the ball

The person who recieves the ball at the beginning of the game kicks the ball to the other team automatically at the beginning of the 2nd half

The offense has 4 plays to either Gain a first down, score a touchdown, kick a field goal, or kick the ball back to the other team

A first down is reached when you gain 10 yards, from where you started 1st down.

The ball carrier can run untill he is tackled down

If he loses the ball it is a fumble and the defense recovers the ball

the only time you really want to kick the ball is either to score 3 points if you are in the range to kick it, or to kick it to the other team so that way they have further to go

i hope this helps
rcg916
10/19/07 12:51:02AM
Got some stuff coming your way in a little bit Stickan!
Rich78
10/19/07 5:17:02AM
I found that the best way to learn all about American football was simply to get one of the Madden games for my playstation, you'll soon pick it up!
Djbb
10/19/07 5:21:27AM
The easiest way to learn about football is by listening to John Madden. You don't even have to watch the actual game. You'll also learn Bret Favre is the best quarterback in NFL history, and playing in the mud makes the field slippery.
Mastodon2
10/19/07 7:25:25AM
I'm either getting the Alternate Chicago Bears jersey or the Alternate Rams Jersey for Christmas

I'm picking Jerseys based on the look here, I don't really support any team since Im from the UK, though I imagine I will find an affiliation when I start watching and understanding the game more.
TNunley
10/19/07 9:10:30AM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Oh my god man... I'm in tears... props
Stickan
10/19/07 9:50:11AM

Posted by nubby

By the way, I love your cheese. Swiss Cheese ******* roxors my boxors.

You're kidding me right?
TNunley
10/19/07 9:55:06AM
Stickan... since you're from Sweden... I had a question.

Is your army (Swiss Army) a bunch of Navy Seal type special forces, sleep in the snowy mountains for months at a time with nothing but a canteen and a toothbrush? 'Cause I gotta say... those Swiss Army Knives have everything... Then again... why the hell have the cork screw? They take bottles of wine into the wilderness often?
cowcatcher
10/19/07 10:25:20AM

Posted by Djbb

The easiest way to learn about football is by listening to John Madden. You don't even have to watch the actual game. You'll also learn Bret Favre is the best quarterback in NFL history, and playing in the mud makes the field slippery.

madden is right about favre, maybe the only thing hes right about anymore. im just glad he doesnt do the sweat race he used to do with the cowboys when nte newton was playing......*shudder*
Pages: [1] 2