Tavares Will Fight Wiman at UFC 85

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tavares Will Fight Wiman at UFC 85
grappler0000
3/12/08 7:36:43AM
Thiago Tavares will face Matt Wiman at UFC 85 on June 7 in London, Sherdog.com has learned.

"My manager, Alex Davis, just confirmed this fight," Tavares told Sherdog.com. "I am very happy with the choice of this opponent because he is a tough guy who is coming off three wins in a row, and I think we will make a great fight for the public. I like to face those tougher guys, and I thought this is a great opportunity."

Tavares is in Rio de Janeiro training for the fight at the Minotauro team training center.

Link
Twenty20Dollars
3/12/08 7:55:37AM
I think Wiman will take this fight if it stays standing. I like both guys but wiman might pull this victory out. Unless tavares improved alot since his last fight.
CornishMMA
3/12/08 8:07:59AM
They both have those recent UD wins over Omigawa so im calling a draw

Definate prelim then, should be a good fight tho as Wiman fights hard, Tavares did against Tyson but less so in his last fight, UD either way as i cant see Wiman getting subbed by him or Thiago KO'd by him
grappler0000
3/12/08 8:38:25AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Definate prelim then, should be a good fight tho as Wiman fights hard, Tavares did against Tyson but less so in his last fight, UD either way as i cant see Wiman getting subbed by him or Thiago KO'd by him

I agree Tavares didn't look so good in his last performance...but if he fights like he did in his first two appearances in the Octagon, Wiman will get annihilated.
babytater03
3/12/08 11:01:22AM
I like Wiman in this fight. But will probably go to UD or Split.
FantasyFighter
3/12/08 11:34:34AM
I have to disagree with the majority of you. I wouldnt want to be the guy who had to fight a Tavares who is looking to prove something coming off what he knows was a lackluster performance. I think it will be a great feat if Wiman can make it the distance in this one. Thiago should be all over him. I see this as an under-achieving, over-hyped fighter (Wiman) against a young fighter with loads of talent and potential looking to prove he belongs (Tavares).

Good luck Wiman!
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/12/08 12:10:38PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by CornishMMA

I agree Tavares didn't look so good in his last performance...but if he fights like he did in his first two appearances in the Octagon, Wiman will get annihilated.

true that, i got Tavares by whatever he wants
Cladrix
3/12/08 2:17:25PM

Posted by FantasyFighter

I have to disagree with the majority of you. I wouldnt want to be the guy who had to fight a Tavares who is looking to prove something coming off what he knows was a lackluster performance. I think it will be a great feat if Wiman can make it the distance in this one. Thiago should be all over him. I see this as an under-achieving, over-hyped fighter (Wiman) against a young fighter with loads of talent and potential looking to prove he belongs (Tavares).

Good luck Wiman!

Amen to that
NatedawgThaM
3/12/08 2:23:55PM
He should have fought him last fight night, but instead we got one of the most boring fights I've ever seen. With all that said, I think this will be a good fight, TT 2nd round sub.
whardin19
3/12/08 2:43:31PM
I think Tavares will take Wiman down and dominate him on the ground. He's going to want to prove something after his horrible last fight. Although I have been moderately impressed with Wiman lately.
ufc88
3/12/08 2:59:47PM
Tavares is going to make a huge statement i truely think hes a top 10 lightweight
coldchillin
3/12/08 3:42:36PM
Tavares by 1st or 2nd round submission or a very lopsided decision. Wiman just doesn't have the skillset to match-up with Tavares and if the fight hits the ground Wiman will get submitted.
quezocrema0032
3/12/08 5:09:26PM
I Think tavares takes it UD but wiman isnt gona get rolled over wiman is a tough guy kind of upset were not gona see this 1 =/
candynuts
3/15/08 12:24:19AM
Matt "Watt Miman" Wiman is gonna have a tough test against Tavares. Tavares had a bit of a lack luster fight against Omigawa, but we eaily wom.
Im taking Tavares UD.
saemskin
3/15/08 11:59:39AM
Tavares is one of those very young very talented BJJ fighters that we're seeing alot of. I dont think Wiman has the ground game to match Tavares's intensity. The guy is an animal and will climb all over wiman until he grabs a limb and twists!
RMFG_187
3/17/08 4:26:29AM
ever since Tavares's loss, he aint the same. his fight with Omigawa, was embarrassing. i mean, he subbed Black with ease, and was at 100% the entire fight, and he was also the aggressor. but Omigawa, who is a way lesser opponent than Black, gave him trouble. my pick is Wiman with a hard first Round KO.

Handsome is just one of the great things coming outta that TUF season.