Tanner vs. Okami Official; Koscheck vs. Hazelett Un-Televised at UFC 82

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tanner vs. Okami Official; Koscheck vs. Hazelett Un-Televised at UFC 82
juanez13
1/25/08 6:09:16PM
After weeks of speculation, a UFC 82 middleweight bout between Evan Tanner and Yushin Okami is now official. Additionally, the UFC today revealed that a welterweight bout between “The Ultimate Fighter 1” standout Josh Koscheck (9-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Cincinnati-based fighter Dustin Hazelett (10-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) will appear on the event’s un-televised preliminary card.

News of the Tanner vs. Okami has been reported — and re-reported — for the past month. However, Tanner’s camp couldn’t confirm the bout to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), and a source close to the UFC told us that UFC executives were “extremely pissed” that news of the fight got out in the first place.

In the interview, Tanner also revealed that the UFC had an extremely difficult time finding him an opponent. The bout was offered to four fighters — all of whom turned it down. The UFC eventually booked Okami, a middleweight contender who’s 5-1 in the UFC. He signed a new contract with the UFC after his most recent fight: a UFC 77 unanimous-decision victory over Jason MacDonald.

LINK
Kpro
1/25/08 6:12:36PM
WAR TANNER!
Boo_Radley21
1/25/08 6:15:39PM

Posted by Kpro

WAR TANNER!

word
nickcuc547
1/25/08 6:33:45PM
good kos is boring as f*ck, id rather see a more exciting fight with two lesser known fighters.
Manak
1/25/08 6:48:05PM
damm ufc 82 is gonna be awsome
stock
1/25/08 7:05:13PM
I am curious what 4 fighters turned down the fight.
tuvok500
1/25/08 7:06:13PM
I still believe that Okami will beat Tanner.

Okami UD

ThaAxeMurderer7
1/25/08 7:27:56PM
Is it just me or does anybody else find it odd that Koscheck's fight with Hazelett is getting bumped to the prelims but Diego's fight isnt? Just doesnt make much sense to me...
Boo_Radley21
1/25/08 8:05:33PM
Good question. I guess people like Diego more than they like Kos
quezocrema0032
1/25/08 8:13:58PM
i dont wanna see deigo fight ... id prefer seeing kos vs hazlet cuz that one has mroe title implications ... and diegos really doesnt ... but hey ... i think they just did it cuz they dont wanna have 2 many decsions on the card ... which i belive there will be
DevonFoxy
1/25/08 8:47:35PM
Very sad about the Kos fight being moved to under card. I don't think that is very fair to Kos seeing he just went 3 rounds with the current WW champion. Pretty disrespectful.

Kos is boring to some but if you know about wrestling and are a fan of it i find his fights actually very entertaining. Mebbe its just me though.

Bad fight for Tanner imo and Okami takes it by UD. He'll be too strong for Tanner in my mind.
juanez13
1/25/08 9:07:09PM

Posted by DevonFoxy
Bad fight for Tanner imo and Okami takes it by UD. He'll be too strong for Tanner in my mind.

yea and i am curious to see how tanner does after the long lay-off, although i belive okami will win this, with a good gameplan tanner could take this fight......for example how many people have tried to take okami down?? seems like everyone just wants to sprwl and keep it standing, which clearly hasnt worked very well for most, maybe make a gameplan like GSP did with Kos, take him out of his element which is being on top, and put him on his back and control him...its defenately a possibility.....a gameplan like this i think would also work very well against an opponent like sean sherk, who is used to being on top, just watch the GSP fight.
xburbx
1/25/08 10:38:36PM
I like Tanner, but he is going to be too old school. Okami will own him. Tanner will lose and then get one more televised fight and then fade away again. I cant believe Kos is not televised. Going from GSP to untelevised is quite a jump.
nickcuc547
1/25/08 11:23:43PM

Posted by tuvok500

I still believe that Okami will beat Tanner.

Okami UD

i agree, okami is a rock
nickcuc547
1/25/08 11:25:01PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Is it just me or does anybody else find it odd that Koscheck's fight with Hazelett is getting bumped to the prelims but Diego's fight isnt? Just doesnt make much sense to me...

diego is still a much more popular fighter then koscheck, he is more exciting and more people want to see him fight, plus he's more marketable.
NatedawgThaM
1/25/08 11:25:35PM
Wait, there going to show a Guaranteed LNP 3 Round decision in the Okami-Tanner fight but not televise the Kos-Hazellet fight which there more of a chance to be some stand up? Kos is improving his stand up game and is becoming an MMA fighter. Hazalett is very good with a long limb'd body with good striking but great submissions.

It's a bad comeback fight for Tanner and I'm a little disappointed. But I think Anderson-Hendo will make up for it!
MMAcca
1/26/08 3:39:07AM
Tanner's taken a tough fight for his return IMO and Okami will be too much for him.

Okami's strength and power will be too much for Tanner after so long away and i see it being a pretty one-sided UD
silverbullet
1/26/08 7:54:20AM
It's bullshit about Koscheck being bumped to the undercard
CornishMMA
1/26/08 11:03:26AM

Posted by silverbullet

It's bullshit about Koscheck being bumped to the undercard

Damn straight it is! Like it or not Kos is for real and a top contender, GSP couldnt finish him! This fight is very intriging as well cos Dustin has earned a fight like this and i think he has a good chance to sub Kos with those lanky legs, i will be gutted if it is a good fight like im 99% sure it will be but doesnt get shown!

Good news about Tanner tho, Okami is going down with the best comeback figth ever! WAR TANNER
prozacnation1978
1/26/08 11:36:51AM
right now the 5 main card are
silva vs hendo
fitch vs wilson
kongo vs herring
tanner vs okami
and arlovski vs o'brien

that is a stacked card
i don't even know what the co main event is tanner vs okami or kongo vs herring or arlovski vs o'brien
but i am glad with rapid fire, this and feb card the big guys heavyweights are starting to fight it out
ThaAxeMurderer7
1/26/08 10:16:27PM
Damn, so the Koscheck vs. Hazelett fight and the Diego fight are both off the main card. The fans in Cincy are gonna get one hell of a show!