Tanner VS Okami - WHO WINS AND HOW?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Tanner VS Okami - WHO WINS AND HOW?
POLL: WHO WINS AND HOW?
TANNER KO/TKO 19% (13)
OKAMI KO/TKO 7% (5)
TANNER SUBMISSION 12% (8)
OKAMI SUBMISSION 1% (1)
TANNER DECISION 9% (6)
OKAMI DECISION 51% (34)
CornishMMA
2/22/08 7:42:50AM
I find this pick so damn tricky!

Evan is just an unknown quantity, who knows what kind of shape he is???

Okami is a similar unknown quantity due to how he fights, he fights so passively i dont see it being beyond the realms of possibilty that he loses the first 2 rounds then turns it up in the 3rd, but if he cant finish Evan then he may lose a UD?

Thoughts?
ufcboss
2/22/08 8:45:56AM
This should be a good up and down fight with both guys having their moments, But I think Okami will hang in there and pull a SD.

If this wasn't Tanner's 1st fight in a while, I would pick him, I will be rooting for him to KO Okami anyways!
JuggaloWarrior878
2/22/08 12:29:19PM
this ones hard to predict tanner usually weathers an early storm than comes back and romps but okami doesnt really have an earlly storm. ill go with tanner ud 29-28 possibly losin the third round.
mikevolz
2/22/08 2:33:54PM
i would bet my children's college fund on okami
hathcock32
2/22/08 3:07:45PM
I think is Evan is agressive he can take this fight TKO. He needs to get after Okami, make him work right away, not let him sit back and get comfortable which seems to happen every fight. I believe the time to get Okami is early on. I think if Evan comes out throwing some bombs then looking for the takedown he can be successful. I see him either dropping Okami early and following up with some ground and pound or it being a very close decision. The longer the fight goes the fight sways to Okami's favor IMO. Been a while since Evan has been in the Octagon, im sure his conditioning will be ok, but will be be ready for a 3 round battle.
zephead
2/22/08 3:08:03PM
I think Tanner will sub him. I'm a fan of Tanner. I love his "lunch pail" demeanor. Tanner comes to fight. He might not be pretty, but he gives his all.
stock
2/22/08 4:50:13PM
In his prime, I am picking Tanner 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

However, I think strength will really come into play here. Okami is known for great strength and leverage, and I see Okami being in top position most of the fight, and think Okami will be able to avoid submissions.

I believe Tanner may be better on his feet, but I don't see Okami standing and trading. Tanner's best chance of winning this will be to go for a takedown himself to try to get top position and use his terrific GnP elbows.

Due to the overall strength issue and ring rust on Tanner's part, I am going with Okami by Unanimous decision.
Pookie
2/22/08 4:53:15PM
Okami, too many if's concerning tanner.

i think its going to be a lopsided 30-27 beating(or laying).
pv3Hpv3p
2/22/08 5:08:24PM
evan Tanner by Triangle Choke RD1... this is gonna be like a 3 min fight...

Okami get's the TD... Thinks he's going to muscle his way to a decision like usual... All of the sudden.... tap tap tap... AND IT"S ALL OVER!
bls1919
2/23/08 12:04:12AM
It's Tanner by GnP or Tanner by clinch to knee to Okami's face KO IMO
NatedawgThaM
2/23/08 5:45:55AM

Posted by hathcock32

I think is Evan is agressive he can take this fight TKO. He needs to get after Okami, make him work right away, not let him sit back and get comfortable which seems to happen every fight. I believe the time to get Okami is early on. I think if Evan comes out throwing some bombs then looking for the takedown he can be successful. I see him either dropping Okami early and following up with some ground and pound or it being a very close decision. The longer the fight goes the fight sways to Okami's favor IMO. Been a while since Evan has been in the Octagon, im sure his conditioning will be ok, but will be be ready for a 3 round battle.

Tanner will have to finish him QUICK and I mean QUICK to win. He 's going to have to catch him with a bomb early or get the takedown and stop him quick.

But here's a little fun fact that everybody picking Tanner by sub should know...Okami has NEVER been submitted!!! And he has faced a few better grapplers then then Tanner IMO.

Tanner is a ground fighter pure and simple. It's the only way he wins and that's where Yushin controls the fight from beginning to end. Tanner looks in shape but Yushin is determined to rematch Anderson sometime soon. Yushin is too big so IMO I got to say the safe choice is Yushin by LNP decision. But last year proved nobodies a sure win so Evan could pull a Serra but I highly doubt it...
tberg420
2/23/08 12:53:05PM
Tanner's clinch game is going to be the deciding factor in this fight. Okami might dominate the first 2 rounds of the fight but Tanner will pull off the upset and score a TKO in the 3rd Round.
sonicsmokesweed
2/24/08 6:02:47AM
Okami by boring decision
Dastardly1
2/24/08 3:04:59PM
I'll take Tanner by Dec. My biggest concern will be wondering how tender his face is or has gotten. He has been cut badly in most of his recent fights.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Mayhem13
2/24/08 6:28:35PM
I think Okami will lose the first round possibly, but then outwork Tanner in the last 2. Winning by UD.

like someone else in here said...if this wasnt Tanners comeback fight, I may pick him....but Okami isnt really someone you want to jump in with after having along layoff
sammyd1213
2/24/08 8:07:35PM
tough fight to call... I like Okamis strength and believe that he will finish a rusty Evan Tanner...
CornishMMA
2/25/08 1:39:55PM

Posted by mikevolz

i would bet my children's college fund on okami

LOL your $0 bankroll suggests not everything goes the way you think, you did the same thing with Sylvia and he didnt win so maybe think again bud, tho you did say "would" which is good

tbh im shocked that 28 people think Okami by decision, i just dont see it, i think he can win in the 3rd round like he often does but to win a decision he needs to win rds1 or 2 and Tanner aint letting him do that! Ok he did it with Swick but Swick was a tiny MW and Evan is a big MW, he isnt getting taken down easily and not before doing some damage in the clinch

For the pure 50/50ness of this fight im likely going to pick and wager on different guys so i win either way
CornishMMA
2/28/08 5:43:42AM
TTT
CornishMMA
2/28/08 9:31:56AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

But here's a little fun fact that everybody picking Tanner by sub should know...Okami has NEVER been submitted!!!

Nice but ive got a better one for all the people picking Okami by decision Tanner has NEVER been decisioned!!! In fact in his 38 fights he has only gone to the judges 3 times and got the nod each time

Evan fights so furiously i dont see him lasting 3 rounds, he will either TKO Okami or be GnP'ed
chuteboxe75
2/28/08 10:15:28AM
Tough fight to call. My heart says Tanner by late TKO or split decision. My head says Okami, just because we have not seen what Tanner has to offer in a couple fo years. We'll see on Saturday.