Tanner vs. Grove tapped for TUF7 Finale main event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tanner vs. Grove tapped for TUF7 Finale main event
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/21/08 9:39:08AM
Former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner (32-7 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 3" middleweight winner Kendall Grove (8-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC), two fighters coming off disappointing losses, will meet in the main event of "The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs. Team Jackson's" live finale.

The event takes place June 21 at The Palms Las Vegas and airs on Spike TV.

The UFC confirmed the Tanner vs. Grove fight over the weekend. The news conflicts an earlier report that a Diego Sanchez vs. Luigi Fioravanti fight would headline the event.http://mmajunkie.com/news/4181/tanner-vs-grove-tapped-for-tuf7-finale-main-event.mma
IriShame
4/21/08 10:46:43AM
I still don't understand this matchup. It reminds me of one of those old WWF "loser retires" matches. I think the winner moves on to fight The Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania. I mean come on, give Tanner a break and let him fight a can. Unless, Grove is the can. But that's a whole other thread.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/21/08 11:10:30AM

Posted by IriShame

I still don't understand this matchup. It reminds me of one of those old WWF "loser retires" matches. I think the winner moves on to fight The Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania. I mean come on, give Tanner a break and let him fight a can. Unless, Grove is the can. But that's a whole other thread.

i think grove is the can for tanner, bc tanner has proven he can beat top competition (albeit wasnt recent) and if he loses, he pretty much shouldnt be in ufc anymore. if grove wins, i still think he needs another win to prove himself worthy to be in ufc.

if this fight blows, they are both gone IMO
Vendetta
4/21/08 11:33:19AM
That really isn't a very good main event...
Twenty20Dollars
4/21/08 12:44:18PM
yeah this isnt main event material, the diego fight was bigger because diego is a bigger name than these two right now
rabbit915
4/21/08 1:55:24PM
Not only is this not a main event, it shouldnt even be on the televised card. What is the UFC thinking?
wrona666
4/21/08 2:16:18PM

Posted by rabbit915

Not only is this not a main event, it shouldnt even be on the televised card. What is the UFC thinking?

I Agree....most casual fans these days probably dont even know who Evan Tanner is.....
whardin19
4/21/08 2:54:07PM
I can't get excited for this fight. Both guys haven't looked good in a fight for awhile, and there making it the Main Event over Sanchez fight? What are they thinking? Doesn't make much sense to me. As for the winner of the fight, I think it's going to be Tanner. After this fight I think Groves UFC career is done.
Kpro
4/21/08 3:44:13PM
Evan Tanner is one of my favorite fighters; based on their last fights (not level of talent each possesses)I have to agree this is a unique choice for a main event.

Could be a blessing in disguise though, when Tanner finishes Grove in front of millions of potential new fans.

WAR TANNER!
silverbullet
4/21/08 3:44:16PM
I really want Tanner to win this one in a convincing fashion, but I'm afraid that Grove will get KTFOed.
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 6:50:33PM
sad thing is i believe tickets went of sale already but i might be wrong, but anyways so what happened to the diego match up?? moved to july or even aug maybe?? there were to many vets fighting on the tuf card, i like watching the up and comers display their skills and get rewarded fighting live on tv. just stick to the concept
disorderlyvision
4/21/08 6:52:58PM

Posted by silverbullet

I really want Tanner to win this one in a convincing fashion, but I'm afraid that Grove will get KTFOed.

i dont follow your logic? wouldn't grove getting knocked out be a convincing fashion type of win for tanner
quezocrema0032
4/21/08 10:44:57PM
i deff think this is a bigger main event then diego favoriti if ur a common fan and u hear this season 1 winner diego sanchez battles ufc heavy hitter fiorrvatti or former world champ evan tanner returns 2 the octagon 2 take on season 3 winner grove its just a more competitive match up
rabbit915
4/21/08 11:37:16PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

i deff think this is a bigger main event then diego favoriti if ur a common fan and u hear this season 1 winner diego sanchez battles ufc heavy hitter fiorrvatti or former world champ evan tanner returns 2 the octagon 2 take on season 3 winner grove its just a more competitive match up

Except Diego is top 10 and Luigi is a solid opponent and Tanner is coming of a loss following a big hiatus and Kendall is coming off 2 straight losses and is on the verge of losing his contract.
Cdellorso
4/23/08 9:27:30PM
Not Main event worthy- Not even close- too much pushing of the mediocre TUF fighters. I was excited about Bisbing VS Leban though.
therionace
4/24/08 2:57:16PM
the winner stays in the ufc, and the loser is out, imo.