Tanner - Must I Believe?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Tanner - Must I Believe?
DustinT
2/28/08 2:17:37PM
grrrrrr....

too often with making my picks on here, i'm faced with the heart over head decision. In the beginning on the site here, i tended to go with my choice fighters, while knowing their chances aren't as good as I might believe. I've recently learned to follow my head and feel like an ass for going against "my" fighter, to gain the points. We know the points are what it all comes down to.

Tanner vs Okami is a classic example of one of these matches.

I can't help but has this dirty feeling in me if I go with Okami.
I would love nothing more than to see Tanner finish this.

*sigh*

it hurts my head.
decisions, decisions.
heart vs head.
CornishMMA
2/28/08 2:24:35PM
Im in the same boat

But i think im worse off cos i have a mixture of head/heart for Tanner so i really should go for him but then i think about ring rust and how good Okami is at winning so i think i will have to for Okami with picks and maybe wager a bit on Tanner and hope wins so i win either way somewhat
DustinT
2/28/08 2:40:02PM
yeah i'm thinkin' the exact thing, but maybe vice versa.
problem is, i need to work on both my picks AND my wagers. They aren't exactly top notch right now.

it's funny cuz since I've started the fantasy league, i tend to pick apart the fights far more than i used to. It's a fine science really....and when watching the fights, i get alot more excited when they actually hit. I've been a quiet casual watcher for years but i'm fastly becoming " that loud guy " at the bar.
i blame the site.
*nod*
jiujitsufreak74
2/28/08 3:00:48PM
ok guys, i hope i can help out a bit. i have no affiliation for tanner or okami either way. i believe that i am an objective observer of this fight and i think i can shed some light onto a logical perspective. for starters, as cornish mentioned, ring rust is a factor. now you can use ricardo almeida as an example that refutes this, but remember he faced yundt who is not at the level of okami by any means. okami is the bigger stronger fighter in this fight. rich franklin had problems dealing with his strength, anderson silva had problems dealing with his strength and his power advantage was one of the reasons mike swick dropped down to WW. okami is just a very powerful MW who can score a takedown and work his game-plan effectively. however, tanner is known to be very resourceful off of his back (i am assuming that okami will definitely score at least on takedown on this fight). okami has to be very careful with how he positions himself or he will get caught in a slick submission. the only thing is, okami is an experienced mixed martial artist and is well versed enough in submissions not to fall into anything stupid (has never been submitted). also, tanner might not be as slick as we remember because it has been almost 2 years since he last fought and lets face it the guy isn't getting any younger at 37. i think that striking wise both aren't top notch by any means and the striking aspect of this match is very interesting to me because i don't know who to give it to. tanner socres most of his KOs from GnP and okami is very hard to KO via GnP. i just feel that in this fight it will be a ground war in terms of wrestling and control. . this will be a fight where positionig on the ground will be key and i think okami has that advantage. so, logically, i believe that okami will win this battle of wrestling and wind up with the UD victory. just my view on this
MALICE
2/28/08 7:02:42PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

ok guys, i hope i can help out a bit. i have no affiliation for tanner or okami either way. i believe that i am an objective observer of this fight and i think i can shed some light onto a logical perspective. for starters, as cornish mentioned, ring rust is a factor. now you can use ricardo almeida as an example that refutes this, but remember he faced yundt who is not at the level of okami by any means. okami is the bigger stronger fighter in this fight. rich franklin had problems dealing with his strength, anderson silva had problems dealing with his strength and his power advantage was one of the reasons mike swick dropped down to WW. okami is just a very powerful MW who can score a takedown and work his game-plan effectively. however, tanner is known to be very resourceful off of his back (i am assuming that okami will definitely score at least on takedown on this fight). okami has to be very careful with how he positions himself or he will get caught in a slick submission. the only thing is, okami is an experienced mixed martial artist and is well versed enough in submissions not to fall into anything stupid (has never been submitted). also, tanner might not be as slick as we remember because it has been almost 2 years since he last fought and lets face it the guy isn't getting any younger at 37. i think that striking wise both aren't top notch by any means and the striking aspect of this match is very interesting to me because i don't know who to give it to. tanner socres most of his KOs from GnP and okami is very hard to KO via GnP. i just feel that in this fight it will be a ground war in terms of wrestling and control. . this will be a fight where positionig on the ground will be key and i think okami has that advantage. so, logically, i believe that okami will win this battle of wrestling and wind up with the UD victory. just my view on this

Top Notch Breakdown.

Hells Yeah!!
DustinT
2/28/08 8:10:16PM
so we're assuming that Okami will be the FIRST to decision Tanner?
i guess i'm having a having a hard time rollin' with that.
MALICE
2/28/08 8:12:49PM
I may switch my pick over to Okami, but if I do and he loses I am laying all of the blame on JJFreak!
jiujitsufreak74
2/29/08 2:40:31AM

Posted by xxMALICExx

I may switch my pick over to Okami, but if I do and he loses I am laying all of the blame on JJFreak!

i'm up for the blame
*crosses fingers for Okami*

and yes i do believe Okami will be the first to take tanner to a Decision not in his favor. just stylistically i think this is the most probable outcome. now, i am not always 100% right, i mean my record isn't 100%, but most of the fights i lost were due to heart over brain picks while my logical picks seem to be right most of the time. i hope this one is no exception.
Kpro
2/29/08 4:38:52AM

Posted by DustinT

Excellent point.

It seems to be a given among keyboard warriors that Okami can be the first to Decision Tanner, yet it's not possible for Tanner to be the first to Submit Okami?

Hmmmm
jiujitsufreak74
2/29/08 5:25:03AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by DustinT

Excellent point.

It seems to be a given among keyboard warriors that Okami can be the first to Decision Tanner, yet it's not possible for Tanner to be the first to Submit Okami?

Hmmmm

well that is certainly a possibility...but it is more probable that okami takes tanner to a decision then it is that tanner submits okami. now, again i could be wrong but imo it makes more sense to pick okami to win then tanner.
CornishMMA
2/29/08 6:29:29AM
Hey did you guys already know of the Tanner no decision loss stat? I only realised it when i was looking at his record yesterday

All i can say on that is that theres a 1st time for everything sadly, but so often Okami has hardly fought for the first 2 rounds and if he does that he can lose a UD, but now im thinking he wont have to fight that hard, i can see Okami counter punching on Tanner like Franklin did in their 2nd fight, and if Evan clinches he is in serious danger of getting taken down

My head is starting to rule and i think im going with Okami with pick+wager - but i HOPE im wrong and will be cheering for Evan big time, if he gets on top he will be GnPing so furiously he will win but sadly thats pretty much his only chance to win (barring Okami falling into a triangle which i dont see as very likely at all sadly Kpro).

Funny that this fight is similar to the main event, Tanner is like Silva and Okami is like Hendo when it comes to the clinch. Its ALL ABOUT THE CLINCH boys!
jiujitsufreak74
3/2/08 3:00:17AM
well i guess i was right...at least about the outcome. i hope you give out gratitude just as easy as you give out blame

the whole striking aspect was the thing that i was uncertain about and nevertheless it was the thing that changed the fight. tanner looked out of place in that fight and Okami realized he had an advantage on the feet. this variable was unknown thus i didn't bother on relying that both would stand since the evidence pointed to a ground war. either way i got the win stat and am happy i didn't disappoint
DustinT
3/2/08 5:23:11AM
i wanted to cry for tanner.
i'm following dodgeball from now on.
this season is done for me. i suck.
billymonstar
3/2/08 6:28:53AM
I was put in the same predicament with Hendo vs A.Silva :(

I love both fighters, I would say equally, but the tough part about this pick was the fact that it' possibly could have gone either way. I went with Silva of course, but I was rooting for Henderson.

Some people look at as a win-win situation, though I'm quite softhearted and pessimistic, I hate to see 'my' guy lose even in the face of a good pick. I'm guessing you're the same as me.

Anyways I got on front page tonight, #2 top earner yay.

Broke into #6 for the season, my points are lacking though.