Tank to replace Sapp this weekend.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Tank to replace Sapp this weekend.
JoeMimic
4/19/07 6:01:44PM
Tank Abbott will be replacing Bob Sapp on this weekends Cage Rage card; Sapp won't be fighting due to personal reasons. For more information visit your local MMA news website.
pv3Hpv3p
4/19/07 6:32:01PM
that's a shame, I was really hoping to be able to marvel in Bob's technically outstanding striking ability, and be wowwed by his unbelievable 'NFL' style, lol...

In all reality, that's a pretty tough fight for Tank to take on short notice... I think he'll get KO'd in the first, butterbean throws some pretty heavy leather...
JoeMimic
4/19/07 6:55:17PM
He's not fighting Butterbean; that's in June. He's fighting Gary Turner.
D-Boy
4/19/07 7:11:29PM

Posted by JoeMimic

He's not fighting Butterbean; that's in June. He's fighting Gary Turner.

Who also throws some heavy leather
ac_gi
4/19/07 11:43:21PM
The only fighter more overrated than Sapp, is Tank.
hippysmacker
4/20/07 1:52:15AM

Posted by ac_gi

The only fighter more overrated than Sapp, is Tank.

I don't Think Tank is great, just exciting. To me he's like watching the hockey highlight's on sportscenter. I only watch to see something crazy happen
ac_gi
4/20/07 2:13:33AM
A fun fight would be Tank vs. Sapp or Butterbean.
Svartorm
4/20/07 2:58:57AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p
In all reality, that's a pretty tough fight for Tank to take on short notice...

Why? He doesn't train for fights anyways.
hippysmacker
4/20/07 3:07:15AM

Posted by ac_gi

A fun fight would be Tank vs. Sapp or Butterbean.

Tank is supposed to be fighting Butterbean at the K-1 US show . theres a good discussion on it here

http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic1308-1.html
nate22
4/20/07 4:44:10AM
I was looking forward to seeing Sapp in Cage Rage, but at the same time i'm alot more happier that Gary has a more suitable opponent, one who he should be able to put on an impressive performance against, rather than be mauled by 360bs.

Turner was reluctant to take Sapp to the ground due to his overwhelming size but now with him fighting Tank we should get to see how good the K1 strikers grappling really is, he has been doing it for a long time and says that he's pretty accomplished. Mr Turner isn't the type to lie so can't wait to see how he performs against Tank.

pv3Hpv3p
4/20/07 11:07:26AM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by pv3Hpv3p
In all reality, that's a pretty tough fight for Tank to take on short notice...

Why? He doesn't train for fights anyways.

Ya, ya, ya... He's got to do a little something... I think?... Maybe?...

No, I got it... It's all in his mental preparation... Dave's a scholar
johnafirth
4/20/07 7:29:40PM
Turner should take this one.
richieb19
4/20/07 8:18:24PM
Looks like Tank weighed in at 293...
Svartorm
4/20/07 9:30:12PM
WOW! Thats the worst shape hes ever been in. I don't know this Turner guy, but if he has half a gameplan, he should be able to destroy Tank.
D-Boy
4/20/07 10:07:33PM

Posted by Svartorm

WOW! Thats the worst shape hes ever been in. I don't know this Turner guy, but if he has half a gameplan, he should be able to destroy Tank.

He's a K1 fighter and has a background in Judo and BJJ, technically he doesn't really need a gameplan with Tank in that Shape. Plus mentally his opponent just got about 100lbs smaller so he should feel more relaxed
Svartorm
4/20/07 10:17:02PM
Hey, if the fight is short enough, I can even watch it on Youtube with my dial-up.

Does that Turner guy fight MMA in K-1 or kickboxing? I do get K-1 ppvs on occasion and can't recall ever seeing him.
D-Boy
4/20/07 10:35:39PM
Here's a bit of background on him if your interested, quite outdated though

Link
pv3Hpv3p
4/21/07 2:07:38AM

Posted by D-Boy

Here's a bit of background on him if your interested, quite outdated though

Link

Thanks for the link... That guy seems to be a very well rounded fighter... Muay thai, Jits, Judo, the list seems to go on and on...
hippysmacker
4/21/07 2:34:57AM

Posted by Svartorm

You know the last time I remeber Tank being a last minute replacement was against Mo Smith. He looked really out of shape then too. He actually got Mo down for a minute and evaded a sub attempt. When they got stood up he got legkicked a few times and Big John mercifully stopped it. If he doesn't get this guy in 2 minutes he's probably done.
Svartorm
4/21/07 2:53:44AM
Actually Tank submitted from leg kicks agaist Mo Smith.
hippysmacker
4/21/07 3:31:46AM

Posted by Svartorm

Actually Tank submitted from leg kicks agaist Mo Smith.

Sorry, I said Big John stopped it. I remember he started tapping his own leg and turned. Your right, my bad
Svartorm
4/21/07 3:35:29AM
No problem. And for the record, Tank is coming into this fight 20lbs heavier and ten years older than in his fight with Mo Smith.