takedown tips

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » takedown tips
skatenate
3/30/08 4:17:14AM
whenever i go for a takedown, alot of the times i get caught in a kind of standing guillotine, and ill usaully still get the guy down (usually mount) but its a hassle getting out of the guillotine while making sure they dont get it deeper. Any tips? is it because of the style of takedown i am doing? (usually double leg)

thanks for any tips or advice.
jgtribbett
3/30/08 11:06:21AM
if you are shooting head on the Left side.. you need to lift your opponent and swing his legs to the left or if you arent lifting him.. stay on your toes when you he is down and circle your legs/hips to the other side of his body. you may have to push the knee on the oposite side of the chock to the ground to ensure a smooth transition. after you get side mount and your chin is facing his ribs...the whole time he squeezes .. he's just buring up energy haha
Rush
3/30/08 11:09:07AM
Are you taking guys down in an MMA context? Or is this submission wrestling/BJJ?

fullerene
3/30/08 5:25:07PM

Posted by jgtribbett

if you are shooting head on the Left side.. you need to lift your opponent and swing his legs to the left or if you arent lifting him.. stay on your toes when you he is down and circle your legs/hips to the other side of his body. you may have to push the knee on the oposite side of the chock to the ground to ensure a smooth transition. after you get side mount and your chin is facing his ribs...the whole time he squeezes .. he's just buring up energy haha

This is good advice. The only thing I'd add is that you can use a cross-face with the forearm nearest to his head to break his grip sooner.
jgtribbett
3/30/08 8:15:44PM
word... slide the cross face in from nearside to far side right under his nose.. he'll let go. haha
skatenate
3/30/08 11:38:14PM
thanks heaps, any websites you could recommend? (for videos or pics)

and its for MMA btw
Omega
3/30/08 11:49:39PM

Posted by skatenate

thanks heaps, any websites you could recommend? (for videos or pics)

and its for MMA btw

aesopian.com is good. Lastly takedowns are a nice broad term. There are many takedowns. By the looks of it I'm assuming you're talking about double leg. Keep head tight and up, it's harder to wrap the neck that way. Which, as was mentioned before, if you're doing a lifting action should take care of itself.
Jackelope
3/31/08 2:23:32AM
Damn good advice. Basically the idea is to shuck his legs far enough to the side that you end up in side control on the ground. A lot of guys with no solid wrestling background tend to think of a double leg as "picking them up and placing them in guard" because they'll drop the dudes straight on their back without shucking the legs to the side.
jgtribbett
3/31/08 11:29:24PM
watch tom erikson's shots.. he was #2 in the world for HWT freestyle wrestling for a while.. or in the nation or something
skatenate
4/1/08 5:21:09AM
thanks heaps for all the advice. cant wait to give it a go!
bigbubbano23
4/23/08 11:13:36PM
u want your head to be against his chest when shooting for a double leg, that will prevent the choke attempt. ive made that mistake countless times. when you head is in his chest u are supposed to use it as a lever or another force driving your opponent to the ground.
tsuwrestler157
4/24/08 12:21:25PM
a good counter for the standing guillitine is when in the double position put your head side arm under his leg and ur other arm above his shoulder and lift him like this

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/67488_submissions-defense-guillotine-seven.htm

its a really good slamming postition
Turtlebg
4/24/08 9:38:03PM
when me and my friend have sparring/wreslting matches, i used to go for the double leg all the time, when i did, he always put me in a guillotine, i usually got out, but it took a lot of energy away.

So now what i do is come in strike, light hooks to set him up, he thinks im going for the finish, and then i go for , say , his right leg, lift it, trip his left leg, and bam, ur side mount.
Or just grab one leg and try to pick him up, ur almost garruteed sidemount or halfgaurd, never guillotine if ur keep ur head up. Never have ur head down when going for double leg. I think double leg takedowns take to much energy if u cant get the guy down.
Jackelope
4/25/08 4:14:11AM

Posted by tsuwrestler157

a good counter for the standing guillitine is when in the double position put your head side arm under his leg and ur other arm above his shoulder and lift him like this

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/67488_submissions-defense-guillotine-seven.htm

its a really good slamming postition

<-------- Hehe, almost exactly like this
Salty
4/25/08 8:39:20AM
The way i learned how to do a double leg is when you shoot in keep your head to the outside but make sure your looking up its much harder for him to get his arm under you head if its close to his body too. I haven't been able to get it good yet, my shots suck still.
tsuwrestler157
4/25/08 12:47:33PM
above all just believe in yourself! lol
jgtribbett
4/25/08 7:38:33PM
i read the last page.. and this turned into a self help seminar.. wtf?