Takanori Gomi was ridiculously robbed by the jury !

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Takanori Gomi was ridiculously robbed by the jury !
Next Page »
andre_pt
3/3/13 12:26:29AM
Takanori Gomi vs. Diego Sanchez

Round 1: Sanchez rushes across and takes the center of the cage. Gomi inches forward. Sanchez misses and Gomi lands a counter right hand. Sanchez answers with a left hand to the body. Gomi lands a right hand counter. Gomi switches stances. Sanchez circles on the outside. Gome lands a left hand as Sanchez moved in. Sanchez accidentally lands a kick to the groin. The fight is restarted. Sanchez moves in with a right hand and secures a takedown. Gomi scrambles back to his feet and pushes Sanchez away. Sanchez lands a kick to the body. Gomi goes to the body with a right hand. Gomi moving forward. He lands to the body. Gomi lands a knee but Sanchez eats it and secures a takedown. Sanchez goes for a knee bar, but Gomi defends and gets to this feet. Gomi lands a hard right hand to the body. Gomi lands a right hand on the inside. Gomi delivers a kick to the body. Sanchez catches it and powers through for a takedown at the bell. MMAWeekly scores the round 10-9 for Gomi.

Round 2: Gomi lands his jab to start the second round. Gomi moves in and lands to the body with a right hand. Sanchez circles on the outside. Sanchez drops for a takedown but Gomi shakes it off. Gomi landing his jab often. He goes to the body of Sanchez. Sanchez lands a kick to the groin and the referee warns him that he’s going to take a point if he does it again. Sanchez lands a kick to the body. Gomi continues to work the body of Sanchez with punches. Gomi is the one dictating the pace. Sanchez lands a right hook. They exchange jabs. Sanchez delivers a knee to the body. Gomi starts to pepper Sanchez’ lead leg. Sanchez lands a right hand. Gomi lands a solid right hand. Sanchez’ corner calls for him to get the fight to the ground. Sanchez lands a kick to the body, and another. Gomi moves in with a combination. Sanchez goes to the body with a shot. MMAWeekly scores the round 10-9 for Gomi but could go either way.

Round 3: Sanchez runs to the center of the cage. Gomi lands his jab. Sanchez circles on the outside. Gomi stalks him. Gomi goes to the body with a right hand. Gomi switches stances. Gomi lands an inside leg kick. Sanchez steps in with a stiff jab followed by a leg kick. Sanchez lands a left hand. Gomi steps in with a straight right hand. Gomi continues to switch stances. He moves in behind his jab. Sanchez answers with a body kick. Two minutes remain in the round. Sanchez delivers another hard kick to the body. He drops for a takedown but Gome successfully sprawls. Gomi lands a counter right hand. Diego lands an outside leg kick. Sanchez clinches but Gomi pushes him away. Gomi lands a left hand. They exchange at the bell against the cage. Gomi uses head movement to make Sanchez miss. MMAWeekly scores the round 10-9 for Sanchez.

The judges score the fight for Sanchez by split decision. The scorecards read 29-28, 28-29, and 29-28.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Shawn91111
3/3/13 12:46:31AM
mmaweekly decides fights now? It was close, had it for Gomi, but close, not a robbery
andre_pt
3/3/13 12:50:44AM
If you thought this was a good call you're outing yourself as someone who doesn't know anything at all about fighting just my opinion.
prozacnation1978
3/3/13 1:25:10AM
I've seen a lot shittier decisions than this
I had split decision. Sanchez should have went for more takedowns
sparky
3/3/13 1:27:24AM

Posted by andre_pt

If you thought this was a good call you're outing yourself as someone who doesn't know anything at all about fighting just my opinion.

I thought Diego won rd1 & rd2 and I know lots about this sport ask around
postman
3/3/13 1:30:12AM
your run down even says rd 2 could go either way
postman
3/3/13 1:31:00AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

How can one man have a split decision?
tmas
3/3/13 1:43:40AM

Posted by postman

everyone has asked him that a million times. but he doesnt answer as he never comes back to threads he posts except once in a blue moon.
postman
3/3/13 1:52:17AM

Posted by tmas

Posted by postman

everyone has asked him that a million times. but he doesnt answer as he never comes back to threads he posts except once in a blue moon.

I'm aware i'm not letting him get away with it though. One thing I know to be true is one man can not award a split dec. Its not possible. So every time I see it no matter who posts it I'm calling them out on it. When I joined this site I got my ass handed to me and I learned you don't post shit that makes you look like a jackass. Its what made me love this place.
ThaAxeMurderer7
3/3/13 2:16:06AM

Posted by postman

Posted by tmas

Posted by postman

I'm aware i'm not letting him get away with it though. One thing I know to be true is one man can not award a split dec. Its not possible. So every time I see it no matter who posts it I'm calling them out on it. When I joined this site I got my ass handed to me and I learned you don't post shit that makes you look like a jackass. Its what made me love this place.

I don't know why but that rant just added to my high I'm having right now after watching a legend and one of my idols win. Wanderlei "Fuckin" Silva.

Anyway, I'm thinking when he said that he had split decision he meant that's what he picked here on the PG. That's the only logical explanation.
TheShaman
3/3/13 2:19:56AM
I noticed that Florian (commentating) mostly avoided mentioning Sanchez's punches, including the one that wobbled Gomi. I guess the judges weren't listening to the ringside commentators I think it was a very close fight though, and both fighters seemed unusually apprehensive.

The stats have Gomi throwing and landing more strikes in every round, but Sanchez with the takedowns. I had both fighters landing an equal amount of what I would call significant strikes. I honestly didn't know who the winner was going to be, and would have even accepted a draw.

When reviewing a fight, after watching it outright, I prefer to focus solely on one fighter and only pay attention to that one fighter's punches and performance... Then watch the fight again, focusing solely on the other fighter. That helps take away a lot of the bias by forcing yourself to acknowledge everything that each fighter does.
Playground_Samurai
3/3/13 2:35:19AM

Posted by andre_pt

Says the guy who went 1-10 on tonights card.
postman
3/3/13 2:37:56AM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Posted by postman

Posted by tmas

Posted by postman

I don't know why but that rant just added to my high I'm having right now after watching a legend and one of my idols win. Wanderlei "Fuckin" Silva.

Anyway, I'm thinking when he said that he had split decision he meant that's what he picked here on the PG. That's the only logical explanation.

You could be right about the game
cowcatcher
3/3/13 2:39:41AM

Posted by Playground_Samurai

Posted by andre_pt

Says the guy who went 1-10 on tonights card.

Well that settles that.
aussiemma
3/3/13 2:41:42AM
i thought gomi had it, but wasn't near the fight where kampmann got robbed against diego.
ncordless
3/3/13 6:06:42AM
I thought Gomi won, but I've seen worse decisions.
prozacnation1978
3/3/13 8:12:45AM

Posted by postman

What I meant was when it went into the third rd I was telling my friends this gonna be a split decision for sure
But I thought gomi would probably get it.
JLS1980
3/3/13 10:19:15AM

Posted by postman

What I meant was when it went into the third rd I was telling my friends this gonna be a split decision for sure

I knew what you meant Prozac. I've said it before plenty of times. Where I think a close fight could get a Split Decision call. It's not a one person call. Or this fight has Split Decision written all over it before it goes to the judges. I personally don't pick Split Decisions. A Unanimous Decision is more common so I think you're screwing yourself out of points more often than not. But not last night (4 SD's)

Back to the fight I picked Sanchez to win a UD. I thought Gomi won 29-28. But then again I only watched it once. And I think it was close. And I agree it wasn't complete robbery. I've seen worse Decisions.
Lungsofsteel
3/3/13 11:29:46AM

Posted by postman

your run down even says rd 2 could go either way

"run down" get it cause sanchez ran most of the fight
JoeWarren33
3/3/13 12:09:06PM
When will people openly admit that mafia is involved?
Tonight was a prime example.
As far as this fight, i had Gomi 3 rounds to 0.

A real shame for someone who looked his best in years.
prozacnation1978
3/3/13 2:13:19PM

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by postman

I knew what you meant Prozac. I've said it before plenty of times. Where I think a close fight could get a Split Decision call. It's not a one person call. Or this fight has Split Decision written all over it before it goes to the judges. I personally don't pick Split Decisions. A Unanimous Decision is more common so I think you're screwing yourself out of points more often than not. But not last night (4 SD's)

Back to the fight I picked Sanchez to win a UD. I thought Gomi won 29-28. But then again I only watched it once. And I think it was close. And I agree it wasn't complete robbery. I've seen worse Decisions.

Crazy thing is I am very good at calling them at the fights live and on tv. So I know a split when I see one. Just don't know if it will be a screw job !!!
prozacnation1978
3/3/13 2:15:47PM
I never pick splits
I go unanimous always
I'm just saying I said split watching the fight
I didnt pick Diego by split.
TheShaman
3/3/13 3:16:05PM
If I may add a few neutral observations to the debate now that I've watched the fight a third time...

After watching the fight yet again, Diego landed some nice kicks and punches in the last two minutes of round two (after a fairly even first half of the round), including a kick to the face and body (front kick-punch combo that landed), good head shots, and two hard body punches. He also stopped Gomi's energetic blitz with a stiff right.

As for the first round, I'd say Diego edged it out mainly with the takedowns (one with a sub attempt, and one with a couple of quick GnP landing), and by stumbling Gomi with a punch in the last minute of the first round.

I thought the final round was maybe slightly in Gomi's favor, but Diego's blitz at the end yielded a few good shots that landed, forcing Gomi to stop trading and circle away.

Gomi landed consistently throughout the fight, including some good leg kicks, but what I mentioned above is what I think the judges saw that put Sanchez slightly ahead. I would be comfortable in making a confident decision if I could see the fight a fourth time to confirm everything I saw, but unfortunately I don't have TiVo.
FlashyG
3/3/13 3:45:46PM
I thought Gomi won 29-28 pretty clearly.

Official score cards

2 judges thought Sanchez won the first 2 rounds.

Also 100% of the media sources MMAdecisions uses scored the fight for Gomi with 3 scoring it 30-27.

Not the worst robbery I've ever seen but one of the bigger ones. Odd how many controversial fights involve Jackson fighters.
grappler0000
3/3/13 4:46:38PM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
andre_pt
3/3/13 5:00:02PM
yes i was 1-10 tonight , bad night for me , and im starting to play .. but i watch fights for a long time .. seriously , your opinion dont mean shit to me . GOMI WAS ROBBED in my point of view and thats it .

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer. Bruce Lee
Playground_Samurai
3/3/13 5:25:31PM

Posted by andre_pt

yes i was 1-10 tonight , bad night for me , and im starting to play .. but i watch fights for a long time .. seriously , your opinion dont mean shit to me . GOMI WAS ROBBED in my point of view and thats it .

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer. Bruce Lee

A wise man doesn't go around telling people they don't know anything about a particular subject because of an opinion that differs from their own. -Me
Shawn91111
3/3/13 9:19:37PM

Posted by andre_pt

I said it was a close fight, I gave it to Gomi but it was close, not a robbery. Try to read what people write.
Shawn91111
3/3/13 9:22:48PM

Posted by andre_pt

Keep building on that 1-10 night
andre_pt
3/3/13 9:50:49PM
I was not even talking to you in my last post Shawn .. but yes, you are the magnificent heavyweight champion .. there is no discussion possible you majesty .. never had a bad night at pg I understand.

My last score of the event is not even discussed on the subject of this topic. but ok, be happy doing your thing .. ahahah. Cheers

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend." - Bruce Lee
Pages: [1] 2