Sylvia/Vera winner to fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for vacant heavyweight title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sylvia/Vera winner to fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for vacant heavyweight title
madmarck
10/17/07 3:59:08PM
The winner of the Brandon Vera-Tim Sylvia fight on Saturday at UFC 77 in Cincinnati will meet Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the vacant heavyweight title sometime early next year.

Yahoo Sports
UFCmania
brooklynbadass
10/17/07 4:42:26PM
isn't nog fighting kongo on NYE?
CwB
10/17/07 5:27:57PM

Posted by brooklynbadass

isn't nog fighting kongo on NYE?

it was supposed to be in february, but since couture retired i guess they cancelled the fight and are giving nog a title shot against winner tim or vera

i say while this is going on put AA against kongo winn er getting title shot
i think aa will dominate and sub him 1st or 2nd round
bayonetxwork
10/17/07 6:38:04PM
thats bs imo. I don't care who Nogueira has beat, I still think you should need to work up the ladder just as anyone else would. He's had one lackluster fight, and automatically is getting a title shot. Thats retarded IMO, I'd rather see Kongo fight the winner of Sylvia/Vera for the belt.
wapttn
10/17/07 6:38:45PM
dont get me wrong, i'm dying to see him fight.. but why is everyone so sure that AA is gonna fight now? Werdum and herring are ready to fight to arent they?
kerazzle
10/17/07 7:24:24PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

thats bs imo. I don't care who Nogueira has beat, I still think you should need to work up the ladder just as anyone else would. He's had one lackluster fight, and automatically is getting a title shot. Thats retarded IMO, I'd rather see Kongo fight the winner of Sylvia/Vera for the belt.

It's not BS, he's the #2 ranked fighter in the world, easily the most decorated heavyweight in the UFC right now.
nubby
10/17/07 7:31:46PM

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by bayonetxwork

It's not BS, he's the #2 ranked fighter in the world, easily the most decorated heavyweight in the UFC right now.

Which completely bypasses his argument that you should work your way up in the UFC to get a title shot. I agree. Every fighter needs to prove themselves in the cage especially with the way pride fighters have been performing.
MikeBillotto
10/17/07 7:44:56PM
im a tim sylvia fan and if he does indeed win this fight vs a very good fighter in brandon vera he still does not deserve a title shot right away.. hed get destroyed by NOG anyway.
jiujitsufreak74
10/17/07 7:45:10PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by bayonetxwork

Which completely bypasses his argument that you should work your way up in the UFC to get a title shot. I agree. Every fighter needs to prove themselves in the cage especially with the way pride fighters have been performing.

can't wait for cmill to jump all over that nubby

anyway i think he should have one more fight before a title shot, but i am not complaining that he gets one. i am satisfied with the way he performed against herring, it wasn't lackluster, he survived a sure KO proving that he can take a hit against a well respected HW fighter in herring. imo, he should fight kongo first or AA, but AA is having contract problems and if he were to fight Kongo the fight for the HW belt will be too far away. i understand this decision but agree that he should have one more fight first.
tuvok500
10/17/07 8:10:20PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by bayonetxwork

well, i agree that you have to prove yourself in a cage, but it is not logic to bypass the record of a guy because he fought in a ring, how can you recruit good fighters if you tell them that well, you will have to work your ways up in a cage, whatever you did in the pass, if it was in a ring , it doesn't count ???? !!!

it is also retarded i think !!!

of course the fact are that recently we saw some ring fighters having problem in a cage, but i believe that even if the fight would have been in a ring, it would be a possibility that the result would have be the same !!
when you gassed, you gassed, and a head kick or a broken rib is the same in a ring that in a cage !!

as for Nog's first fight in the ufc, well, i am still impressed by the heart of the guy, who was hit by a train directly to the head and still found a way to win the fight, i am pretty sure that even at the end of the fight, he was not completely recover !!

nubby
10/17/07 8:26:22PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by nubby

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by bayonetxwork

can't wait for cmill to jump all over that nubby

anyway i think he should have one more fight before a title shot, but i am not complaining that he gets one. i am satisfied with the way he performed against herring, it wasn't lackluster, he survived a sure KO proving that he can take a hit against a well respected HW fighter in herring. imo, he should fight kongo first or AA, but AA is having contract problems and if he were to fight Kongo the fight for the HW belt will be too far away. i understand this decision but agree that he should have one more fight first.

I just keep having flashes of Werdum and CC in my mind. Both of these guys were touted as top competition but netiher has lived up to the hype. Does that mean we just keep asuming any top fighter in pride will translate into a top fighter in the UFC? It's not a matter of disliking Nog or discounting his abilities in pride, but the cage screws with pride fighters and there is only one exception to that rule in quinton jackson. And you could even make the argument that Quinton is at home considering he started his career fighting in cages.
bayonetxwork
10/17/07 9:42:39PM

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by bayonetxwork

Just to clear it up, I KNOW he has the skills to eventually be UFC champ, but what you just said is exactly what I disagree with...I like the guy, but I also like the guys who have been fighting under the UFC for a while now, and they just get completely overlooked when established guys from other orgs come in and jump to the top. It would be way more justified, if instead of automatically putting them up against for the title, put them up against one or two of the other contenders for the title before hand. And what would it matter, if they have what it takes, they should steam roll the competition anyways.
Naturaldisaster
10/17/07 9:45:16PM

Posted by kerazzle

Posted by bayonetxwork

it really is bs. because if you don't remember Big nog almost got knocked out by hearring. and nog was really sloppy and not very entertaining. other than the almost KO i thought that fight was pretty boring. but He gets rewarded with a title fight, When they didn't give arlovski one because he had a boring fight with werdum. BS!
cmill21
10/17/07 9:52:46PM
I just don't get it when people say Nog had a bad first fight. He ducked into a kick, and other then that he never had any problems, at all lol. He out boxed, out wrestled and out did Herring in every way. He's earned it by doing very well in mma. Why were you guys not complaining when rampage got a shot? or when Anderson got a shot, or when Randy got a shot(nog earned it more then him). Nog IMHO would have beat Couture anyways, and him and kongo is a pretty dumb fight, so why not?
mikeyGdizzle
10/17/07 11:27:20PM
this is a bad concept but whatever, aint my company to ruin
bayonetxwork
10/18/07 7:07:18AM

Posted by cmill21

I just don't get it when people say Nog had a bad first fight. He ducked into a kick, and other then that he never had any problems, at all lol. He out boxed, out wrestled and out did Herring in every way. He's earned it by doing very well in mma. Why were you guys not complaining when rampage got a shot? or when Anderson got a shot, or when Randy got a shot(nog earned it more then him). Nog IMHO would have beat Couture anyways, and him and kongo is a pretty dumb fight, so why not?

Lol, that holds no weight since I did complain when they got a shot...And how is Nog vs. Kongo a dumb fight?
madmarck
10/18/07 8:22:14AM

Posted by wapttn

dont get me wrong, i'm dying to see him fight.. but why is everyone so sure that AA is gonna fight now? Werdum and herring are ready to fight to arent they?

Yeah but both aer coming off lopsided decision losses. I cant see them in the title picture soon. I think since we have Vera/Sylvia now we should have Nog fight AA or Kongo. Then the winner of each out fights each other for the title.

Personally Nog vs Sylvia might be a bit of a slow match. But im pretty sure Nog vs Vera would be frickin awesome.
CornishMMA
10/18/07 8:50:09AM
But they NEED the HW title fight at the superbowl event Feb 4th, Big Nog should really have to fight once more but timing dictates title shots and given his record in PRIDE he makes more sense then AA or Kongo

Im glad cos we all knew Kongo would get subbed quickly and now he can fight another striker for a more exciting fight, hopefully AA wil sort out his contract issues and fight Kongo
cmill21
10/18/07 9:46:44AM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by cmill21

Lol, that holds no weight since I did complain when they got a shot...And how is Nog vs. Kongo a dumb fight?

Good for you lol. It's a dumb fight because I don't know how kongo can possibly win, nog's got a great chin, good boxing, and the best BJJ in the HW div. Kongo has slow sloppy kickboxing(trust me he does) and isn't a good BJJ guy(obivously). Theres also the fact that the UFC doesn't want their stars being upset by lesser opponents anymore, so they'll just make it big name vs. big name, which would have been smart in the first place.
atlas777
10/18/07 10:56:27AM
I dont think Antonio Rodrigo Noguera should get the title shot personaly just becuase he only has 1 fight in the ufc he is good but i think he should have to take a couplemore fights.
TNunley
10/18/07 11:02:37AM
In all honesty, I don't think it really matters. I personally think Nog is overrated, and he has had 1 fight in the UFC and it was against a fellow former pride fighter. I think that if he were to get a title shot and IF he were able to win... he wouldn't hold it long. So, with the belt vacant at the moment I honestly couldn't care less about who goes after it. I see Vera and Tim both being able to take out Nog, so I don't really see him with the belt even if he were to get the shot. If Herring can get a knee in and nearly stop Nog, I see both Vera and Tim as being quite capable of stopping him. IMHO I see both Vera and Tim as far better strikers than Herring.
ohiostate1016
10/18/07 11:52:56AM
Nog has to beat Kongo first. Don' underestimate Kongo.
Ogre365
10/18/07 6:48:05PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Yeah I got to agree with that. I don't see anything wrong with bringing lots of Pride guys into the UFC, but you should get in line like everybody else for a title shot.
Ogre365
10/18/07 7:02:17PM
Herring can hit hard. But i have had trouble considering him to be anymore than just a skinnier Tank Abbott ever since his UFC debut in which he spent most of the fight on his back asking the reff to stand them up. He wouldn't even try to get off his back, he just laid there and looked up at the reff and whined that he was being held down (well no duh, that is why you try to get off your back).

I like Nog, and I like Herring, but honestly I don't think of Herring as a contender at all.

So any comments about Nog and Herring's fight I will take with a grain of salt.
Ogre365
10/18/07 7:05:26PM

Posted by wapttn

Personally Nog vs Sylvia might be a bit of a slow match. But im pretty sure Nog vs Vera would be frickin awesome.

Hell yeah I would love to see that fight.
ufcboss
10/19/07 7:12:15AM
Crap... What's he done in the UFC, Prove that he can beat the same guy a couple times. I like him, He just doesn't deserve it.
He should have at least 1 more fight before a title shot, Yeah he has a good ranking, But what's that mean. Where was Mirko ranked before the Gonzaga fight, And he had a title shot coming if he won. Same with Shogun, Number 1 in the whole world, He had a title shot coming if he won too, But he got smashed.
UFC is taking a turn for the worst, They should just make it fair. Tim for Champ. All I say about this, Tim for Champ.