Sylvia vs. Vera!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sylvia vs. Vera!!!
nickcuc547
8/16/07 3:08:10PM
ufcmania.com is reporting that dana white says vera will most likely fight big time. This is gonna be a great fight, I got Sylvia by second round ko, he will have trouble with vera's aggression but Tim will have too much power for Vera to deal with.
Ultimate_fighter
8/16/07 3:27:20PM
r u joking? Sylvia win? I say Vera 2nd round KO , vera has to much speed for sylvia, and if vera wants to he will take it do the ground, but i say they stand and sylvia's lights are going out... Trust me he will be seeing stars.
MurillaNinjaScrilla
8/16/07 3:29:45PM
I'll be pulling for Vera. This will be his toughest match yet and I think he can get the win using his speed.
fullerene
8/16/07 3:32:19PM
Good fight. I hope we see it.

Although it's tough for me to see clearly how their styles will match up, I think a 2nd or 3rd round KO by Syliva is pretty believable. Not that Vera can't win, but Arlovski looked every bit as invincible as Vera, with a bigger frame to boot, just before Tim connected on him.
DMcCabe11
8/16/07 3:32:28PM
i think we will see a big ugly flying agrresive fighter and i dont think we will see it as much as i want to anyway im pulling for big timmy!!!
kalymike
8/16/07 3:41:48PM
Finally "the truth" comes out, I have been waiting to see when vera was coming back.....vera 2nd round KO.......hope it happens
backalley101
8/16/07 4:15:23PM
Brandon Vera held out on his contract, to get more money per fight. The only thing is that Brandon Vera has only fought mid-level fighters, and one out of shape Frank Mir. Let's see if he's worth the money, or if it is just hype. I think Tim Sylvia is going to come back with avengance, hopefully.
Twenty20Dollars
8/16/07 5:47:53PM
Totally agree I think Tim is going to come back as a monster. Vera hasnt impressed me. People say vera is faster than tim, andrei was faster than tim and tim knocked out andrei. Vera is going to get caught prolly the second round, Tim is going to come back for real
BigTomZ
8/16/07 6:10:42PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Totally agree I think Tim is going to come back as a monster. Vera hasnt impressed me. People say vera is faster than tim, andrei was faster than tim and tim knocked out andrei. Vera is going to get caught prolly the second round, Tim is going to come back for real

Actually it was Andrei getting careless that got him knocked out, not Tim being a better fighter. Even their third fight Arlovski was cruising towards a win (easily taking the first 2 rounds) before he hurt his knee. I'm not sold on Tim being a top fighter who will finish his fights.
xchickox
8/16/07 6:26:14PM
i know couture showed up slyvia's faults, i think vera is gonna do this and more, i think he is gonna destroy slyvia, he's way to fast and technical for him, this is vera's step up
zephead
8/16/07 6:54:42PM

Posted by BigTomZ

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Actually it was Andrei getting careless that got him knocked out, not Tim being a better fighter. Even their third fight Arlovski was cruising towards a win (easily taking the first 2 rounds) before he hurt his knee. I'm not sold on Tim being a top fighter who will finish his fights.

Right. Because a fighter that finishes 79% of his fights isn't a finisher.
JuggaloWarrior878
8/16/07 7:17:09PM
vera is a great fighter but i think his inexperience with top 10 fighters and ring rust will give sylvia the win via ud
billycarnage
8/16/07 7:39:20PM
I give this one to Vera. I think that the heavyweight devision has suffered in the past and Sylvia has never fought anyone like Vera(besides Arlovski) Vera has more tools. He is smart. Sylvia fought Gan Mcgee and 5'4" Jeff Monson (not challenging). Coture was his first real test and he failed. He'll never make it back and Vera will prove that.

Hey Sylvia, stick to dancing!
bayonetxwork
8/16/07 7:47:41PM
Vera will chop Sylvia down with leg kicks, and eventually score the TKO in the 3rd.
juanez13
8/16/07 8:14:02PM
i think sylvia will come with the fire he had before, when he KO'd ricco rodriguez, (and how can i forget cabbage?? haha)......he became the boring fighter that was fightin not to loose when he got the title, he didnt wanna loose it becuase it so important to him, now that he doesnt have it, i think he will be more aggresive........

having said that the HW division has way more talent now, i dont see him makin it to the top with guys like big nog, and cro cop...(if CC was ever to fight sylvia, i think it would go something like CC vs Aleks emelianenko)
chickmagnet
8/16/07 8:30:02PM
Vera has got viscous Muay Thai, but Sylvia is gonna train hard
with the Miletich crew and pull off a win, but Vera is tricky and shouldn't
be taken lightly, i'd like to see one of these guys fight Gonzaga.
DeepStrike
8/16/07 9:55:40PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Vera will chop Sylvia down with leg kicks, and eventually score the TKO in the 3rd.

Exactly, he will move in circle's and chop Tim down with low kicks, then set up a stiff jab.

I think Vera will take this if he can control his nerves......
hippysmacker
8/17/07 2:55:11AM

Posted by backalley101

Brandon Vera held out on his contract, to get more money per fight. The only thing is that Brandon Vera has only fought mid-level fighters, and one out of shape Frank Mir. Let's see if he's worth the money, or if it is just hype. I think Tim Sylvia is going to come back with avengance, hopefully.

Actually it was his management that did. he fires them and is over the legal woes of getting out of his management deal. That's why he's FINALLY back
As for the fight 50/50 to me. This is Vera's first test against a top 10 guy. I think he has the tools to beat Sylvia, but I think he only finishes him by sub, if at all. I think it's more likely to be a UD, but not sure who yet. Until the UFC reports it, I'm not gonna spend time thinking about a victor.Too many of these websites rumors are wrong. Either they make it up, or report it when a fight is offered to someone. Sylvia reportedly has staph, so I don't even know if he'll be able to fight by then. Sometimes staph is over quickly, sometimes it kills you.
DCRage
8/17/07 7:44:18AM
Despite the layoff, I'd go with Vera here. Sylvia has been very lackluster in his last few fights, not to mention he was lucky to not get stopped by Couture in 20 seconds. The possible staph infection going around his camp wouldn't affect his performance in my eyes, even if it wasn't there I don't expect much out of him. Vera's going to have more motivation with his new contract and being out of UFC for a while-with all those other big names now onboard he's got a chance at bigger fights and bigger paychecks if he steps up and performs well enough.
LR
8/17/07 9:27:09AM
I agree, Sylvia has been lackluster big time. He's also another fighter than once he hit the championship, he became ultra cautious and lost the hunger. Vera is looking to prove he is the best, and will probably come out and cut the big man down.

Take a look at the Scherner fight. Fabiano was way bigger than Vera, and Vera got the clench in and basically kneed him to death. I think Sylvia would have a hard time dealing with his kicks. Vera has very long length and range as well, so Sylvia's counters would be late.
Trapt1nw0nder
8/17/07 9:28:04AM
Brandon Vera's Muay Thai skills will be too much for timmy to deal with....Brandon will chop the giant down with leg kicks.

the only way i see Big Tim winning is by a 1 punch KO..and that is not likely to happen
TNunley
8/17/07 12:55:30PM

Posted by fullerene

Good fight. I hope we see it.

Although it's tough for me to see clearly how their styles will match up, I think a 2nd or 3rd round KO by Syliva is pretty believable. Not that Vera can't win, but Arlovski looked every bit as invincible as Vera, with a bigger frame to boot, just before Tim connected on him.

Arlovski was overconfident in his ability. Then after being KTFO, he was far to underconfident. Unless Sylvia has been working on a different gameplan,... I think he's on his downward spiral.
mkiv9secsupra
8/18/07 12:31:37PM
Yeah sure Vera has some decent muay thai but hes not going to be able to get around Sylvia's reach. Come on now. Thats the whole reason Sylvia was champ for so long. Vera is just not at a level to derail big Tim. Tim by unanimous decision or round 3 tko.
k_lup07
8/18/07 1:55:47PM
sick. i cant wait to see vera's dance as he stands above the pale giant, triumphant.

should be a good fight since tim has lost the belt and honestly i really dont think he can fight any worse.
NatedawgThaM
8/18/07 3:42:24PM
If this fight is going to happen I say Brandon Vera will try in press the action and try and catch Tim and make him fall down like Randy did and then get on top of him and I see Brandon Vera getting the 2nd round submission...

Tim needs to use his reach. I only see him winning if he jabs Brandon when he comes in and sprawls and protects his chin then I think he could win a unanimous decision
jeremygreen
8/18/07 3:49:16PM
Vera will kick silvas ass, i say by triangle choke 2nd round. mark my words. Its veras time to shine.