Sylvia expected to leave UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sylvia expected to leave UFC
imanidiot777
3/28/08 8:59:16AM
I don't get it, is this because he knows he can't be Big Nog? Or is this really about Brock Lesnar's contract? If it's because of the contract maybe one day he will understand in America you don't get paid just on your skill but also on your marketability. What do you think?

MMAWeekly
DevonFoxy
3/28/08 9:36:28AM
Well I think this stinks but at the same time im not gonna complain.Tims a great fighter and was the UFC heavyweight division for awhile but, If they start paying Tim the money they pay Brock then things are going to get out of hand. I really wish those two would just fight but what can ya do. I really didn't like how he trys to back Dana into a corner saying "my manager runs M1". I would like to see him in M1 and then he'll have to fight Choi and we will see how he likes not having the size advantage any more.
hippysmacker
3/28/08 10:09:16AM
Heavyweight is the thinnest division in MMA IMO, and i think the UFC would be making a mistake letting him go. I understand Sylvias beef about Lesnar getting more $, but I think he sells more tickets than Tim unfortunately. At least he sells more among casual fans. Us diehards are gonna watch it no matter what. It's the extra 125 000 they supposedly did when Lesnar headlined thats probably getting him payed more. Anyway, I think the UFc should up their offer a bit. There just aren't that many good heavyweights anywhere, UFC included if you ask me.
imanidiot777
3/28/08 10:24:51AM
Yea the heavyweight division is definitely the thinnest besides maybe flyweight or something crazy. Who in the UFC will beat Nog? I really do want Tim to stay and fight Brock, if he says Brock isn't worth the money, prove it Tim, I'd have my money on Lesnar in that fight too.
gsquat
3/28/08 10:35:43AM
I think Tim is still definitely marketable and has enough skill to stick around. His attitude and work ethic are another thing. He may need some time somehwere else to regroup himself.

As for who can beat Nog: There are few, but some nonetheless...

Vera could beat him. Along with a good ground game, Vera has the standup power to put him out for good.

Not sure if Randy would win... not that we'll ever see that fight anyway.

Arlovski could beat Nog as well. And I think he will when he gets his shot.
DCRage
3/28/08 11:03:41AM
It's all about the mighty greenback. The big question now probably is how much will Monte offer Timmy to fight for M-1 Global? He'd at least get top billing now that Fedor's gone.
Mastodon2
3/28/08 11:58:42AM
Sylvia - Choi is a fight I'm actually really excited about. Don't see it as a freakshow match, this one could be really exciting. Choi has better hands all the time, and his KO power with 4oz gloves would be awesome, I'd pick him to outstrike the sluggish Sylvia anyday!
cmill21
3/28/08 2:32:52PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Sylvia - Choi is a fight I'm actually really excited about. Don't see it as a freakshow match, this one could be really exciting. Choi has better hands all the time, and his KO power with 4oz gloves would be awesome, I'd pick him to outstrike the sluggish Sylvia anyday!

Maybe people would quit calling Choi a can if he beat tim...no wait if it doesn't happen in the UFC it's not good enough.
Pookie
3/28/08 2:38:42PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Mastodon2

Maybe people would quit calling Choi a can if he beat tim...no wait if it doesn't happen in the UFC it's not good enough.

prozacnation1978
3/28/08 4:50:35PM
heavyweight was a weak division, and now with tim gone, cro cop, andmaybe andre. what are they thinking... i hope with all that money they are saving but yet tickets for seats and pay per views are rising i am hoping they will shell out that money for fedor or at least a couple good heavyweights out there like barnett or maybe bring back monson or rizzo back.
mk1630
3/28/08 4:52:40PM
Hopefully this makes the UFC realize that they need to sign some of those top HW's that are still out there.
Mastodon2
3/28/08 6:18:42PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Mastodon2

If people looked at Choi's record rather than his "freak show match up" selling point they'd see he is the real deal. Granted he hasn't beat many big names, Kaoklai is good but Choi outsizes him massively, and he has beaten Bob Sapp and Mo Siliglia. However, the guys that beat him are the best, Le Banner, Schilt, Bonjasky, and in MMA, Fedor. He is game, his striking ability is better than Tim's, and he is bigger and considerably stronger than him too.
Franklinfan47
3/28/08 9:21:36PM
Wow the UFC has now officially lost Cro cop, Couture, Arlovski, and Sylvia. It makes me wonder, what the hell happens now? Nog vs Werdum? Herring?