Swick vs Kampmann in the works for UFC 103

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Swick vs Kampmann in the works for UFC 103
Mr_Dead_Sexy
6/29/09 5:20:15PM
A welterweight contest between Mike Swick and Martin Kampmann is likely for UFC 103, MMAWeekly.com has learned from sources close to the fight.

While bout agreements have not been signed, both parties have agreed to the match-up.

UFC 103 is expected to take place on Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, the promotion’s second trip to the Lone Star State. The event has yet to be announced by the UFC.

LINK
cowcatcher
6/29/09 5:22:17PM
i heard this earlier today and i like this fight more than the swick/hughes fight that was rumored. the winner of this one is probably in line for a title shot, and deservedly so. im not sure who to take at this point but im leaning towards swick in what could be a fun one to watch.
sparky
6/29/09 5:29:13PM
I think Swick will win this by KO-TKO !!!
lohmann
6/29/09 5:29:44PM
UFC 103 is in September, which makes me wonder if St. Pierre or Alves will be sidelined until the December show on waiting for the winner to be ready to challenge for the title.

Going to be a great fight, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kampmann get his second Fight of the Year candidate with this one.
CwB
6/29/09 5:33:29PM
i think swick will take it, but kampmann will keep it competitive and im predicting Fight of the Night
loller90278
6/29/09 5:52:13PM
i have no doubt kampmann will make short work of swick
State_Champ
6/29/09 5:53:02PM
I had been hoping this fight would happen!
Yes!
I don't know who will win but I'm gonna guess Swick wins by (T)KO.
Giant_Ochai
6/29/09 6:13:31PM
Excellent match making. Also makes me wonder when Condit will fight again.
KaibaThedon
6/29/09 6:14:27PM
Oooh this is a tough one, and Swick finally gets a top 10 opponent.

I wanna go with Mike Quick Swick by TKO (Strikes)
buell613
6/29/09 6:31:53PM
I am a big fan of Swick, but I do think this will be his toughest fight to date. It's gonna be fight of the night that's for sure!!!
Boo_Radley21
6/29/09 6:35:56PM
Swick by rape
Mayhem13
6/29/09 6:41:20PM
Yay! I called this fight, a while back.

Both guys are pretty similiar fighters, and evenly matched. I think Swick is a little taller, and a little faster...which may make a difference in the end.

Gonna go with Swick by decision unanimous.
emfleek
6/29/09 6:55:27PM
Tough one to call. I'll be pulling for the Hitman, for sure, though.
wrona666
6/29/09 6:55:50PM
Im suprised that everyone is going with Swick on this one....I think Kampman will take this fight exactly like he took Condit.....
Hendo67
6/29/09 7:16:14PM
I agree, i'm surprised with all these Swick picks.

Kampmann via DEC, i think he's going to control Swick bad.
billycarnage
6/29/09 7:23:08PM
This is too close to call for me. I will have to see how they prepare for one another. I think Kampmann has taken the cut better than Swick but it is safe to say that they are both comfortable at 170. I am leaning toward Kampmann but who knows. I would pick Swick at 185 though. I like this match up a lot.
RandyCouture
6/29/09 7:34:24PM
This will be a good fight but i really don't wanna see it or i should say i do but whats in the title picture after that. Kampmann and swick are both off fresh wins and looking good in the new weight class. I would like to see both of them get built up a little more rather then fight each other. I would like to see one of them take on hughes and one take on serra or kampmann take on kos or fitch or something in that area. The title picture is kinda iffy after this fight possibly fitch another title shot after 1 or 2 more wins but i dont want to see gsp fight twice a year while they try to find a good opponent for the title. Never the less im going with swick via 2nd round tko.
Twenty20Dollars
6/29/09 7:43:19PM
I think this is a bad matchup for Kampmann, swick can keep distance and strike. Then also work in the clinch.

I see this fight going somewhat like the Swick/Saunders fight. Swick R2 tko.
sclasclemski
6/29/09 8:59:25PM
I love this fight and think it makes a hell of alot more sense then the hughes/swick fight I read a rumor about...although I think that would be a pretty intriguing fight...swick would cement himself as a contender with a win while Hughes could prove himself still relevant to the division

POST 250
sclasclemski
6/29/09 9:02:47PM

Posted by RandyCouture

This will be a good fight but i really don't wanna see it or i should say i do but whats in the title picture after that. Kampmann and swick are both off fresh wins and looking good in the new weight class. I would like to see both of them get built up a little more rather then fight each other. I would like to see one of them take on hughes and one take on serra or kampmann take on kos or fitch or something in that area. The title picture is kinda iffy after this fight possibly fitch another title shot after 1 or 2 more wins but i dont want to see gsp fight twice a year while they try to find a good opponent for the title. Never the less im going with swick via 2nd round tko.

Call me paranoid/hopefull...but maybe the UFC is keeping the title picture hazy to make a GSP/Silva Superfight more of a reasonable possibility
Jackelope
6/29/09 9:07:53PM
A lot of us called this one in the Swick is a top 4 thread. Maybe the UFC was watching what we all posted and they decided to make the match happen!

Congrats playground, you guys rock!
prozacnation1978
6/29/09 10:23:18PM
two things

one i like this matchup they are two worthy opponents for next title shot
this is for next title shot for sure

two this will more than likely set up a dec year end title then against pierre/alves winner

look for swick to ko kammpman while martin tries to take fight to ground and sub swick

swick is tough, more hungry than martin

great fight might be hot bout
Willyum
6/30/09 3:52:37AM
this fight scares the hell out of me i'm a fan of both of them and i see either swick ending in a quick flurry ala nate the great or a long marcus davis type match where martin could get solid ground advantage i dunno though its rough and it is fight of the year cand.
fizzle
6/30/09 4:33:36AM
I think Kampmann takes this fight, Martin looks better at 170, Swick looks gaunt and emaciated, I think Martin takes this fight by being superior everywhere except wrestling. Martin TKO Round 2, though Swick is game and could force the UD.
whardin19
6/30/09 1:56:06PM
You know, I'm not totally sure that Swick can win this fight. It's going to be a war! Kampmann is a really good striker but Swick is better in my opinion. I think Kampmann will look to take Swick down and beat him. And none of us have seen how good Swick is off his back. This is a very intresting fight.