When did sweat in the eye, count as a timeout?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » When did sweat in the eye, count as a timeout?
Next Page »
RampageOwnedYou
10/19/08 8:36:28PM
Dont get me wrong, im happy Bisping won. But how in the world did the ref allow this fight to be stopped ,just because Michael got sweat in his eye and could not see? Matt Hughes must of been sitting at home and breaking some crap after seeing the ref actually stop the fight , for him to recover. In regards to his BJ Penn fight and Trigg fight, where no stop happened for him.
Its not like it was an illegal knee, or a kick to the groin. This was a first for me, to see something like this happen. I have seen over 1000 fights and have not once, witnessed this.

So again, is there a rule in regards to sweat in eye, equals a timeout?

Well I know if I was a Leben fan I would of been pissed, or if I had REAL money on the line.

Regardless, happy Michael won. But I have not seen any chat on this, and thought it was something that was crucial in the fight. Leben could of walked in and clocked him, and no way Michael would of been able to A) See or B) Recover.
jiujitsufreak74
10/19/08 8:38:55PM
i didn't know that it was stopped due to the sweat, i just assumed he caught a poke in the eye. if i had known that it was stopped due to sweat in the eye you could bet that i would have said something about it. can anyone else verify this?
juanez13
10/19/08 8:39:59PM
Things like that are up to the Refs discretion, maybe he thought it was caused by a poke in the eye.

DevonFoxy
10/19/08 8:42:00PM
I thought he got like Vaseline in the eye and he wanted to get that out......that being said the ref on hand for the main event wasn't the cream of the crop
jiujitsufreak74
10/19/08 8:51:52PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I thought he got like Vaseline in the eye and he wanted to get that out......that being said the ref on hand for the main event wasn't the cream of the crop

as soon as i saw Mirgliotta was the ref i flipped. there is always an aura of dishonesty when he refs.
cmb19932
10/19/08 9:06:11PM
lol this is why i liked bjm cuz since the argument he had with tank abbot hes always been controversy free
RampageOwnedYou
10/19/08 9:15:22PM
He used the refs shirt to whipe it from his eye. How did you not notice this jj?
Either way, it should not happen.
iwannabesedated
10/19/08 9:17:23PM
I thought i heard Joe or Goldberg say something about it being Vaseline in his eye.Dont quote me on that but i thought something was said about it being Vaseline.
voodoo-jitsu
10/19/08 9:17:37PM
im glad bisping won as well.... it gave me 11 points and an avatar bet win that being said i thought the same thing... i thought how can a fighter call time out like that... it was goldy that said it was sweat in the eyes... im not sure the real reason but i was a little confused on how a fighter can call time out
jiujitsufreak74
10/19/08 9:17:56PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

He used the refs shirt to whipe it from his eye. How did you not notice this jj?
Either way, it should not happen.

well tbh, when the fight stopped i went to the bathroom because i had to pee, i just assumed it was stopped due to a poke in the eye b/c that's what it looked like Bisping was trying to say. it might have been Vaseline though, and if it was in fact Vaseline that makes sense because he would not have been able to see out of his eye and that would disrupt the fight.
juanez13
10/19/08 9:22:45PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

I thought i heard Joe or Goldberg say something about it being Vaseline in his eye.Dont quote me on that but i thought something was said about it being Vaseline.

I remember that being said too.
Ben_Hutch
10/19/08 9:25:53PM
Bisping had vaseline in his eye so with the referee's permission he used his shirt to wipe it out.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/19/08 9:31:37PM
i dont think it affected the outcome of the fight
Aaronno9
10/19/08 9:41:46PM
Yeh he got vas in his eye. I mean, i dont see why anybody could be pissed about this, nothing was happening when Mike asked the ref to stop it. Id be more pissed if mike couldnt see then Leben knocked him out. That would be a bullshit way to end a fight for sure.

It would of been differant of leben was unloading a combo then Bisping got the fight stopped to wipe it out. I mean to me it was just like asking a ref to stop it for a gum shield coming out or a glove coming loose.
Rush
10/19/08 11:20:50PM
I've had sweat in my eyes before and couldn' t wipe it out (I was doing kendo) and it's recoverable. For the record, sweat with sun screen sucks thought. lol

As far as the situation went, the thing I didn't like about it was the fact that Bisping called the time out, not the ref. As far as it being Vaseline, well, I think that should have remained the responsibility of the corner. IMO, Vaseline becomes no different than blood, sweat or whatever. If his corner put too much on such that it caused him problems, then he should have to deal with it.

A fighter should not be able to just call time out in the middle of the fight. Remember when Gonzaga tried to do it when blood was going in his eyes? The ref said no way can't wipe it out. This fight should have been the same.

I thought it was BS the way it went down.

Had the ref. noticed the glob and stopped the fight, that would have been a different story.

I'd like to see an automatic point deduction for any fighter that calls a time out in the middle of a fight.
H
10/20/08 1:03:34AM
I think probably the Ref. thought it was a poke in the eye, but it was strange, and at a time in the fight I felt Leben had good momentum and was controlling the pace and octagon.

It didn't really affect the fight at all as they both kind of continued what they were doing after... it was an odd moment though!

I did think in a controversial decision, Leben was pretty respectful and gave props. to a fighter I doubt he felt beat him in any way.
moob
10/20/08 7:20:50AM

Posted by H

Well since he's a TUF winner, he can whatever he wants, like never finish fights, show no aggression, act like Caleb Starnes in the ring, and still win decisions.

I think he probably got punched in the face by Leben and was crying from sadness, so had to get that out of his eye.. seems reasonable to me... If I were punched by Leben I'd no doubt be crying a lot.

Not that you're bitter.

Yeah, Bisping ran about like Starnes, that's why Leben's face looked like it was hit by a truck at the end of the fight.
Aaronno9
10/20/08 10:26:20AM

Posted by H

Well since he's a TUF winner, he can whatever he wants, like never finish fights, show no aggression, act like Caleb Starnes in the ring, and still win decisions.

3 fights at 185, one decision. Think before you post.

The only thing Bisping has in common with Kalib is they both picked Leben apart.
Rush
10/20/08 10:56:03AM

Posted by H

I think he probably got punched in the face by Leben and was crying from sadness, so had to get that out of his eye.. seems reasonable to me... If I were punched by Leben I'd no doubt be crying a lot.

To say that Dana influences the outcome of these fights is insinuating that Dana is paying off the NSAC to influence the fights, which is ludacris.

The only way Dana can "influence" a fight is by matchmaking.

Posted by H

I think probably the Ref. thought it was a poke in the eye, but it was strange, and at a time in the fight I felt Leben had good momentum and was controlling the pace and octagon.

If the ref thought Leben poked him in the eye, why didn't he stop the fight. Instead, Bisping called time. It's crazy
moob
10/20/08 11:10:02AM

Posted by Rush

If the ref thought Leben poked him in the eye, why didn't he stop the fight. Instead, Bisping called time. It's crazy

From what I saw, he asked for time to get it sorted - the ref has to make the decision to allow it or otherwise - he allowed it, rightly or wrongly.

I really dunno why your getting yourself in such a pickle over it...
DevonFoxy
10/20/08 11:41:22AM
Rush hit this right on the head imo. I mean you can't just stop a fight if your a fighter. Thats not in the fighters power to do. Unless your tapping or knocked out a fighter should not be able to dictate when he gets a stop to get junk out of his eye.

If any other ref was in there I think the fight would have just said fight.

Im not saying it changed the outcome of the fight but now way can you do that and expect the ref to hold you and wipe it out of your eye for you like in this fight.
stock
10/20/08 3:16:12PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i dont think it affected the outcome of the fight

I agree.
His backpedaling was just as fast before and after the vaseline was wiped away.
Jlloyd
10/20/08 3:41:02PM

Posted by H

what the hell?

he had vaseline in his eye, he tried to quickly get it out by using Dan's shirt

When Dan realised he called for time out and let him wipe it out

the fight restarted in about 5 seconds

I don't see the big deal

the amount of Bisping haters on MMA forums is incredible

the guys humble and honest, I've even seen him being called scared just because he said he isn't ready for Silva yet

absolutely crazy

Ben_Hutch
10/20/08 4:57:38PM

Posted by H

I'm not going to waste my time writing a decent reply to your comment, stop being an idiot mate, you'd make the sherdog forumee's proud.
Rush
10/20/08 5:02:50PM

Posted by Jlloyd

what the hell?

he had vaseline in his eye, he tried to quickly get it out by using Dan's shirt

When Dan realised he called for time out and let him wipe it out

the fight restarted in about 5 seconds

I don't see the big deal

the amount of Bisping haters on MMA forums is incredible

the guys humble and honest, I've even seen him being called scared just because he said he isn't ready for Silva yet

absolutely crazy

From my perspective it has nothing to do with Bisping or Leben. I called the fight perfectly so it has nothing to do with points either.

It has to do with the fact that I don't think a fighter should be able to call a time out in a fight, ever. GSP is my favorite fighter, but I wouldn't expect him to call a time out for any reason and if he did, I'd say it was crazy too. It is the ref's job to call time outs and stop the fight. Notice that even the corner cannot call a stop to a fight.

Whether people think the stoppage had an effect on the outcome is irrelevant. It's about letting fighters do things they shouldn't be allowed to do.

What will happen if this problem is not addressed is that fighters will start calling time outs and eventually, a fight outcome will be affected. See the Fitch vs. Joslin fight if you think I am crazy.
dannyfrank
10/20/08 5:26:27PM

Posted by H

It didn't really affect the fight at all as they both kind of continued what they were doing after... it was an odd moment though!

I did think in a controversial decision, Leben was pretty respectful and gave props. to a fighter I doubt he felt beat him in any way.

i dont think that anyone who actually watched this fight can call the decision controversial. even leben knew he had lost
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/20/08 10:25:46PM

Posted by H

I thought You were only aloud one acount on this forum dvs?
cowcatcher
10/20/08 10:30:46PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by H

i have a feeling its not dvs, but a different poster that already has an account......
Rush
10/20/08 11:09:17PM
Unless he's using a different IP, it's a unique account otherwise it would have been banned.
CwB
10/20/08 11:23:12PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by H

for anyone one to compare what bisping did to leben to what starnes didnt do to quarry then you my friend deserve one of these
Pages: [1] 2