Not Surprisingly...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Not Surprisingly...
npayant
12/1/07 12:18:39PM
I check my Secondary league last night at around 10 pm, and all my picks are set and ready to go....

I check this morning (when the card has been closed), and there was a fight added...

This is getting stupid....
wolfman
12/1/07 12:25:35PM
Dude, calm down. If you look at the stats only 137 people picked this fight.
npayant
12/1/07 12:28:30PM
I don't care....

It happens every card in the secondary league....

At some point, they should cut off the time they can slip in a fight at the last minute...

I know it's not the site admins. fault that fights are added to the card at the last minute, but that doesn't mean they need to add it to the card when nearly no one is going to see it...
Tombsuprat
12/1/07 12:31:40PM
I actully put in the ticket for that Card Update at around 8pm EST and they deleted the fight immediately but it took a good 4 hours for them to add the new one.
JuggaloWarrior878
12/4/07 1:48:46AM
ya i usually check at like 3 in the morining just to make sure. and if theyve added fights i tell the people in my fightcamp.
emfleek
12/4/07 9:07:47AM
Clearly this is the end of the world as we know it.
madmarck
12/4/07 8:42:19PM

Posted by npayant

I don't care....

At some point, they should cut off the time they can slip in a fight at the last minute...

I know it's not the site admins. fault that fights are added to the card at the last minute, but that doesn't mean they need to add it to the card when nearly no one is going to see it...

Cards change. If you didnt notice it why should the admin.
There is a link you can click to show that a card has been updated.
Art_Vandelay
12/5/07 1:02:39PM

Posted by wolfman

Dude, calm down. If you look at the stats only 137 people picked this fight.

Including yourself. And most of the others on the points leaderboard right now.

Add to it that this was a gimme pick, in the sense that literally everyone given the chance to pick, would select Buchanan as the obvious favorite.

That's 5-11 points taken from everyone who is really in the running, after the fact. I'm sure if Buchanan had lost, we could all agree that this was pretty much a non-issue, since few, if any, of the points leaders would have picked against him in this match-up. That was not the case, however.

I don't think people should be expected to camp out on their computers, especially for a fight of such incredible disinterest.

I don't know when the fight went up, but if it really was added after 10pm EST and the card locked up in the morning, I'd scrap the fight for everyone.
zephead
12/5/07 3:56:10PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by npayant

I don't care....

Cards change. If you didnt notice it why should the admin.
There is a link you can click to show that a card has been updated.

Because we're suppose to be at our computers 24 hours a day. Didn't you know that????
Svartorm
12/6/07 2:29:23AM
If its less than 12 hours before the cut-off time, a fight won't be added, but 12 hours should be enough time for everyone to get the picks in.

The secondary league is the most hectic for changing fight cards, so you gotta be on your toes. Thats also why our Primary league is just the UFC, as they're the only org that doesn't seem throw four fights on a card without telling anyone.

Like I said though, if you check the fight picks 12 hours beforehand, it should be finalized.
BerndRealBad
12/7/07 12:05:04AM
Funnily enough, if my computer was working at the time and I made that pick, got it for the full points, I'd be in second place overall by 1 point. Huh...oh well.
madmarck
12/8/07 7:37:18PM

Posted by BerndRealBad

Funnily enough, if my computer was working at the time and I made that pick, got it for the full points, I'd be in second place overall by 1 point. Huh...oh well.

Well sucks that your comp wasnt working.
Best thing to do though guys. Dont check the picks every 10 mins.
But check it 30 mins before the cut off time. Its not that hard.
Art_Vandelay
12/9/07 12:38:20AM
When 90% of players can't make the pick, it's safe to say inclusion of the pick serves only a select few.

The issue is made clear when you look at the opinions in this thread. Nearly everyone who is arguing is among the leaders. Those of us who lost the minimum 5 gimme points of the pick are obviously not fans of a seemingly unfair gap created by the pick, while everyone who supports inclusion of the pick gained from it, and wishes to keep their shady winnings.

Without the pick, or with full knowledge of the pick across the board, and the leaderboard would shuffle about considerably.
npayant
12/9/07 11:43:24AM
I'm glad that more people are starting to voice their opinions in this thread...

Maybe the admins. will come up with something for the future to take care of this problem:

Ex. (the cut off time they (the admins) can add a fight to a card on here, no matter if the card changed at the last second, should be at least 12 hours before the event...maybe more)

This would mean people wouldn't have to stay camped out by their computers waiting for the deadline to make sure nothing changes at the last second!
wolfman
12/9/07 12:27:49PM

Posted by Art_Vandelay

When 90% of players can't make the pick, it's safe to say inclusion of the pick serves only a select few.

The issue is made clear when you look at the opinions in this thread. Nearly everyone who is arguing is among the leaders. Those of us who lost the minimum 5 gimme points of the pick are obviously not fans of a seemingly unfair gap created by the pick, while everyone who supports inclusion of the pick gained from it, and wishes to keep their shady winnings.

Without the pick, or with full knowledge of the pick across the board, and the leaderboard would shuffle about considerably.

It is unfair and I agree that the fight should be removed since an overwhelming majority of people did not pick the fight . Yet, make sure you double check the event as there was enough time to make the pick. As said before and from previous experience you should know by now that the secondary events usually change frequently and the admins. do their best to keep the card up to date. If they take the points away, it won't affect me and others that much. So, I hope they take our "shady points" away to shut you up. I am sorry that I was able to make my pick fairly and you weren't. Remember, it is just a game
emfleek
12/10/07 9:22:46AM

Posted by emfleek

Clearly this is the end of the world as we know it.

npayant
12/10/07 11:37:55AM
I have no problem with the mods changing the fight card...I know that's going to happen ( on EVERY secondary card)... What makes me frustrated:

I check the card after 10 pm the night before the fight and ALL of my fights are selected... I get up the next morning, the day of the fight, and the card has been changed (AND the event is LOCKED...early in the morning when the fights aren't until that night). I had no way of seeing that change in time ( unless I set my alarm just to check the site.... which I shouldn't have to do

Svartorm
12/11/07 2:42:57AM

Posted by npayant

I have no problem with the mods changing the fight card...I know that's going to happen ( on EVERY secondary card)... What makes me frustrated:

I check the card after 10 pm the night before the fight and ALL of my fights are selected... I get up the next morning, the day of the fight, and the card has been changed (AND the event is LOCKED...early in the morning when the fights aren't until that night). I had no way of seeing that change in time ( unless I set my alarm just to check the site.... which I shouldn't have to do

Once again, the cut off time to update a fight is 12 hours before the event. The fight you're complaining about was updated at 10:52pm by myself, and the cut off was at 11am the next day, so while close, it was just over 12 hours.

With smaller orgs like Strikeforce, Cage Rage, etc, the fight card is generally finalized at the weigh in, which is usually less than a day beforehand. The fight cards are as accurate as possible up until then, but shit happens and sometimes fights get added or dropped.

The fights are locked when the event is billed to start, not when the event airs. Otherwise someone could call or text a friend and have them update their picks as the undercards happen, being as there are only four or so actual live fights on a PPV.

This is the best set-up we can possibly come up with, and the only thing you could do to help it along is to check the weigh-in/finalized card and make sure they match. If they don't, hit the "Report Fightcard Update" button next to the event on the Fantasy Picks page and let the mods know so they can update the card.

Either that or get your ass out of bed before 11am.
npayant
12/11/07 10:32:24AM
"Once again, the cut off time to update a fight is 12 hours before the event. The fight you're complaining about was updated at 10:52pm by myself, and the cut off was at 11am the next day, so while close, it was just over 12 hours."

I can't believe you think that is reasonable... Yeah, I'd say it was close!!!!!

I checked after 10:30 pm Mountain and nothing was changed...

And I check the next morning at around 10 am Mountain and it was changed and locked........

Still pretty last minute if you ask me.... I can see where 12 hours would normally be enough time, but not when you make the change OVERNIGHT....that takes up about 10 hours of time on avg. So a person actually has 1 -2 hours to maybe see the change. Like I said, unless a person stays up late to see the change or sets an alarm to see it in the morning... they won't see it.

And believe me...I was up at 6:30 that morning (I have a 1 year daughter) I just didn't think to get right back on the computer to check the site because I had checked it late the night before....There was no way I thought someone was going to sneak in a new fight at the last minute
Svartorm
12/11/07 6:16:13PM

Posted by npayant

"Once again, the cut off time to update a fight is 12 hours before the event. The fight you're complaining about was updated at 10:52pm by myself, and the cut off was at 11am the next day, so while close, it was just over 12 hours."

And I check the next morning at around 10 am Mountain and it was changed and locked........

Still pretty last minute if you ask me.... I can see where 12 hours would normally be enough time, but not when you make the change OVERNIGHT....that takes up about 10 hours of time on avg. So a person actually has 1 -2 hours to maybe see the change. Like I said, unless a person stays up late to see the change or sets an alarm to see it in the morning... they won't see it.

And believe me...I was up at 6:30 that morning (I have a 1 year daughter) I just didn't think to get right back on the computer to check the site because I had checked it late the night before....There was no way I thought someone was going to sneak in a new fight at the last minute

Dude, I'm done with this. 12 hours is not the last minute. Its 12 ******* hours before the event starts. Now you know, and won't miss a fight again.
madmarck
12/11/07 6:23:13PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by npayant

Dude, I'm done with this. 12 hours is not the last minute. Its 12 ******* hours before the event starts. Now you know, and won't miss a fight again.

exactly and you dont have to camp outside your computer...... just check it 12 hours before the event.
disorderlyvision
12/11/07 8:31:29PM
awwww man got rif of my cheese post, i thought it was a nice touch