What Surprised/Impressed you the Most at 107???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What Surprised/Impressed you the Most at 107???
CwB
12/13/09 7:58:24PM
So many things to discuss...

Belchers performance/KO
-Belchers career has been a roller coaster of ups and downs, and I may have been alone on this but I thought Gouveia (someone who many were arguing would beat Maquardt / did put up a great fight against him) would be too much for Belcher... I am very happy for him and would now like to see him against someone like Cote, Bisping, or Wandy, someone near the top of the Div...

Mir's near KO
-I think most expected to see Mir win by choke, but we all thought that the other way the fight would end was by Kongo KOing Mir The F-Out, well we were wrong. I may have thought it was possible to see Mir KO Kongo, but damn that Left was Impressive...

BJ's ----------...
Dominance
-I thought Diego would put up more of a fight but he, like Ken-Flo, ended up just holding on while getting pummeled throughout. I was expecting to see Diego's rabid, nonstop, mix of strikes, guess not BJ proves once again that he is King at 155...
Opponents Gameplan
-Is anyone else surprised by everyone constantly trying to take down BJ, I mean besides GSP who has been successful at taking down BJ, doesnt every know by now that BJ's takedown defense is second to none...
Cardio
- I mentioned it before the fight, but, Penn at 155 does not have any issue's with Cardio, what may be his only weakness, which = no weaknesses at 155. His cardio may be due to his new conditioning coach or due to the fact that Penn is designed to fight at 155, not 170, but it is now official, No more doubts about Penn's cardio at 155

Ken-Flo's Dominance
-It surprised me, I may be alone on this again, but I was expecting to see Guida do what he does best - Grab a hold of Kenny and ride him to a Dec.- Instead Ken picked Guida apart and sub'ed em quick. I know MMATH is dumb but, Guida v Sanchez = Split Decision and Ken v Guida = Rd Sub. I think I know what fight we all want to see next... Sanchez v K-Flo ll

Fitch Decision
- JK, we knew it would happen... I thought maybe Fitch would finally finish a fight through GnP, but Old Faithful never fails...

The biggest surprise to me was definitely BJ Penn --High Kick-- To my memory (which sucks) that was the only High Kick ever thrown by BJ... Plus it ended the fight!!!! not by KO but the Replay is beautiful and shows that cut open right up... Amazing who would have thought (and dont say you knew BJ would win by High Kick you LIAR)
Khaos
12/13/09 8:04:34PM
Mir imprssed me the most. I was confident tha Mir would win going in, but I though he'd take at least a shot or too, or have to work for a TD. He proved all the trash he talked, and put him down, and choked hjis out with a guillotine from half guard, which is very impressive in and of itself.
postman
12/13/09 8:05:58PM
I know why they don't but a case for Mir by TKO/KO could be made because Kongo never submitted or Tapped out he was Out! The new Frank Mir impressed me
DosBox
12/13/09 8:19:23PM
IMPRESSED:
Frank Mir. Great tactic to fake the shot and come up with the left dropping Kongo and finishing seconds later. Big Mir fan, and I was scared that felt that he needed to stand with Kongo and I thought Kongo would have knocked him out. Glad it was not the case, Mir is a much better all around fighter and should not lose to Kongo.

SURPRISED:
Diego's gameplan, I knew that he would not have taken B.J down, and that he would fail at takedowns just like he did against Fioravanti and therefore would just have to try and stand with Penn the entire fight (I picked Penn of course). There was no diversity in his striking like there was in the Stevenson or Fioravanti fight, just a 1-2 and a left high kick. Granted Penn's boxing is much better than both Joe and Luigi, I still thought Diego would have tried to mix it up better and not just get his single stuffed over and over again after a failed LHK.

But then again his mental game could have possibly shut down after getting nearly finished in the 1st.

DISAPPOINTED:
Wilson Gouveia. He really needs to get in shape for a change. He has not looked good at all at 185, and 2 of the fights schedule he could not even make weight for. He gassed against Marquardt, and was losing decisively against Ryan Jensen. His technique does not break down too bad when he gasses, his cardio fails him and he folds (due to being in poor shape). There are lapses of time where he flat out does not come into fighting shape, but needs to either make a commitment to being in shape and hit 185, or bulk up a bit better to get a solid 205. In theory a move to 185 makes sense, but in reality he is just making a half-assed attempt to effectively make the weight.
Get in shape Wilson!

All in all, UFC 107 was a good event.
postman
12/13/09 8:22:32PM
I think Wilson needs to be droped. Maybe if the UFC lets him go he will see he needs to focus more and put the work in.
jae_1833
12/13/09 11:55:08PM

Posted by postman

I think Wilson needs to be droped. Maybe if the UFC lets him go he will see he needs to focus more and put the work in.

I agree....enough already with guys who fail to make weight numerous times. I know that Alves and Johnson have both failed twice and I think it's just ridiculous. I think they should put a limit on those failures just like they do losses.

Edit: Most impressive moment.......the Fedorish overhand left Mir threw!
jocka
12/14/09 12:23:41AM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by postman

I agree....enough already with guys who fail to make weight numerous times. I know that Alves and Johnson have both failed twice and I think it's just ridiculous. I think they should put a limit on those failures just like they do losses.

Edit: Most impressive moment.......the Fedorish overhand left Mir threw!

Whats even better is that he faked the shot by touching Kongo's leg with his right hand and just trowing that Fedorish overhand bomb.
higdon10
12/14/09 1:35:57AM
Mir and Penn were both equally impressive IMO.
State_Champ
12/14/09 2:00:35AM

Posted by Rip_The_Jacker

I almost wanna say I'd like to see BJ move up and Do a BJ / GSP 3. Or maybe they could do a catch weight at like 165.

Both of them have now officially cleared out their divisions. BJ has looked real good as of late.

I don't know if BJ has a chance to beat GSP. Although I do agree that BJ has no obvious threats to his title at 155. I think BJ will get bored with beating fighters that are so far below his level of skill, and he is eventually going to want to switch weight classes. He may be a victim of his own dominance.
scoozna
12/14/09 2:34:13PM
I expected BJ to be really tough to take down...but there were 0 serious takedowns by Diego. ...and worse, Diego didn't alter his gameplan at all when it wasn't working.
gartface
12/14/09 5:07:32PM
Surprised: That somehow Jon Fitch walked away with a unanimous decision. Not saying that Pierce should have had his hand raised, but that fight was closer than that.

Also surprised with how well Alan Belcher did against a fighter I thought would knock his block off.

Impressed: BJ Penn. Not sure he can be taken down at 155. The only person I can think of that could maybe score a takedown would be Maynard. His boxing is so good and he should have been awarded a stoppage in the first round.(This would have saved Diego a nice suspension)

Also impressed with Frank Mir. The way he choked Kongo out was impressive, as well as the right hand bait into the huge left hook. He's looking big, and I see him being able to take Carwin. He's going to knock Carwin out.
CwB
12/14/09 6:38:29PM

Posted by gartface

...Also impressed with Frank Mir. ... He's looking big, and I see him being able to take Carwin. He's going to knock Carwin out.

Woah woah woah woah... lets not get ahead of ourselves now, he may have dropped Kongo but Kongo had regained his composure by the time his A$$ hit the mat. Im not sayin its not possible but that is a very BOLD statement right there.
marcoDGK
12/14/09 6:43:00PM
Frank Mir and BJ Penn both so impressive. I picked both for the win but...

I did not expect Penn to look so solid out there. Diego couldn't press the fight without getting a perfect jab in the face. He barely looked like he was breathing heavy. The shear dominance of his performance was impressive.

Frank Mir said how he wasn't scared to stand up with Kongo and showed us all why. His over all improvement was impressive. Looks like Frank Mir is a whole new threat in the HW division.
gartface
12/14/09 9:35:47PM

Posted by CwB

Posted by gartface

...Also impressed with Frank Mir. ... He's looking big, and I see him being able to take Carwin. He's going to knock Carwin out.

Woah woah woah woah... lets not get ahead of ourselves now, he may have dropped Kongo but Kongo had regained his composure by the time his A$$ hit the mat. Im not sayin its not possible but that is a very BOLD statement right there.

And Carwin has a iron chin?
RearNakedJoke
12/14/09 10:22:08PM

-Is anyone else surprised by everyone constantly trying to take down BJ, I mean besides GSP who has been successful at taking down BJ, doesnt every know by now that BJ's takedown defense is second to none...

i think they plan to stand with him and quickly find that they are out matched. not everyone can be GSP.

Mir's big left shocked me most. looked like one of those punches Fedor throws with his whole body behind it.

BJ dominating sanchez was a close second. i really thought diego would give bj a tough fight but he made it look easy.
CwB
12/15/09 4:26:59PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by CwB

Posted by gartface

And Carwin has a iron chin?

No, probably not, but he hasnt been KOed and the only thing we can base his chin on is a solid punch from Gonzaga that rocked him momentarily.

Plus Mir hasnt KOed anyone recently either, TKOed a staph infected Nog and dropped Kongo...

again im not saying its not possible...
ziegler3334
12/15/09 4:47:45PM
GREAT EVENT!

most impressive to me.....
diego sanchez was 0 for 19 on takedown attempts. he landed 19 out of 120 strikes.....bj penn tried no takedowns and landed 120 out of 200 strikes. I think most of us expected bj to win, but WOW! i think most of us also agreed that diego had the best chance of beating him....and it was that lopsided?!?!? really impressive bj. he can't just jump to ww and get gsp....he could stand in line like the rest tho. maybe fight a kos or a swick. i think those fights would be fun.
i heard his trainer say that he wants to fight again no later than march. if thats the case, we could be seeing a jump sooner rather than later.
IMO, he shouldnt move up, 155 is where he's his best. the UFC should make it a priority to bring in quality LWs once he finishes cleaning up that devision. maynard and edgar are both near deserving; neither will win, but they're deserving.

most surprising......
how good mir and florian looked. i thought both of them would win their fights, but had no idea they'd look so dominant, especially florian. Mir looked great and he was HUGE, which he's going to need if he's going to evolve with the HW devision. And we all know guida is tough as nails, so that makes florians display all the more impressive. i dont see him fighting bj penn again any time soon, but he does make exciting fights for sure!

disappointing.......
CUT WILSON GOUVEIA!!!!
with all the fighters that get cut, how has he not been??? i mean they cut josh neer?!?!? but not wilson? he's talented for sure, but if he's not going to do enough with his talent, tough luck, hes out.

Will jon fitch ever finish another fight???? maybe not

side note: way to go alan belcher, that was a close decision loss to akiyama. if you give him the nod there, which i may have; he would be on a tear and just as deserving to be in title talk as anyone else. His next matchup should be a good one. Give him a quality opponent cuz alan belcher brings it. he has really won me over
RearNakedJoke
12/15/09 11:22:27PM

maybe fight a kos or a swick.

i would LOVE to see BJ destroy Kos!
jocksmall
12/19/09 4:12:47PM
i was most impressed by the quality of the fights on the card. maybe it just seemed better because i was there but i believe it was one of the better cards in a while. bj was the man omg. florian and mir impressed as well. with the exception of the fitch fight all of the fights were very good.
BustedKnuckle
12/22/09 8:36:21PM
Belcher is my pick. That guys has come full circle in his fight game. I made a thread about it in the lounge.
NatedawgThaM
12/22/09 9:53:38PM
How much better realy BJ is then the rest of the world at 155. I mean I atleast thought guys like Sherk, Florian, & Diego would give him a competitive fight, but he just embarrasses them.

Also Belcher is really becoming a beast. I mean he's not elite yet but he's really steppin it up, I think 2010 we'll be his cheer to become a title challenger. Also Stefan Struve, even though the heavyweight division still isn't very stack just confusing as hell to see who's the next contender since nobody really sticks out way better over the other, if he keeps going, you could see him up there one day fighting the likes of Gonzaga or Dos Santos again. I might just even give him Gonzaga next.
tylerlee123
12/22/09 10:23:52PM
Florian and Mir really surprised me with there perfomances, i knew Penn would win but not like that very impressive haha