Surgery Likely For Strasburg.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Surgery Likely For Strasburg.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/27/10 6:20:00PM
WASHINGTON -- Stephen Strasburg has a torn elbow ligament and will likely have Tommy John surgery, bringing the pitcher's promising rookie season to an abrupt end. Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Friday an MRI exam on the right elbow revealed a "significant tear." Strasburg will travel to the West Coast for a second opinion, but the 22-year-old right-hander has already accepted the fact that he will need the ligament replacement operation that requires 12 to 18 months of rehabilitation.

ARTICLE

I'm pretty sure that anyone who knows anything about baseball probably expected that this day would come for Strasburg. It's certainly happened sooner than I thought it would, but I'm not surprised that someone who throws as hard as he does and has the pitch selection that he does. Switching between a 100mph fastball, his curve, and a change-up is not good for an arm.

I hope that his surgery is a success and he's back on the diamond in a couple seasons. He should REALLY take his time with rehab and coming back, though. They were already trying to bring him along slowly and we're still here.
kopower
8/27/10 6:51:38PM
Just heard about this too. That's a crap ton of money possibly down the tubes. Liriano still isn't the same as before his tommy john surgery. Hopefully it's successful.
postman
8/27/10 6:52:06PM
A: Its a sad day for DC Rage to be sure. Sorry buddy.
B: I hear our idoit pitching coach talking about how he is going to make sure that our top two picks this year don't have the samething happen to them....All I can say is I hope they fire you before you ever get to work with them.
DCRage
8/27/10 7:29:03PM
Already posted about it in the MLB thread when the news broke. I guess I'd better learn how to control this bad karma, as recently bad things happening to me or my getting bad news has coincided with a Strasburg injury.
kittenmittens
8/27/10 7:51:59PM
Curse of the Expos.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/27/10 8:01:07PM

Posted by DCRage

Already posted about it in the MLB thread when the news broke. I guess I'd better learn how to control this bad karma, as recently bad things happening to me or my getting bad news has coincided with a Strasburg injury.

Sorry bro, I figure when it comes to HUGE sports stories I just give them their own thread since most people wouldn't check the MLB thread otherwise.

You know me, I just post sports stories, haha. I'm the PG Sports News Guru.
DCRage
8/27/10 8:40:57PM

Posted by kittenmittens

Curse of the Expos.

Actually, in DC we have what we call the Curse Of Les Boulez.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/27/10 9:13:00PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by kittenmittens

Curse of the Expos.

Actually, in DC we have what we call the Curse Of Les Boulez.

The Curse of the Bullets. Personally I liked Bullets more than I like Wizards.
Jackelope
8/27/10 9:37:18PM
First Brandon Webb, now this. 2 great new pitchers who seem to be steroid-free are dropping like flies.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/27/10 10:25:07PM

Posted by Jackelope

First Brandon Webb, now this. 2 great new pitchers who seem to be steroid-free are dropping like flies.

To be honest, it's less to do with steroids and more to do with the fact that he's throwing an 87mph change-up. Pitching is not natural to the body and that kind of wrist, elbow, and arm movement is going to take its toll on the body. Strasburg's change-up is faster than Wakefield or Moyer's fastball, that's going to cause even more damage to the arm.

This is why the Red Sox played it smart and have Bard in the bullpen. He throws 100-102mph and has an 85mph change-up, but they only want him to throw an inning or two of work.
Shawn91111
8/27/10 11:55:21PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Jackelope

To be honest, it's less to do with steroids and more to do with the fact that he's throwing an 87mph change-up. Pitching is not natural to the body and that kind of wrist, elbow, and arm movement is going to take its toll on the body. Strasburg's change-up is faster than Wakefield or Moyer's fastball, that's going to cause even more damage to the arm.

This is why the Red Sox played it smart and have Bard in the bullpen. He throws 100-102mph and has an 85mph change-up, but they only want him to throw an inning or two of work.

Hence why Bard is able to throw that hard is because he knows he is only going an inning or so. He is not going to sustain that going 90+ pitches.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/28/10 12:55:07AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Jackelope

Hence why Bard is able to throw that hard is because he knows he is only going an inning or so. He is not going to sustain that going 90+ pitches.

Absolutely correct. The human body isn't meant throw like that period, let alone 90+ times a game. Fireballers have consistently needed TJ surgery.

If the "Natinals" are smart, they won't let Strasburg try and come back in 9-10 months like some pitchers try to do.