Not sure what is going on

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Not sure what is going on
Rush
9/6/10 6:31:53PM
As UFN 22 approaches I am left sitting here thinking, "ok I will get around to watching it some time after it airs and that I hope I get all my picks in this time"

I don't know, lately I have not had the fire to watch or be interested in MMA, this includes longing for few upcoming fights and keeping up with what is happening outside of the UFC (I am a big Pride-Dream fan). I have found few discussions on the forums worth joining. I'm starting to wonder if I am losing interest in MMA. It's not like I have found a new interest that is occupying my time nor do I feel like I have any problem with MMA.

I am wondering if it's because I don't have any friends that are interested in MMA for either training or watching in the Bay area? Or is it because I am trying to juggle family life and fitness with career building work at UCB? Or is it because I have stopped training in martial arts for almost a year now?

Maybe part of it has to do with my camp having no discussion whatsoever unless it deals with actual training in Toronto. Maybe I need to leave my camp, despite them being good buddies (in real life).

I don't know. I am kind of feeling bummed about the whole idea of it. I have been a fan of MMA for 14 years or so (since UFC 2) and the thought of losing interest in a passion that I have had for that long, yet I don't know why, is disturbing to me. I am wondering if I should just pack it all in and move on, but there is something that is holding me back.

Anyone else experience/experiencing this (or have they already left??) and can share their thoughts?
jae_1833
9/6/10 6:37:40PM
The forums get old some times....see new fights up and coming and if your like me you decide who you like to win pretty much upon seeing the match up. Then it's a waiting game......if your interested I'm sure Emfleek would be interested in you joining Sabotage Inc.....just PM him if you'd like. We discuss a lot of things (including fights) in our forums. If your just overall burnt out then I'd suggest taking a break from your level of activity, just watch the fights and stay off the forums for a bit until something rejuvinates your interest.....take it easy!
tcunningham
9/6/10 8:04:12PM
i agree, take a break. or start training again.
BlueSkiesBurn
9/6/10 8:20:47PM
Rush, as a fellow grad student, I can say that sometimes the apathy is generated from the fact that you realize there's more important things in life than picking for a game every other week or so.

The whole reason that fantasy sports are interesting is because there's a hiatus from the sport during the off season and by the time you're supposed to pick your new fantasy team the sport has been off the air so long that you're rocked and ready to go.

I will also say that as you get into higher education people's interest seems to have waned in sports like MMA because of the nature of graduate/Ph.D. students as opposed to the nature of MMA fans.

I can however offer you a childhood friend of mine who'd finishing his doctorate in the bay area. His field is similar to yours and he watches MMA and trains MMA. He's also a family man, so you'll share that aspect as well.

I agree with Jae, PM Fleek if you want to switch camps, we'd LOVE to have you in Sabatoge.
Rush
9/9/10 10:41:50PM

Posted by jae_1833

The forums get old some times....see new fights up and coming and if your like me you decide who you like to win pretty much upon seeing the match up. Then it's a waiting game......if your interested I'm sure Emfleek would be interested in you joining Sabotage Inc.....just PM him if you'd like. We discuss a lot of things (including fights) in our forums. If your just overall burnt out then I'd suggest taking a break from your level of activity, just watch the fights and stay off the forums for a bit until something rejuvinates your interest.....take it easy!

Thanks Jae

It's not just the forums, but MMA in general. I think the thing is that MMA has always been something that I shared with close friends and now that I have moved away none of them are around.

I'll consider contacting Emfleek about switching camps.If anything I would do it in the new season so I don't bring the group average down (I missed picking an event and have also struggled with a couple other events this season.)

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Rush, as a fellow grad student, I can say that sometimes the apathy is generated from the fact that you realize there's more important things in life than picking for a game every other week or so.

The whole reason that fantasy sports are interesting is because there's a hiatus from the sport during the off season and by the time you're supposed to pick your new fantasy team the sport has been off the air so long that you're rocked and ready to go.

I will also say that as you get into higher education people's interest seems to have waned in sports like MMA because of the nature of graduate/Ph.D. students as opposed to the nature of MMA fans.

I can however offer you a childhood friend of mine who'd finishing his doctorate in the bay area. His field is similar to yours and he watches MMA and trains MMA. He's also a family man, so you'll share that aspect as well.

I agree with Jae, PM Fleek if you want to switch camps, we'd LOVE to have you in Sabatoge.

There is certainly a paucity of MMA fans in higher education. Sometimes I am almost ashamed to admit I am a fan in fear of a stigma.

If your friend is close to UC Berkeley then try and hook me up, but anything farther than a short bike ride from campus and I pretty much can't do it. Where does he train BTW? The only MMA(ish) school that I have seen in my area is the Ralph Gracie academy in Berkeley and the Cesar Gracie school in Concord/Pleasant hill, the latter not interesting me one bit.