Suppliment question...Is this normal?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Suppliment question...Is this normal?
bojangalz
12/25/08 12:31:56AM
So I've been lifting for about 10 weeks now trying to gain a little muscle mass. I decided a while ago to try some suppliment shakes. I hadn't done a whole lot of research, just saw some at the local walmart and said "what the hell". So I picked up some Six Star Muscle brand "Muscle Milkshake" for starters. (I know it's not top of the line stuff, but it's affordable and I don't have to pay for shipping)

Here is my question...Is this stuff supposed to make you fart this much?! Good Lord! I drank some after my workout, and before going to work. I kid you not, I literally had to stop my squad car in the middle of nowhere and get out it was so bad. I smoked myself out of my own car, not sure how often that happens to someone. And it goes all damn day...The stuff is like slow-burning rocket fuel. Needless to say my wife didn't care for that stuff much.

I finished off the can, then switch to whey protien and haven't had any problems since...Until my wife picked up the wrong stuff the other day. I wasn't even paying attention to the can when I mixed it up. Sure enough, about 20 minutes later I was clearing the room. I've already opend the can, so I'm not letting it go to waste, but it should be an interesting week or so.

Is this normal or am I the only one to run into this problem?
cowcatcher
12/25/08 12:49:46AM
not only did the stuff make me fart(shakes in general, not that brand), but i had sh*ts that were like i was out drinking guiness all night. i dont know what to say to help, but what i do know is this makes me
Twenty20Dollars
12/25/08 2:46:08AM
Yeah but not as extreme as you had it.
hails
12/25/08 3:11:42AM
Yes mate, this is normal!!!

But you only need a certain amount of protein anyway!!! Your body wont store it.

If I remember correctly you should have around 1 gram of protein per pound that you weigh as a guide!!!

Remember also that you get protein naturally in a number of foods!!!

Enjoy bro!!
Aaronno9
12/25/08 4:38:23AM
"Here is my question...Is this stuff supposed to make you fart this much?! Good Lord! I drank some after my workout, and before going to work. I kid you not, I literally had to stop my squad car in the middle of nowhere and get out it was so bad. I smoked myself out of my own car, not sure how often that happens to someone. And it goes all damn day...The stuff is like slow-burning rocket fuel. Needless to say my wife didn't care for that stuff much."

Jackelope
12/25/08 8:34:44AM
LMAO yeah protein shakes will make you fart and crap a lot. Especially if you're taking in a lot more than your body needs. A good indicator is if you're having a lot of loose stools/*****/dumps/craps/whatever you want to call it. Proteins don't digest as quickly as other things like carbs and sugars, so your body will just push them right through your digestive track and into your bowels without even breaking them down.

As for the farts- like I said, that's also normal. Farts are basically just gasses from your bowels and when you've got that much stuff running through your system it is going to create a lot more gas. Especially since a lot of protein shakes are also high in carbs- which is why I'd assume the one type of shake gives you more farts. It is probably a lower quality shake that is high in carbs.

In time the more you work out and the more your body gets used to protein shakes the farts and ***** will subside, but you will always crap and fart more while you're taking them. If you find yourself to be in huge excess just trim a little off your scoops because most people can't process all the protein that is in shakes anyway. (Especially depending on how soon you eat them after meals/workouts)

Also, on a side note

Edit: BTW, how much do you weigh and how much protein intake a day are we talking here? That'll give us a gauge for how much you should be taking in. Usually if you're semi-active the max is 1 1/2 X your body weight in protein a day
bojangalz
12/25/08 10:50:26AM

Posted by Jackelope
Edit: BTW, how much do you weigh and how much protein intake a day are we talking here? That'll give us a gauge for how much you should be taking in. Usually if you're semi-active the max is 1 1/2 X your body weight in protein a day

Since I started using the suppliments I've done a little research. I'm rught around 1 gram per pound, or maybe a little less as it is. So I know I'm not going overboard. The whey hasn't given me any trouble at all. So I'm guessing it's just something in the milk shake.

I put on the first five pounds in just a week or two; but I'm guessing I was a little under weight (5-9, 155 pounds) I've been at 160 for several weeks now, but I've noticed a pretty signifigant increase in strength. Since that's the ultimate, I'm not too worried that I haven't gained any weight.
Gipper
12/25/08 11:46:36AM
try some sort of recovery drink. i've noticed a huge difference in my recovery and muscle mass.

Jackelope
12/25/08 4:18:30PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by Jackelope

Since I started using the suppliments I've done a little research. I'm rught around 1 gram per pound, or maybe a little less as it is. So I know I'm not going overboard. The whey hasn't given me any trouble at all. So I'm guessing it's just something in the milk shake.

I put on the first five pounds in just a week or two; but I'm guessing I was a little under weight (5-9, 155 pounds) I've been at 160 for several weeks now, but I've noticed a pretty signifigant increase in strength. Since that's the ultimate, I'm not too worried that I haven't gained any weight.

By any chance are you taking the shakes with milk? Or just water?
bojangalz
12/25/08 8:51:43PM
tried both...The milk tastes much better, but it digests quicker in water. I get the same "result" either way. I decided that maybe I'll save the milk shake for nights right before bed. I read that taking it that way with milk will allow it to digest slower over night. Woke up this morning without any problems.
NeaRMisS
12/25/08 9:31:42PM
Millions of things, casein protein is what you wanna take with milk before bed time. It is a slow release type of protein, which will feed your body / muscles all night long, thus when you wake up you aren't "starving"

Secondly, when are you working out? You wanna try and drink the shake with in 30 min after a work out, with some sort of carb. This way you get a insulin spike. Which will help absorb the protein straight into the muscles.

Really the only way you can fix all of this, is well playing with your own body. You are your own guinie pig. Have fun with it all, and just test things out.

I would suggest picking up a creatine and daily multi. That with the whey protein and you are on track with a very solid stack.

Send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns with certain companys. Also, really... Whew protein online is MUCH cheaper then in stores.

I've also tried about 3000 diff freaking kinds as well. So I can tell you which ones to stay away from.
lochie
12/25/08 9:34:58PM
yeah bro its normal aye i get it all the time maybe not as bad as you but yeha i get it.

try taking it with water that helped me a bit
kopower
12/25/08 11:45:17PM
one idea for you is when you have someone in the back of the squad you could always use the other stuff and make the ride to the station miserable If the person is really being an ass just take the long way