Supplements: scam or legit?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Supplements: scam or legit?
Next Page »
Brick
3/2/07 8:15:05PM
I posted this in another thread, but thought there might be enough opinions out there to start a new topic on it. Here is what I said:

"OK, I've always wondered so I'll bring it up here. Any chance this supplement thing is a scam? Not saying that it is, because I've never taken any so I can't judge. But it just seems there are so many bright-color-label supplements, from so many manufacturers, with so many outrageous claims....I can't help but be suspicious.

Protein...carbs....etc, etc.. Can't we just eat some chicken, tuna, rice, pasta, etc?

Not meant to be a "controversial" post or an accusation, so let me know what you think. "
Svartorm
3/3/07 12:36:08AM
I've never used them and don't intend to. The way I see it, some of the strongest guys in history were dudes that existed before suppliments and steroids. They were just dedicated guys who knew a lot about nutrition. I'm sure suppliments work, but they're certainly not a replacement for good diet, and probably not worth the money.
migo
3/3/07 1:42:15AM
Obviously supplement doesn't mean replacement, that's why they're called diet supplements and not diet replacements.
Svartorm
3/3/07 1:49:35AM
Not all. There are plenty of "meal replacement bars" on the market.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/3/07 3:35:46AM
I use protien powder because I cant afford eating copious amounts of meats everyday.

Eating whole foods is better than supplements but who has the time to prepare healthy high carb/protien/good fat meals six times a day
migo
3/3/07 4:44:35AM
Then they're not supplements.
Svartorm
3/3/07 5:37:13AM
Sure they are.

A supplement is something you use to round out your diet to keep you healthy, or augment your body. Protein power, weight gainer, and all that stuff are suppliments, but so are meal replacement bars, diet shakes, etc You can't live off of those bars or shakes though, so they're a suppliment to your diet.

What I meant by "they're not a replacement for a good diet" is that I think a good diet is better than drinking xyience and eating a pizza. Suppliments will never do better for you than taking the the same nutrients, proteins, etc from real food.
bayonetxwork
3/3/07 3:15:41PM
For the most part they are legit. Protein supplements are for sure legit, the only place it starts getting sketchy is with the creatine, NO, etc. I'm not too sure about that stuff.
migo
3/3/07 7:24:19PM

Posted by Svartorm

Sure they are.

A supplement is something you use to round out your diet to keep you healthy, or augment your body. Protein power, weight gainer, and all that stuff are suppliments, but so are meal replacement bars, diet shakes, etc You can't live off of those bars or shakes though, so they're a suppliment to your diet.

What I meant by "they're not a replacement for a good diet" is that I think a good diet is better than drinking xyience and eating a pizza. Suppliments will never do better for you than taking the the same nutrients, proteins, etc from real food.

The idea behind a supplement is you add it to your diet because you can't get it through normal foods. A meal replacement bar is designed to be eaten when you don't have the time to get a regular meal, and is not a supplement. A diet shake is designed for a different purpose, as supplements are designed to help you gain muscle mass, while diet shakes are designed to help you lose weight.

The reason supplements are called supplements is because they are designed to supplement your diet. Saying a supplement isn't a replacement, while true, is about as insightful as saying cheese isn't a vegetable.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/4/07 1:47:38PM

Posted by migo

Posted by Svartorm

Sure they are.

The idea behind a supplement is you add it to your diet because you can't get it through normal foods. A meal replacement bar is designed to be eaten when you don't have the time to get a regular meal, and is not a supplement. A diet shake is designed for a different purpose, as supplements are designed to help you gain muscle mass, while diet shakes are designed to help you lose weight.

The reason supplements are called supplements is because they are designed to supplement your diet. Saying a supplement isn't a replacement, while true, is about as insightful as saying cheese isn't a vegetable.

Diet shakes help you lose wieght while protien shakes help you gain wieght?

How many "diet shakes" have you had without it containing protien?
I love when people come up with the most random ideas about nutrition.
bayonetxwork
3/4/07 2:40:39PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Just like eating before bed will get you fat, right?

lmao. I love the myths of nutrition.
fedorwins1
3/4/07 6:54:02PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Eating before going to bed isn't good for u, seriously
migo
3/4/07 6:58:07PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by migo

Posted by Svartorm

Sure they are.

If you're just taking protein and fibre and low carbs you'll lose weight in the short term. Protein + carbs will help you gain weight. How many diet shakes have you seen that contain large ammounts of carbs?
argile
3/4/07 10:41:20PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

They've always said, maybe if you didn't work out or weren't active you'd notice, I don't know. As far as supplements you probably wont feel any different besides peace of mind, I've heard many times that brand matters with vitamins.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/5/07 1:29:15PM

Posted by migo

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by migo

Posted by Svartorm

Sure they are.

If you're just taking protein and fibre and low carbs you'll lose weight in the short term. Protein + carbs will help you gain weight. How many diet shakes have you seen that contain large ammounts of carbs?

Not any. But your points are really off. No offence. Im a 2nd year Human Kinetics student and I have a small grasp on human anatomy/phsysiology along with basic and intermediate knowledge on sports nutrition.Im not saying I know it all but I know enough about nutrition to know that your talk on supplement and replacement theory is really random and makes no sense.

No offence at all!!
migo
3/5/07 2:12:20PM
I tutor 4th year HKin, that doesn't mean much, but neither does being in 2nd year HKin. I've also cut 8lbs in 36 hours eating just protein. I've gained the same ammount of weight over a week eating a mix of protein, carbs and fat.

-There are diets specifically based around high protein/low carb that do work in the short term
-Wrestlers and other weight class athletes cut weight using high protein-low/no carb diets
-Weight lifters and body builders, and anyone who wants to gain weight, eat a mix of protein, carbs and fat

No offense taken, you didn't provide any meaningful information in your post. You can claim you know what you're talking about but if you don't back it up it doesn't matter.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/5/07 3:34:33PM
What exactly were we arguing about? Your rant on supplements vs meal replacements is what I was arguing about, not the obvious info about weightloss vs carbs etc

So ya, I had no pertinent input on diet shakes because I was really never arguing about that.

And nice random facts to make yourself seem smart at the end there. You could get that info off a cereal box.lol

And you tutor 4th year Hkin? so does that mean you have your degree? If so your program blows.

migo
3/5/07 10:01:08PM
I wasn't ranting about anything. I was saying supplements aren't replacements. Nobody thinks they are, because they're called supplements. It's simple English. Saying supplements aren't a replacement for a good diet is a useless thing to say because nobody tries to live on protein powder.

I tutor 4th year HKin because I'm better at teaching than the people who have the degrees.
Svartorm
3/6/07 1:48:22AM

Posted by Svartorm

I explained myself several posts ago. I know no one lives on protein powder. There are people who get the majority of their nutrients from such things though, and then eat McDonalds or pizza, or go drinking all the time, etc. I feel a proper diet can do just as much for you as suppliments. Thats all that was said.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/6/07 2:56:03AM

Posted by migo

I wasn't ranting about anything. I was saying supplements aren't replacements. Nobody thinks they are, because they're called supplements. It's simple English. Saying supplements aren't a replacement for a good diet is a useless thing to say because nobody tries to live on protein powder.

I tutor 4th year HKin because I'm better at teaching than the people who have the degrees.

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up.

At my school the only people that can tutor in subject areas are people who actually complete the courses and know the material being taught.
What a strange tutoring system where people can tutor others without actually having done the work themselves...Mabe you have a backround in Biology or something?

bayonetxwork
3/6/07 3:58:03PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

You kind of threw me off with the seriously, so I can't tell if your joking. But seriously, you should eat before you go to bed. That, as well as Breakfast are the two most underrated meals of proper nutrition. Eating before you go to bed will keep your metabolism running throughout the night so you don't store fats and sugars, and eating Breakfast will jump start your metabolism when you wake up, making it important to suffice good meals for both of these. A small whole grain based meal is good.
migo
3/7/07 3:04:26AM

At my school the only people that can tutor in subject areas are people who actually complete the courses and know the material being taught.
What a strange tutoring system where people can tutor others without actually having done the work themselves...Mabe you have a backround in Biology or something?

English major actually. I go over the course material and re-phrase things and put them into context until it makes sense to who I'm tutoring. The PhDs who teach the courses know jack shit about teaching, they fumble around trying to explain things with emaciated power point slides and expect everyone to figure things out for themselves. Took me 3 days to get someone who was failing their course to passing it on just the final with just the textbook and mostly useless slides. If I can explain a whole course to someone in 3 days so they can pass I'd say that shows I have a good understanding of the material.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/7/07 1:12:53PM

Posted by migo

English major actually. I go over the course material and re-phrase things and put them into context until it makes sense to who I'm tutoring. The PhDs who teach the courses know jack shit about teaching, they fumble around trying to explain things with emaciated power point slides and expect everyone to figure things out for themselves. Took me 3 days to get someone who was failing their course to passing it on just the final with just the textbook and mostly useless slides. If I can explain a whole course to someone in 3 days so they can pass I'd say that shows I have a good understanding of the material.

Nice dude!
casey64
7/12/07 9:55:54PM
I use Creatine Powder 12.99 for a 5lbs jug at Walmart.
Rush
7/12/07 10:25:06PM
Here are a few small points from me.

Eating before you go to bed - not good in my experience. Eating late at night causes me to gain 5-10 lbs (and I am very active). The most I will have is a little yogurt to settle my stomach. I have NEVER heard that eating before you go to bed is good for you, except from companies that want you to eat as much of their product as possible. Also, laying down with a full stomach is not good for your heart. I am a big proponent on a good breakfast though.

There are a lot of useless supplements out there. Even protein powder! How protein powder is prepared is important. Not only that, some whey powder has a lot of lactose in it which is not good for everyone.

Vitamins are also suspect in some cases. Some vitamins (usually the cheap ones) have a lot of fillers in them. Pure vitamins tend to clog the pill making machines and 'fillers' prevent that, which allow them to pump out more pills per cleaning and thus allow them to sell them cheaper. Not only that, having too much of certain vitamins can be bad for you too. Just eat a lot of Vit. C and see what happens to your stomach.

There are lots of supplements out there (like fats) that are already oxidized and thus no good if you take them.

Some supplements are not good to take in the long term because your body (like your kidneys) are not used to huge doses of certain chemicals.

Supplements are not an alternative for healthy eating, but good quality vitamins and protein powder are good.
masodd
7/13/07 7:02:35PM
whey energy is da best for me
johny_rotten
7/14/07 9:59:21AM
I don't know the science behind any of it, but I can say some supplements work for me. If I take NO explode before I work out I have 50 times the energy I would have with out it. If I take creatine monohydrate before or after I work out I am not sore the next day. I am sore if I don't take it.

You can be a DR for 30 years and dispute my claim, but you would be wrong. You don't know my body. My point is this is only relavent to you. Someone else can't tell you if they work. If they are helping you in your routine then good for you. If you choose not to use them good for you as well. The only thing science can tell you is that a certain supplement is potentially harm full in the long run.
lilz_gangsta
7/14/07 12:41:22PM
I use Myoplex chocolate, 42grams of protein plus other vitamins and nutrients plus you can put icecream or sumthing in it to make your own flavor
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
JGeyer23
7/14/07 2:43:49PM
so you're taking Myoplex to SUPPLEMENT what is supposed to be a good, clean diet and then you mix it with ice cream? Just seems like an oxymoron to me.. I know I wouldn't wash down a McDonald's hamburger with a protein shake.. it's just contradicting imo
Rush
7/14/07 3:33:45PM

Posted by johny_rotten

You can be a DR for 30 years and dispute my claim, but you would be wrong. You don't know my body. My point is this is only relavent to you. Someone else can't tell you if they work. If they are helping you in your routine then good for you. If you choose not to use them good for you as well. The only thing science can tell you is that a certain supplement is potentially harm full in the long run.

What about placebo effects? These are the types of things that have to be controlled for in experiments that test the validity of these things. I'm not saying you are suspect of a placebo effect, but there are people out there that mentally push themselves harder (which benefits them physically) just because they think they've taken the magic pill that gives them energy. Digressing a little, but sometimes the energy in these pills are because of caffeine and sugar.

I agree that if something is working for you (for whatever reason) then you are a believer. However, it may be working for you in ways you notice, but also hurting you in ways you don't.

When I take my protein powder I recover faster and my hair grows faster as well, but I know guys that drop tons of money on supplements and I don't see any positive effects. However, I only take the protein powder because it is a convenient alternative to a protein rich meal after working out. I would love the luxury of having a nutritious meal after every workout, but life doesn't work that way for me.

In my personal experience I notice the biggest change overall when I change my regular diet (like when I started cooking with canola oil) that any supplement out there.
Pages: [1] 2