9/14/07 8:26:56AM
To save yourself some time and money

Don't take Muscle Milk
and
Don't Bother with NO-Xplode
dP
9/14/07 8:44:28AM
What should you be taking?
This is besides following a sound diet of course....as they're called supplements for a reason, they're supposed to supplement an already well designed diet/nutritional plan....they AREN'T magic pills.

fish oil is an excellent place to start.
Training damages muscle. Muscles get inflamed. Inflammation promotes more damage. The more damage, the more inflammation. It's a vicious, inflamed cycle, and how the heck are muscles supposed to grow optimally if they're constantly inflamed? They can't. Fishoil will help with this....and will have you feeling better all around.

Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's)

Creatine Monohydrate
gives you more energy, and the ability to work harder, is what you might refer to as a 'smart drug' as you'll find your thinking is more clear.

Whey Protein supplement
Casein Protein supplement

Quality ones also....go, do your homework on the subject
grappler0000
9/14/07 9:30:55AM

Posted by hotrodttt

muscle milk

For the benefit of everyone...if you can answer this question in two words, you honestly shouldn't be giving supplement advice.
fullerene
9/14/07 9:47:22AM
Thanks for the long post, DP. I notie that your team-name is T-nation. Is that the same t-nation that offers competitive products to Muscle Milk? The same one that started the "muscle milk is dangerous because it contains glycocyamine" campaign a year ago?

If so, congratulations, you were successfully able to get Muscle Milk to reformulate their product so it no longer contains this ingredient. I'm sure a knowledgable guy like you was well aware that this happened so it makes me wonder why you would post like it was still in there...are you trying to help people or just sell your products?

By the way, the OP is not an MMA fighter--he's a 16 year old kid. And that's exactly the kind of person who should be getting honest advice instead of promotional material.
dP
9/14/07 10:33:21AM

Posted by fullerene

Thanks for the long post, DP. I notie that your team-name is T-nation. Is that the same t-nation that offers competitive products to Muscle Milk? The same one that started the "muscle milk is dangerous because it contains glycocyamine" campaign a year ago?

If so, congratulations, you were successfully able to get Muscle Milk to reformulate their product so it no longer contains this ingredient. I'm sure a knowledgable guy like you was well aware that this happened so it makes me wonder why you would post like it was still in there...are you trying to help people or just sell your products?

By the way, the OP is not an MMA fighter--he's a 16 year old kid. And that's exactly the kind of person who should be getting honest advice instead of promotional material.

I didn't promote anything by biotest once in the advice actually, I just don't think its worth all the attention that the stuff gets....NO-Xplode being another overhyped/overpriced product
fullerene
9/14/07 10:54:28AM
^ all-right. I have a pet peeve against overly cautious advice though, particularly directed towards younger guys who are just getting started. I know there are dangers, but some of the warnings I've heard like "you'll get cancer from Muscle Milk" or "you'll get gyno from Soy protein" or "you can get punch drunk from getting thrown too many times in Judo" or "you can get cauliflower ear from boxing"...aren't helpful IMO. These types of miniscule risks are far-outweighed by the reduced risk of health problems that comes with eating and training as a fighter.
danny81
9/14/07 2:30:30PM
fullerene. well i guess im not an mma fighte yet but im training to be one. sorry for the confusion. im going to buy some sort of meal replacement shake i can drink in school. BTW guys i have a really good diet, 6-8 meals a day. good sizes. 90% is healthy food. i just need more veggies only 2 servinging a day
kcomico
9/14/07 2:36:26PM
vitamin pack
danny81
9/15/07 4:59:57PM
whats wrong with no-Xplode?
dP
9/15/07 5:38:02PM
Basically, all scientific studies done on no-xplodes effectiveness (besides those done by BSN) say its junk....that it relies on placeb effects to lure people in

Its just an overpriced placebo
loonytnt
9/15/07 11:42:34PM
i dont take any supplements, i just drink my milk and train hard and i do good
jocka
9/18/07 8:28:56AM
like DP said you need a good diet first and a good work out plan, sleep 8 hours a night or so int order to give your bosy time to recover. What i would suggest is a good multi-vitimine, vitimin c, omega 3 and fish oil pills. Creatine Monohydrate for energy and endurance, glutamine for muscle recovery and a good protein shake.

Thats what i use and it orks for me. As for what brand of product you want to use you need to try different ones i think i tried about 15 kind of protein before i found that one ii like.

good luck man
danny81
9/18/07 4:36:56PM
how much glutamine should i take a day?
mrsmiley
9/18/07 6:32:42PM

Posted by danny81

I was just wondering that myself.This stuff has done wonders for me in the gym.I take it and it does everything for me it says on the container.I've tried simular products before,but never gotten an effect like I did for NO XPLODE.
jocka
9/19/07 7:30:39AM
i take 2 the spoon a day so about 10g, take it 5g at a time, i normally take one in the morning and the second right after i workout, just throw it in your protein shakes.
Muscle-Geeks
5/11/09 3:09:53PM
5g of glutamine powder prework out is more than enough, some may even argue that glutamine does nothing for you, but i take it preworkout with 5g of creatine. I also take 5g post work out, as well as a couple of other things.

It really depends on where you are at in your fighting career, are you where you want to be at physically? are you as strong as you think you should be? are you just trying to maintain a weight and keep your strength? or are you looking to still build muscle as you train to become the best fighter you can?

I would def recommend BCAA's pre and post work out as well as some sort of protein shake pre and post work out. Creatine will retain water in the muscles and if your diet is spot on you will gain a little bit of weight with it, but I think it is vitale for muscle growth.

Omega-3's are vitale to help the body heel its self especially if your training hard, some sort of magnessium intake 3-4 times a day also will help.
artofdefense
5/12/09 12:43:48PM
Easy answer? None, you're 16 and your body makes more than enough of everything you need. Just work hard and eat well. Supps are the most overrated part of a trainng regimen, particularly for MMA
Amigop
5/25/09 9:54:23PM

Posted by danny81

Thats stuff is terrible. my wrestling coach took that and your heart rate like gos through the roof and he would up puking later :/ and it didnt even help him build muscle or give him more energy. its just like an energy drink but marketed as a nutriton supplement

and to answer the question i would try natural suplments like flaxseed and fishoil. i never used supplements but alot of guys on the team did. also avoid muscle milk, not good. and avoid any creatine based supplements, they are bad for your liver. honestly instead of supplements you should just work harder
MuscleGeeks
7/25/09 1:59:02PM
4 staples in all of my athlete's regimen
Protein
Creatine
Beta Alanine
Fish oil

Avoid any nitrous products. Absolutely useless.
innovater450
7/29/09 2:40:21PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by danny81

I was just wondering that myself.This stuff has done wonders for me in the gym.I take it and it does everything for me it says on the container.I've tried simular products before,but never gotten an effect like I did for NO XPLODE.

No doubt.....i live by this stuff. I've tried alot of different stuff, and this is by far the best i tried.
MuscleGeeks
7/29/09 3:47:01PM
This is why...
http://digg.com/other_sports/Which_popular_supplement_are_you_wasting_your_money_on

Just my opinion